Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-09-2008, 18:57   #1

Need Westsail 32 advice

I'm considering buying a Westsail 32 project boat. It's a mess.

Here's my questions; it's a flushdeck. Not the most beautiful girl but I must admit at 6'2" tall I can stand up straight in the cabin.

The people who bought her discovered rot and dry rot along with some termite infestation. It looks like thing have got way-way out of hand. Basically they have ripped most of the interior out. Now the job of putting it all back together is beyond them.

Does anyone out there have experience with the flushdeck WS32. Alot of the rot is up in the V-berth. this makes sense to me as water can not drain out along the decks.

I know that Westsail's were offered factory finished or a owner finish option. Did Westsail off plans or a manual on how to finish these? How hard would it be to return it to the standard model?

Come on Westsail experts. I need your help here. Please.
Solosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 19:21   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(
My first advice is as always, Do you want to build boats or sail? If you are of the project boat type and have lot's more time than you think you will need, I say go for it. Rescuing boats is good work!

I looked at Mico Verde's Westsail 32. I really like the Westsail. However I would say that it is a good boat for 2 cozy people at best.

This search thread links to a lot of Westsail threads and it may help you track down specific members who are owners.

"your boat" westsail 32 - Google Search
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 19:31   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Passport 47 CC
Send a message via Yahoo to SV Someday Came
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solosailor View Post
I'm considering buying a Westsail 32 project boat. It's a mess.

The people who bought her discovered rot and dry rot along with some termite infestation.
<Racing heart, intrusive memories, shakes, visual flashbacks, startle reflex>.....

BTSD!

I have Boat Traumatic Stress Disorder!
SV Someday Came is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 19:38   #4

What

MV, I didn't get that. I think it's a bad thing right?
Old 04-09-2008, 19:42   #5

Boat: Privilege 39 Catamaran, Exit Only
I had a Westsail 32 for seven years.

To my knowledge, the factory never made a flush deck model. All of those were modifications created by the people who finished the kit boats.

Ferenc Mate's book - "From a Bare Hull" shows you how to completely finish out a kit boat with outstanding results.

Bud Taplin at World Cruiser Yachts has been working with Westsail owners for years supplying spare parts for the Westsail 32. He can get you alot of the original stuff that went into the yacht. Visit his website at: WESTSAIL - WORLD CRUISER YACHT CO.

I personally would not purchase a flush deck W32 that was in poor shape requiring a completely new interior. There are hundreds of them out there that are in good shape, and some of them are reasonably priced. In the long run, I think the money you put in redoing the boat would be more than what the boat can be sold for on the market.

Kit boats are a problem for many reasons. You don't know where they cut the corners in construction, and in some instances, they made structural modifcations that actually damage the boat. When I was looking at Westsails to buy one, I inspected one that had very low headroom, and I can't figure out exactly why the ceiling was so low. It was as if the bulkheads were too short. It was weird.

You should also be aware of the fact that the ballast in the W32 is lead in some hulls and steel puchings in other hulls. My W32 had steel punchings in the keel, and I added 1200 lbs of ballast to make the boat stiffer. It would be nice to know what type of ballast was in the keel.

Westsail went bankrupt several times. I was told that as their financial fortunes changed, the ballast changed from lead to steel punchings.

I have seen W32s all around the world, and they are awesome tradewind sailing yachts.

If you are looking for a project, if you have thousands of hours of free time, if you have plenty of money, and if you aren't worried about resale value, then this boat might be what you are looking for.

I personally would invest more money to get a W32 that needed less work. But that's only my preference.

If rebuilding and refitting a W32 is your dream, go for it.
maxingout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 19:42   #6

Ex-Calif, funny I was looking at the same boat. Let me just say this one is almost free. But it is more a matter of what I get myself into rather than what the cost is.

I do like to build AND sail boats. I built a racing skiff and enjoyed the exp at great deal. I guess the other reservation I have is that I'm a sailor more to the performance side of the equation. Let's fact it, the WS32 is on the other side of the equation.

What about termites? I don't know thing one about them. It appears to be confined to the foredeck beams over the V-berth.
Old 04-09-2008, 19:47   #7

clear thinking

Max, thanks for your input. I think your right. It's not the kind of boat that make my heart go pitter-patter. It would be hard to resale in the end. It's hard to turn down a deal but I guess it's not a deal if it doesn't make it go swing!
Old 04-09-2008, 20:06   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(
Quote:
Ex-Calif, funny I was looking at the same boat. Let me just say this one is almost free.
You could have stepped on Warren's boat and sailed away. The price was great too.

I just hesitated about quitiing my job, emptying the bank and abandoning my wife and kid. (stupid, stupid, stupid - LOL)
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 20:10   #9

Max,

Hey if you think that was a good deal. I'm talking pennies on the dollar here. It would just take work. By the way, I just checked the site and there is a flushdeck for sale there. So I guess there are a few around.
Old 04-09-2008, 20:11   #10
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
MV, I didn't get that. I think it's a bad thing right?

I dealt with termites in the v berth and posted about the process in these forums. I was making a silly joke -- reading your post caused me to flash back to my own situation. Termites and wood damage is expensive and you never just how deep the expenditures will go until you start the work.

Michael
Old 04-09-2008, 20:15   #11
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

And I should add that your rot termite problem is in the same area as was on my Willard and to some degree Willards and Westsails are kissing cousins. And all of that means is that your sprit is likely damaged in some way, or there is some deck to hull compromise somewhere along the base of the sprit at the bow.
Old 04-09-2008, 20:21   #12

spirit

MV, you speak of what you know. And it sounds like you know plenty. They have taken the spirit off and cut away the foredeck. The deck beams are partially cut too. In general it's looking very very grim inside. But I have to wonder if the worst is over and the current owners are completely disheartened.

The price will be right. Not even a portion of the cost of parts. But do I want to get into it?

I wish I could fined a Contessa 32 project boat.
Old 04-09-2008, 20:28   #13
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Are there little tiny black balls on the v berth? Wings? Hit the walls and roof with your fists and see what rains down. Is there the ever-so subtly softly sweet smell of musk in the v berth? Stand there and close your eyes and smell. If there is the slightest hint of an odd yet sickly sweet smell, then you have the odor of wood cellulose becoming tiny **** balls and they are present. Or.... they are simply there in the form of eggs and when the weather turns warm, a few will swarm. Maybe 10. And you will miss the signs. Until several years down the road. And if the owners say "we bombed the v berth" ignore the statement and tack about 1500 on to dry dock, tent, and gas the boat for three days. Then check to see how the mast is doing since the sprit was clearly not handling its share of the load.
Old 04-09-2008, 20:32   #14

laughing here

MV, oh God that's funny. Only funny because I have not committed myself to buying this thing. Thanks for the graphic advice. You just saved me a friggin huge pain in the ass.
Old 04-09-2008, 20:36   #15
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

You want graphic of a Boat in a Tent?

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...h-10098-2.html

Scroll down a bit.

Vikane Rules.