Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-11-2017, 17:28   #1

New boats

I'm seriously considering ordering a new boat. A production boat. Specifically an Oceanis 41.1.

My intention is cruising the Coastal US and the Caribbean.

I got a price sheet from a dealer on the east coast. Supposedly these are fairly inexpensive compared to others, but it still seems like a lot of money. Probably high price because of all the Irma destroyed boats. I wouldn't call this a quote, as it looks like list prices for all the options. Of course, nearly everything you'd want is optional.

So here's my questions:
Is there a typical amount of discounting on new boats? RV's have a default 25-27% margin, which is your starting point usually. Have no experience with new boats.

Is it typical to charge an additional "setup" fee? They add $12k to the final price for this. Seems high to attach the keel and mast/rigging to me. Should that be baked in their pricing? They add $2400 for freight as well, even though they are not even 50 miles from the factory.

Generator and air conditioning sound nice, but how practical is it really? All the videos I watch of sailors cruising the Caribbean are pretty much sweating it out without them. Generator is $22k and AC is $13k. The fuel tank seems small to get much run time on this, plus the additional maintenance. I suppose not having them impacts your resale value if you ever sell.

Do you all do your own engine maintenance when cruising? What do you do with all the waste oil & materials? Or is it better to just have a marina do it when down there?

Automation is key, as I plan on single handling. So in my view, a new boat is the way to go to get it. I understand I might be able to find something not so old with those features or add them. I'm definitely looking at used boats, but my preference is new.
wincrasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2017, 20:13   #2

Re: New boats

Quote:
Originally Posted by wincrasher View Post
Generator and air conditioning sound nice, but how practical is it really? All the videos I watch of sailors cruising the Caribbean are pretty much sweating it out without them. Generator is $22k and AC is $13k. The fuel tank seems small to get much run time on this, plus the additional maintenance. I suppose not having them impacts your resale value if you ever sell.
A big question to ask yourself is how much of a do-it-youselfer are you? Do you enjoy researching and installing/wiring/plumbing/etc?

On the surface, 22k for even a Northern Lights sound shielded genie of 5kwhr sounds high. But think about what those costs include: does the genset cost include (besides installation) also the 220v/110v electrical system for the entire boat? If you don't buy the factory genie then is the boat only wired for 12v?

Go to Defender or West Marine's website and you'll see that packaged Webasto aircon units are quite affordable. But think about having to install the ductwork after the boat is finished (versus at the factory when it is wide open). Is it something you can accomplish yourself?

Hopefully the answer to the "handyman" question is "yes," because doing things yourself is the best way to keep your costs down, otherwise the boat is a hole in the water lined with pure gold.

Resale??? If you spend $35k on gennie and aircon you will be lucky to recover about 1/3 of that at resale time. Most likely zero, although the boat might sell faster. The question for you/wife/kids is if YOU require those for enjoyment of the boat in the areas you wish to cruise?

How about inquiring to the factory what the additional cost would be to install those items at a later time. Perhaps negotiate that down to zero, up front, in writing.

PS - I'm like you, I love "new." In reality it's usually the dumbest thing to do... new car, new boat, new house, etc., but if it's in the core of your body then go for it
mako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2017, 14:38   #3

Boat: Island Packet 349
Re: New boats

Quote:
So here's my questions:
Is there a typical amount of discounting on new boats?
No, there is not. Depends on your negotiating skills and supply/demand situation. You may be able to get a free upgrade package. If you order at a boat show, they almost always offer some discounts there.

Quote:
Is it typical to charge an additional "setup" fee? They add $12k to the final price for this. Seems high to attach the keel and mast/rigging to me. Should that be baked in their pricing? They add $2400 for freight as well, even though they are not even 50 miles from the factory.
The dealer may sell only 10 new sailboats in a year. They probably relying on that “setup fee” to put some food on their table.

Quote:
Generator and air conditioning sound nice, but how practical is it really?
An air conditioner is a necessity if you ever stay on a boat in a marina on the East coast of the USA in a summer (including Great Lakes). You can have it installed aftermarket at half the cost.

A generator is nice to have, but not necessary. It is only required to run an AC at anchor, which you seldom need, particularly given the small fuel tank. You can use the engine to charge the batteries, or better yet install solar panels.
Lost Horizons is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat