Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-01-2012, 12:43   #1

Boat: Leopard Catamaran
New Boat Owner - Aquarius 23

I just bought an Aquarius 23, ...project boat

A little smaller than I planned on, I was hoping to buy a Balboa 26, but someone beat me to it by an hour. The Balboa had one real good feature, in that it had a locking keel mechanism that could lock it up or down.

I was hoping for a boat I could trailer to Key west, and sail to Dry Tortugas. This boat is pretty trailerable, but with only a .36 ballast ratio, and only 23ft I am a little concerned about taking it that far offshore, even for what would be the most part a day trip.

Maybe I'll just have to sail it for a few years and see how it handles a good coastal storm.
capn_billl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2012, 18:36   #2

Congratulations! I am also looking at an Aquarius 23 right now, so let me know how you like it! Love Dry Tortugas, and spent a summer there once as a volunteer. Seems like it may be a bit far in the Aquarius, would want good weather and fair winds for sure.
monstads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2012, 07:40   #3

Re: New boat owner, Aquarius 23

I will have it upgraded, and most likely traded for a bigger boat by then.

Some things I will add.

1. Better head, a porta potty doesn't do it for me.
2. Lifelines - anything is better than nothing, if your on your hands and knees, they will catch you about mid thigh, and mid shoulder.
3. A way to lock keel in the down position.
4. No inboard diesel, but it is a sailboat after all. (spare outboard in locker)
5. Locking pins on pop up, lockers, hatchboards.
6. Improved rigging lines, change mast step to hinged with posts, (pins like the tamperproof doors).
7. pressurized water, run by a small solar panel.
8. Flat water tanks mounted on bilge, as drinking water and additional ballast.
9. Hand holds on deck, and in cabin.
10. A set of storm sails, plus a small cone sea anchor.

11.........A weatherfax, If it isn't sunny, no clouds, seas 2-3ft, and predicted to stay that way for the next threee days, I'll be in a protected anchorage. Doesn't mean there won't be squals, but should be short lived, and relatively weak.
Old 19-01-2012, 16:22   #4

Boat: Catalina 34
Congrats! I love the Aquarius. They remind me a lot of a Flicka 20 or PSC 25. Post some pics when you can, please.
Old 19-01-2012, 17:19   #5

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
Originally Posted by svHannabel View Post
Congrats! I love the Aquarius. They remind me a lot of a Flicka 20 or PSC 25. Post some pics when you can, please.
Please, could you tell us what about the Acquarius reminds you of those two heavy, long fixed keel mini-cruisers?

As I recall from the days when the A-23 was on the market it was viewed as a protected water trailer sailer. They got broken on SF bay (as did many of the days trailer boats, like my Catalina 22).

Not meaning any disrespect, but I can hardly think of more divergent designs than the ones you mention as being sorta similar!

Cheers,

Jim
Old 19-01-2012, 17:51   #6

Boat: Catalina 34
My bad! I was thinking of the full keel, heavy displacement Aquarius Pilot Cutter 24, which is an entirely different beast than the topic of this threa, the Aquarius 23.
Old 19-01-2012, 18:02   #7

Boat: Beneteau FIRST 42

I wouldnt really consider a Aquarius 23 for doing anything except sailing on protected waters, like lake sailing..
Read an article years ago on the boat.. had one myself, not for the boat but I bought a merc outboard from the scouts and they said I had to take the boat with the motor..
never sailed it, sold the trailer, and told the guy who bought it he had to take the boat with the trailer.......
If I remember right the boat was designed as a safe family weekender for lake sailing and with the retractable keel, was able to beach the boat without hurting it..
guess there is quite a following from lake sailors who trailer from place to place, and because of the keel, again, it sets low on the trailer and easy to launch almost any where..
Randyonr3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2012, 06:30   #8

It IS a trailer sailer, and the stock rig is a little light, (no spreaders).

But is does have two forms of ballast, (swing keel, and lead sole), and is designed to be self righting even with keel up.

In some times of the year the Gulf of Mexico can be like a big lake, I've seen it so flat I could see my face in the water. The boat just has to be able to take a convective storm, that can pop up any where without warning.

Like most of the boats of that era, the fiberglass hull is a little overbuilt. As far as form stability, I'll just have to take it out in a blow, and see how it handles.
Old 20-01-2012, 06:34   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by svHannabel View Post
My bad! I was thinking of the full keel, heavy displacement Aquarius Pilot Cutter 24, which is an entirely different beast than the topic of this threa, the Aquarius 23.
I'm not sure how trailerable those are, but definately a solid boat.
Old 23-01-2012, 06:35   #10

Re: New Boat Owner - Aquarius 23

A few things that I need to fix,

1. pop top won't stay up. how were these designed? I see a hole in the front that obviously should attach to something?

2. Rudder, anyone know where I can buy a new/used one for cheap?

3. Any other used aquarious parts, sails?
Old 23-01-2012, 06:45   #11

From what I remember, the pop top should stay up with just the hinges. Not sure about the rudder, but some folks have taken the opportunity to move it to the transom when they've needed to do work on them. I would recommend joining the Aquarius user group at http://groups.yahoo.com/group/aquarius-owners/ . They are fairly active, and have a wealth of information on the site.
monstads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2012, 08:56   #12

Boat: don't have yet

Congrats keep everyone posted. Let me know how you like once I get home from Afghanistan and back to Florida I will be looking for a boat.
scuba steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2012, 16:06   #13

Boat: Beneteau FIRST 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by capn_billl View Post
A few things that I need to fix,

1. pop top won't stay up. how were these designed? I see a hole in the front that obviously should attach to something?

2. Rudder, anyone know where I can buy a new/used one for cheap?

3. Any other used aquarious parts, sails?
If I remember right, the pop top went forward to the mast and a slid with a hook on it slid UP to hook the front of the top, holding it forward
against the mast.......
Randyonr3 is offline   Reply With Quote