Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-09-2015, 13:07   #16

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37
Re: Need some boat suggestions

Columbia 41:

COLUMBIA 41 sailboat specifications and details on sailboatdata.com

They made a shallow draft version too.

Here is one:

http://santabarbara.craigslist.org/boa/5123169401.html
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2015, 13:52   #17

Boat: Swanson 42 & Kelly Peterson 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by fstarocka View Post

under 40 purely for sailability if there is 2 on board..

-

Don't let that particular length be a sticking point for ease of handling. It really does depend on the boat. Our 42 footer is easier to sail solo than our last boat which was 20 feet long. Sure, much bigger and it does become an issue but you'll find many boats 40 feet and over that members here sail solo. If you find something that you like the look of search the threads for comments on the ease of sailing that particular boat. You may get a pleasant surprise. You may also find that the boat you like the look of needs a crew of 10 but at least you'll have more options.

Also, given your need for storage, beam will be a relevant factor. I am not sure what is normal for various lengths but keep a tally as you are looking and you'll have a hint of the relative storage capacity of various boats. We are 13 feet at our widest which I think is pretty wide for our length but our storage capacity is extraordinary. Of course that is not entirely a good thing and it seems many a Swanson 42 ends up far too heavy because of all the "stuff" on board.

Happy boat hunting.

Matt

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Old 10-09-2015, 15:19   #18

don thanks - yes ive been eyeing columbia's, they seem to be pretty largely built - obviously its a game, but at least there are some good recommendations here - as usually, ill keep printing and adding bats to my collection of well over 100 I have already.

One of these days/months i might put a list of boat data together with some more info and comments from owners -
fstarocka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2015, 16:41   #19

Quote:
don thanks - yes ive been eyeing columbia's, they seem to be pretty largely built - obviously its a game, but at least there are some good recommendations here - as usually, ill keep printing and adding bats to my collection of well over 100 I have already.

One of these days/months i might put a list of boat data together with some more info and comments from owners -
Early Columbias are built well. This model (the 41) has the skeg hung rudder which I happen to think is better for cruising. Other than that I don't know much about them. I haven't sailed one. But given your list it seems the most likely model to meet your needs and will probably be the one coming closest to your price because of its age. But if you find one for $15k, or any boat like you have planned for that price, it is probably too cheap. There will likely be too much to fix/replace.
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Old 10-09-2015, 18:00   #20

Boat: Tayana

I would suggest a Kelley Peterson 44. great sailing vessel with solid reputation, center cockpit with walk thru aft cabin from interior or cockpit, might be a little price, but fits most of your criter, queen aft berth, 200+ of them out there, so take your time and find a deal, Owned mine for five years. Might be more boat than you want.

Quote:
Hi all - im still busy compiling a list of possible boats based on what ive managed to assess by reading etc..

Id pref like a pretty ok sail-able vessel (no barge nor racer) that can comfortably do the 5-6 kt average under regular.

Some of the criteria would be in variation from important to very preferable - note id like suggestions of boats that appear now and then and can be picked up for cheap -

Please dont lecture me prices, im not asking for advice here. Ive seen 15k boats sell for 5k because the owner cant fix the motor (which just needed some work on the manifold etc

* Center cockpit - I want something with a queen size-ish aft berth bed, and a passage connecting to mess without having to crawl up and back down.

* Pref 70s-83 boat. I reckon this was the prime era of fibre glass boats, good layering and quality control

* Im 6ft 2, so obviously headroom is a issue, at least 6-4 wd be doable.

* storage - Im planing on filling 2 scuba setups, so wd like to have a boat thats known for storage space. I dont think going by berth alone is much telling.

* I would prefer to have a centerboard / shoal draft combo for reefs. Im not 100% settled on exact design, i know full keel points best, a fin is the best compromise, but a 3-4ft draft with centerboard would probably be fine for coastal cruising.

* I would think 30-38 ft is my preferred range. Id like higher up in the 30s simply because I might have 4 ppl onboard (2 couples) and just two of us on other times, and wd like to have a little bit of extra room.

* Not exactly sure how to phrase this one, but some boats seem to have a wet waterline. with a center console this is maybe not such an issue -

* Lastly - I guess a boat that doesnt hobby horse too much (not so important), but wd be nice if this could be avoided.

I plan on cruising the Caribbean and surrounds, possibly for a year or two -

many thanks!
billmayse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2015, 19:49   #21

Boat: Looking for my next boat!

We all have our wish lists, but the OP should keep this word in mind: COMPROMISE.

Look at lots of local boats. You may find that a big aft cabin may suffice instead of a centre cockpit. Also, your criteria tend mostly toward a 40' boat, but you ask for shoal draft and 6'4" headroom...sorry, you can't have it all.

And finally, I suggest you look at the HUNTER 34 from 1980-1985. Good bang for the buck. If you have the money, HUNTER LEGEND 35.5, 1989-95...but it'll cost you double.
hamburking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2015, 04:36   #22

found tis - peterson 44 has a gr8 review from this chap -

Six Sweet Sailboats: Center Cockpit Cruisers for the USA | boats.com

and this is a great looking boat - not sure about internal passage - http://www.irwinyachts.com/Centercoc.../I41detpg1.jpg
Old 11-09-2015, 05:13   #23
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 48 Wauquiez Pilot Saloon

Doesn't check all of your wishlist boxes, but enough to consider...

Not bristol perfect but a pretty little girl...

$12.5k and she's yours...

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ed-141619.html

Mai Tai's fix everything...
HappyMdRSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2015, 06:40   #24

Boat: 1965 Pearson Alberg 35 #190

Google Allied Mistress, a 39' center cockpit Ketch with 4'6" draft,passthru,genset,freezer,air conditioning, queen berth aft, two heads, bullet proof hull.
jreiter190 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2015, 08:13   #25
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

What follows is written in a friendly tone of voice and with the sole intent to help.

Whenever I see a post asking about a boat or "help me find a boat that…" the first question that enters my mind is:

"What is your budget?"

With an adequate budget (funds or "asking price range") one can find a solution.

Without the adequate budget, it is asking folks to name what they would want, without necessarily any real fit for what you can buy.

My simple suggestion: Name the budget available for the purchase of the boat or the maximum asking or advertised price you would seriously consider spending.

Ask folks here to spend that amount for you, virtually, of course.

Once you name the budget (the maximum asking price you would consider for a boat), you will narrow the field considerably.

You have already answered the second suggestion I make: "Where are you located and where do you want to sail?"

So that leads me to a third question: "How far will you go to purchase the boat?"

For example: Your profile says you are in the PNW, but your post says you want to cruise the Caribbean. Will you only look at boats in Florida, or the Caribbean, or only in the PNW or elsewhere?

I hope these points help you. Good luck finding your next boat.
Steadman Uhlich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2015, 09:55   #26

Peterson 44 is a great boat, but what is your budget again?
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Old 11-09-2015, 10:55   #27

Boat: C&C Landfall 38

Shoal draft, lots of room, SCUBA storage, Carib sailing................. 32-35ft CAT
nwdiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2016, 14:22   #28

Hi guys, thanks for some great replies.. I am based in Seattle when I'm in the US but the Panama fees are nuts.. So I'd be looking East Coast, even as high as Boston.. And sail down to hopefully make it in one piece in Florida well in time for the crossing end of Nov..

Here is another thread I started..
http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...in-157326.html

With some more research. My budget is low yes, and I wd be looking for a bargain.. Sorry to disappoint those of you with 60-100k to drop on a boat, as happy as I am for your position I'm not in that league, and many have done what I'm doing so anyways.. My budget it low..

5-15k..

I'm trying to keep the size down for slip fees etc..

I'm grateful for the positive replies and I'll read up on each boat..

Thanks again, and keep the suggestions rolling

Some other boats I've seen are

Sent from my SM-G900M using Tapatalk
Old 07-01-2016, 17:37   #29

Boat: Cape Dory 25

As many of us know, A cheap boat is the most expensive boat in the end. However since were not discussing price, look at the Tanzer 10.5 about 35' long aft cabin that is available as a C/B , They are actually very nice boats that fit yur criteria. aft cabin with a nice large bunk. I don't see a lot of them for sale, but they haven't been made in a long time so you might get lucky. I have friend that has one in the DR and he says it's a great sailing boat. something to consider if you come across one..
Good luck in yur search
fishsail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2016, 17:51   #30
Marine Service Provider

Geeze Loweeze...a whole bunch of us have tried to be helpful and generous with our time, advice and expertise and finally we see the one thing we all needed to see--your budget AND it is totally unreasonable...You may and I say MAY possibly be able to find that perfect boat....but you are unlikely to find it at that unrealistically low budget. Sometime I wonder why so many of us try to be helpful here but we can't make heads or tails about what the Op wants. You are not looking for a bargain--you are looking for a distress sale, a handyman special or...well, maybe something worse. Many of us provided you with a lot of helpful advice months ago and who knows where you have gone with that? Here is what you wrote on your other thread "Im not sure if the Oday has a walk thru from the aft cabin - id hate to have to climb out and back in just to get to the kitchen - can this be modified? ie remove some fibreglass? " Whoa...first of all on a boat we know what the "kitchen" is called and your question about simply removing some fiberglass? Seriously? This would in all likelihood be impossibly difficult if not impossible and certainly extremely costly but then you wrote "I am trying to keep the budget under 20k!".....Please--if you are asking for our assistance, make it easy for us to help you and at least take our advice.... I suggest you do a lot more homework, narrow down your criteria and then come back with some more realistic and practical questions...now bring on the flamers!
Paul Annapolis is offline   Reply With Quote