Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-03-2019, 08:23   #1

New chain anchor: where to buy and what length?

We are looking for a reputable supplier of 12mm anchor chain in Europe with delivery to Italy. We have a modern 50ft cruising yacht that comes with 30m standard. Is 50m sufficient ? We are proposing to buy a complete new length rather than trying to couple two lengths together.
Snowdrop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2019, 08:34   #2

Boat: Amel 50
Re: New chain anchor: where to buy and what length?

Do you add ropę for 50 M of chain? What lenght in total ?
I would made 70 chain and 50 rope. Just in case. Costs od such chain Last year was like 550€ for 40 meters.
Freshman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2019, 08:37   #3

Boat: Bavaria Cruiser 40

Jimmy Green Marine in Devon.

I got my G70 8mm from them (along with a 33kg Vulcan anchor) supplied in 4 hessian sacks on a pallet for carriage down to Croatia in my car. Apparently recently they sent 100m of chain to Australia for a customer!! Service is excellent and they will give you a good price too.

They will also splice Octoplait to the chain if you want to add more scope without too much extra weight. I got 60m of 8mm spliced to 45m of 16mm Octo to give me the capability of anchoring in upto 20m of water or laying out a lot in a storm. You might want to go with an extra 10m of chain as that will give you a) slightly more depth to anchor in and b) that little extra for knarlier conditions.

You should also be able to find a reputable supplier in Italy as I think my G70 actually comes from Italy.
kas_1611 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2019, 09:19   #4

We have 30m of chain with 40m of rode. But if I’m being honest I’m distrustful of the rode - no reason why just me and agree Jimmy Green are good but would consider a supplier closer to Italy. Then again I have heard horror stories of buying chain from unrepeatable sources.
Snowdrop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2019, 17:26   #5

Boat: Amel Super Maramu 53 ft

Hi Snowdrop,

We have a boat of similar size. We have a 8 MM X 100M of G70 grade chain with a 35KG ULTRA anchor and a 50 meter anchor rode. I would not bother with 12mm chain because of weight reason. 8mm G40 or G70 grade is sufficient.

If you go to Turkey, you will need 100Meters in many anchorages....

For the best information on this subject:

Cox Engineering – A technical information resource for yacht owners

GL
Eleuthera 2014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2019, 18:24   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowdrop View Post
We are looking for a reputable supplier of 12mm anchor chain in Europe with delivery to Italy. We have a modern 50ft cruising yacht that comes with 30m standard. Is 50m sufficient ? We are proposing to buy a complete new length rather than trying to couple two lengths together.
Isn't Maggi Chain made in Italy?
bootneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2019, 21:44   #7

Boat: Bavaria Cruiser 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by bootneck View Post
Isn't Maggi Chain made in Italy?
That's the name of the company that my G70 is made by, thank you!! Knew it was Italian but for the life of me couldn't remember the name.
kas_1611 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2019, 11:06   #8

I agree, Maggi is one of the best
Maggi group

Lenght at least 70m, no less!!
And for a 50ft boat, a G40 10mm is enough, and better 100m/10mm than 50m of a 12mm!
Yellow bird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2019, 11:34   #9

Boat: Moody Carbineer 52

For my 24 ton 52 feet motor sailer in the Med I bought 100 metres of Ketten Walder super cromox s/s chain. Super expensive, but took over 200 kg out of my bow and has given me great peace of mind. I bought from Toplicht but Jimmy Green stocks this now; I have bought a heavy anchor from them so I know both are reliable and can arrange quite speedy delivery.
The finish on the chain has not lasted as well as I hoped (after maybe 200 nights at anchor, some little specs of rust are showing around some welds), but this is only a minor cosmetic matter, and the chain does pile up somewhat in my locker (but is much better that my previous half-inch galvanised chain).
I always use about 10 ms of rope snubber, and a 40 kg Rocna anchor. Have stilled dragged a couple of times, but probably operator error each time.
I would not buy differently if I were to need to.
keithw88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2019, 05:43   #10

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 473- 2006

My boat is 47 ft - Originally I had 45 m of chain with 20 m of rope spliced in -I have many times spent the night in the cockpit in 30 + knots of wind with the boat riding to the anchor without a problem - I replaced the chain with a 60 m length and 30 m of rope - I should have bought 90 or 100 m of chain plus rope . One major issue is do you have enough space in your chain locker ,if it is tight then you end up having to flake the chain IN and OUT which besides being tedious can be dangerous to leg and limbs - the other issue is the weight is in the worst place - all choices
GarthGregory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2019, 07:21   #11
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Cal 2-46'

Snowdrop, I just got back from Italy, Viareggio mainly. I stopped in at number of places including these 2 chandlers; Superyacht Chandlers, Leonardo / YachtCare, Francesco. They can get anything anyone could ever wish for. I agree Maggi would be my choice, they have really stepped up their quality game.
or take the train to Maggi in Olginate and carry it back, haha.
Chris

Tags
anchor