Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-03-2023, 15:28   #16

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar
Re: new found keel crack

Quote:
Originally Posted by MicHughV View Post
That part is part of the hull and is hollow (bilge space) the keel starts lower, after further investigation and a lot of grinding i figured that this is not a crack but a mold seam as many suggested, now i feel happy but also like a fool grinding it out

I have a Beneteau...it has a bolt on steel keel...looks nothing like yours...
Actually, the use of a glass stub keel with a bolted on ballast keel below it is a common design feature, and th e OP's description of his boat follows that exactly.

And IMO it is an excellent way to spread the loads from the ballast to the hull and provide a useful sump. Our previous boat, a Palmer Johnson Standfast 36 followed this practice and it worked well there.

Jim
Old 23-03-2023, 20:49   #17

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37
Re: new found keel crack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
Actually, the use of a glass stub keel with a bolted on ballast keel below it is a common design feature, and th e OP's description of his boat follows that exactly.

And IMO it is an excellent way to spread the loads from the ballast to the hull and provide a useful sump. Our previous boat, a Palmer Johnson Standfast 36 followed this practice and it worked well there.

Jim
And your Yankee 30 had a keel stub too, with a notch in it, no? Seems it's a strong way to go to me.
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
keel