Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-10-2017, 13:16   #1

New Boat Pricing

Hello All,
I'm new to the sailboat world and trying to buy a brand new Catalina 425.. My question is: After adding all the options I'd want, how much off of retail should I be able to buy it for? Example, if the boat is 275,000 without options, and $395,000 with options, what should I be able to buy it for (ball park)? Thanks for any help! And I look forward to being a part of this forum!
FLH91
FLH91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2017, 14:23   #2

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"
Re: New Boat Pricing

Discounts vary from dealer to dealer, location, whether options are from factory or dealer and whether it's a factory order or out of the dealer's inventory and finally time of the year. There are probably a few more variables. Have you asked your dealer?

I would prefer a dealer with a 12 month a year operation who has a large commissioning staff and a decent sales volume and more than one or two boats in the inventory.
Old 23-10-2017, 15:07   #3

Boat: Catalina 320

Well, I found one dealer advertising what appears to be a 2017 "Demonstrator" for $300,000, full electronics etc. I'd expect average sailaway price on a newly ordered boat to be $330,000 to $360,000. But I also can't picture $125,000 worth of options on this boat, they are pretty well equipped right out of the box.
2017 Catalina 425 In Stock Sail Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com
Calif.Ted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2017, 15:29   #4

Boat: '90 Jeanneau Voyage 12.5

I've seen discounts vary anywhere from 5-30% just in the short amount of energy I've looked at new boats (usually in the 35-38' range). It depends on so many variables, month, volume, model popularity, inventory hang, what options/margin it has, geography, whether they are a marina (many will toss in a slip, storage for the first year instead of play with real $s), full moon, etc.

I can't speak for others of course, but if I got a 15% discount and lots of little goodies thrown in - slip, first year winterizing/storage, maybe free equip package. I would consider it a deal. I'm guessing their retail margins are 50-60%, but it's most definitely a very low volume, high margin business where there overhead is high. I don't begrudge them staying in business. I do begrudge them scalping me for minor equip add so negotiate hard on that aspect.

Good to at least know the model "boat show special price" to get an idea...
sandrunner is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat