Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-08-2008, 18:30   #1

Boat: Catalina 387 - Magical Dreamer
New boat modification question

I am getting a new boat, finaly moving up from a 27 to a 38.
Yes it is a big jump, but the CFO approved it

The back of this boat has 2 hatches in the swim platform area. they drop down into a cavernious hold. I was thinking of taking some pressure treated wood, cutting the 2X4's to fit around under the lid, and using hull to deck joint glue (353?) glue them to the hull.
This would give me a place where I could mount some straps to hang the power cords, water hose, and extra dock lines. Easy out of the way, and yet accessable.

Any reasons I will regret doing this?
Improvements to my design idea?

Thanks for the input.
Doghouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2008, 18:48   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(
Do the 2X4s attach to the lid or the structure inside around the lid? If the former it seems that hanging all that stuff off the lid would make the lid difficult to open.

2X4s might be overkill as well. Also what happens when they rot?

You might use a smaller gauge wood and then glass it in to protect it knowing that you can safely drill into it to mount stuff.
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 05:28   #3

Boat: Catalina 387 - Magical Dreamer
I was suggesting around the inside under the lid. I like the idea of glassing them in afterwards.

I was only suggesting 2X4;s because they are available. I will have to measure the available space and build accordingly.

What wood would be recommended for this? I have access to ash, white oak, red oak, walnut, Poplar, pine, some african mahogany and Persimon (american mahogany).
I do a little woodworking on the side so I have stuff laying around. I am leaning to the white oak, Persimmon and African Mahogany. All are known for their rot resistance.
Doghouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 08:01   #4

Boat: Bruce Roberts Offshore '38 - "God Willing"
Hey there, just select any native specis of wood, kiln dried not wet. The construction timbers, pressure treated aren't the wisest choice in woods. Just coat the wood in some epoxy, and you'll be fine. Any improvement to your lazarette aka stern locker will be a happy improvement. Sand the gelcoat with 80 grit and bond the wood straight to the inside of the locker, using some West System filler 'peanut butter.' Make nice round fillets. Specis wise, anything you have will work just fine. Myself, I've acquired some lovely black locust which will eventually work it's way into a new lazarette floor and pin rails.
usa-068 is offline   Reply With Quote