Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-11-2014, 18:25   #16

Boat: Westerly Sealord
Re: Need to see out from all berths - boat suggestions?

If, when you wake up, you can see out your windows it means others can see in....

I would go for infrared cctv.
Old 19-11-2014, 18:32   #17

Boat: 57' Laurent Giles Yawl

Some friends have a CSY 44. The aft cabin has windows to the sides and aft, and it's own companionway hatch up to the center cockpit -- so you can kind of see forward on the deck.

I really like their boat. I don't know anything about it other than that it's a nice place to hang out -- the cockpit is just ginormous and so homey at anchor -- and seems to have a good layout.

Oh, or you could get a pilothouse, and sleep up there on the couch. I do that sometimes when I'm worried about someone dragging into us in a tight anchorage. But, as I learned, pilothouse = greenhouse, so we generally have shade covers over the windows to keep the boat cooler, which makes it difficult to see out of them at night.
Old 19-11-2014, 19:39   #18
BAM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RKsailsolo View Post
Oceanis 35 or even better, the 38.
Are they really Water boats">blue water boats though? The cockpits are huge, the brochure shows people dancing in the cockpit, if that fills with water - ouch.

The CSY 44 looks interesting, I'll add it to the list, thanks.

I looked at a boat a long time ago, it was a MKII and the owner's cabin in the back had a row of square windows that looked like something out of a pirate ship. It was really cool, in a pirate sort of way. Unfortunately, everybody and their mother makes something called an MKII and I've never seen one again or figured out what that really was that I saw.

To complicate matters in my choice of boat, I really like the sailing part of sailing. We both love to go fast, and we've done a little racing in San Francisco Bay. I'm one of those weird sailors that actually moves the traveler when tacking!

Has anybody ever tried adding a dead light where there wasn't one before? Does it screw up the boat structurally, does anybody know?
BAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2014, 19:56   #19

Boat: International Etchells USA 125 Black Magic, Santana 20 475 Ghost, Hobie 33 3100 Bruja, dinghies,

I've seen an observation dome above the companionway in a boat that did expedition work near Cape Horn... it lets people check on weather and anchor security without going into the bitter cold. If the sidelights/ports are too high to see out of from bed, maybe a strategically placed couple of mirrors could bring the view down to where you rest.
Old 19-11-2014, 20:06   #20
BAM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgscpat View Post
I've seen an observation dome above the companionway in a boat that did expedition work near Cape Horn... it lets people check on weather and anchor security without going into the bitter cold. If the sidelights/ports are too high to see out of from bed, maybe a strategically placed couple of mirrors could bring the view down to where you rest.
I like the dome hatch idea, and I don't mind popping up like a prairie dog, or even that the windows are high enough that I have to sit up to look out, or even get up. I just don't want to be behind closed doors with no easy way to see out. Plus, it just makes it feel so dark and small in the cabin with no way to see out.
BAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2014, 20:23   #21

Boat: Lindenberg 26 & Aloha 8.2

Quote:
Originally Posted by BAM View Post
Thanks all - I did provide notice that it sounded goofy. Certainly while we're actually cruising this isn't a problem, as someone will absolutely be standing watch 24-hours a day, and clipped on. I'm thinking more about the relaxing evening on the mooring ball or at the marina. And yes, I could sleep in the main cabin, but when unsuspecting normal people come to sail with us, it would be nice to have privacy in our own berth. I do like the camera idea, thanks.

When we charter, we've been enjoying the Beneteau (just had a wonderful week in BVI in a Beneteau 43.5, complete with "Painkillers" from the Soggy D), and for cruising around locally, that boat would be fine. However, we really want to sail to the South Pacific - and back. I've been told by some sailors whose opinions I very much respect, that the Beneteau will get us there, but not back. They recommend sailing there, selling it, and flying hoI will totally check out the Nantucket 38 - and I've never heard of a plastic hatch bubble, I'll check it out - thanks so much!
MarkJ circumnavigated with a Beneteau 393 so yes, if you pick the right model a Bene can get you back and check a lot of your other boxes. Not many monohulls are going to let you see much worthwhile out of a port by your berth. You are probably going to have to get up to look around. Some Benes have forward facing windows in the upper level of the house. A big cockpit is really only a problem if it has small drains.
clockwork orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2014, 20:33   #22
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Howdy Bam.

My first suggestion is to look for a boat with a center cockpit and a single aft cabin.

In the 40 foot or larger boats many will have multiple portlights in the aft cabin, so you can see three sides of the boat. Some boats like a 38 foot may too, depending upon make and model.

Second suggestion was mentioned earlier: get a dome hatch to put over the aft cabin. You can find those made by major brands and use it to replace the hatch that is already there.

Since you have a budget up to 200k, I suggest looking at Nauticat and Moody as I recall both of those brands having boats that fit that description, assuming you are ok with used boats.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	268
Size:	73.0 KB
ID:	92011  
Steadman Uhlich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2014, 20:37   #23

Boat: Samson C Mist 32

Periscope in the observation dome!
Steve Bean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2014, 04:58   #24
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"

Quote:
Are they really blue water boats though? The cockpits are huge, the brochure shows people dancing in the cockpit, if that fills with water - ouch.

Quote:

I've been told by some sailors whose opinions I very much respect, that the Beneteau will get us there, but not back. They recommend sailing there, selling it, and flying home.

You need better advice.

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2014, 06:20   #25

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 400

This is what you need. You can lay in your berth and check everything out from your ipad! If it weren't so pricy I would get one.

http://www.raymarine.com/view/?id=131

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
jacob30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2014, 15:57   #26
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Another boat that has an aft cabin with multiple portlights in that cabin, and a nice double berth too, is the Islander Freeport 41.

I will post a photo or two, but it suggest you search for those boats with due diligence and research.

This photo shows only some of the portlights in that aft canon. There are more that are much larger that are not shown in this photo.

If you want an aft cabin with good visibility on three sides of the boat, this is hard to beat.

I also recall that they may have a second masters companionway so you could pop up as you wish from the aft cabin.
Attached Thumbnails

Views:	216
Size:	64.5 KB
ID:	92045  
Old 20-11-2014, 16:01   #27
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

This is an Islander Freeport 41.
Attached Thumbnails

Views:	169
Size:	120.6 KB
ID:	92046  
Old 20-11-2014, 21:08   #28

Boat: Beneteau 473

The Beneteau XX3 series has hull ports that, like you, I very much appreciate. I'm not sure they all have the feature but for sure the 423 and 473. This series is also "pre-IKEA".

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
IntoMyHealth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2014, 03:57   #29
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"

Quote:
Originally Posted by IntoMyHealth View Post
The Beneteau XX3 series has hull ports that, like you, I very much appreciate. I'm not sure they all have the feature but for sure the 423 and 473. This series is also "pre-IKEA".

And opening ports into the cockpit from the aft cabins. I don't know any non production boats with them.

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2014, 05:41   #30
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Bernard Moitessier's boat Joshua (40 foot, built by Meta) has been copied many times and in different sizes.

Here is one of the features of his boat, the domed hatch.

Since reading his book, the Long Way, I have thought this is a cool feature on boats that are intended to go to extreme locations or for singlehanders.
Attached Thumbnails

Views:	195
Size:	96.1 KB
ID:	92087