Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-05-2013, 06:44   #1

Boat: looking for one
New guy in town- coronado boats

First of all, HI EVERYBODY. As I said I'm the new guy arround here ( you have seen a lot of us in time...i'm sure). I'm so new and so not english(my grammar will prove that very soon) and offcourse I have tones of questions. I'm reading this forum and some others for months now. I decided only few days ago to join you and took me some other days to start bodering you.I'm not a real seaman as you will find out anyway but willing to learn and to start a new life on sea. I allready started to learn from reading this forum and others. I have no experience at all( my year spend sailing kids boats in week-ends- Optimist class+ some small sailing boats under 22 feet in college... can't be named experience) but I want to sail. I spend 40 years on land allready and feels too much... maybe I will explain why latter. I decided to sell my home, buy a sailing boat and go arround, and maybe in time(1-2 years), gaining enough experience, I will be able to do a circumnavigation. I allready said I will sell my house but that will be about 100,000 USD so, i will have to buy a boat with no more than 50,000 USD(eventual repairs and upgrades included) and keep the rest for how many years of freedom they will can buy.I allready readed "How to make money while cruising", so I have some answers( tones of more questions, but that will be another time, another place). I don't want to think about that yet... BUYING A GOOD BOAT is my concern now( after selling the house...but that will happen eventually).
So my dream boat will be like this:
-nice interior
-sails considerably better in light winds
-big water tanks, average fuel(I don't want to spend much money on fuel, but i like to have a good engine for, let's say...just in case)
-comfort and safety
-furling headsail(don't remember the english nautical name)
-all lines in cockpit
-easy single handed
-solar panels(maybe a wind generator for "just in case")
-Compass, Log, Wind speed, good Radar,VHFGPS, Chart plotter, Autopilot, Clock, Barometer, Navigation lights, Fish Finder (not a must but if it is it is), AIS, Echosounder( or you call it depthsounder?)
-Liferaft or/and a dingy with outboard engine( for from anchorage to shore trips)
-Life jackets
-Life buoys
-EPIRB -
-Cooker, Sink(maybe a double), Fridge,Freezer, Carpet, Air conditioning(will be fine but not a must), Cabin heating, Pressurised water system,Hot water system
-Handbasin& Shower with hot water,Head (bellow decks)
electric windlass, at least 2 anchors(preferable 3-4, because i think...i heard that 4 point anchoring in storm can be usefull)
Long list, but is the list I've made reading and thinking about the subject in the last 2 years. I bring my own girl anyway .
I saw on internet some Coronado 35' boats that I know nothing about their sailing capabilities, safety, confortable cruising, seawothiness and so on. I found some between 25 and 45 k USD BUT I', OPEN TO SUGESTIONS, ADVISES ETC.ETC.ETC.,
Andy.
Only good winds from aft....is a saying in my country.
Andy H.B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2013, 07:26   #2
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: New guy in town- coronado boats

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy H.B. View Post
First of all, HI EVERYBODY. As I said I'm the new guy arround here ( you have seen a lot of us in time...i'm sure). I'm so new and so not english(my grammar will prove that very soon) and offcourse I have tones of questions. I'm reading this forum and some others for months now. I decided only few days ago to join you and took me some other days to start bodering you.I'm not a real seaman as you will find out anyway but willing to learn and to start a new life on sea. I allready started to learn from reading this forum and others. I have no experience at all( my year spend sailing kids boats in week-ends- Optimist class+ some small sailing boats under 22 feet in college... can't be named experience) but I want to sail. I spend 40 years on land allready and feels too much... maybe I will explain why latter. I decided to sell my home, buy a sailing boat and go arround, and maybe in time(1-2 years), gaining enough experience, I will be able to do a circumnavigation. I allready said I will sell my house but that will be about 100,000 USD so, i will have to buy a boat with no more than 50,000 USD(eventual repairs and upgrades included) and keep the rest for how many years of freedom they will can buy.I allready readed "How to make money while cruising", so I have some answers( tones of more questions, but that will be another time, another place). I don't want to think about that yet... BUYING A GOOD BOAT is my concern now( after selling the house...but that will happen eventually).
So my dream boat will be like this:
-nice interior
-sails considerably better in light winds
-big water tanks, average fuel(I don't want to spend much money on fuel, but i like to have a good engine for, let's say...just in case)
-comfort and safety
-furling headsail(don't remember the english nautical name)
-all lines in cockpit
-easy single handed
-solar panels(maybe a wind generator for "just in case")
-Compass, Log, Wind speed, good Radar,VHFGPS, Chart plotter, Autopilot, Clock, Barometer, Navigation lights, Fish Finder (not a must but if it is it is), AIS, Echosounder( or you call it depthsounder?)
-Liferaft or/and a dingy with outboard engine( for from anchorage to shore trips)
-Life jackets
-Life buoys
-EPIRB -
-Cooker, Sink(maybe a double), Fridge,Freezer, Carpet, Air conditioning(will be fine but not a must), Cabin heating, Pressurised water system,Hot water system
-Handbasin& Shower with hot water,Head (bellow decks)
electric windlass, at least 2 anchors(preferable 3-4, because i think...i heard that 4 point anchoring in storm can be usefull)
Long list, but is the list I've made reading and thinking about the subject in the last 2 years. I bring my own girl anyway .
I saw on internet some Coronado 35' boats that I know nothing about their sailing capabilities, safety, confortable cruising, seawothiness and so on. I found some between 25 and 45 k USD BUT I', OPEN TO SUGESTIONS, ADVISES ETC.ETC.ETC.,
Andy.
Only good winds from aft....is a saying in my country.
"To dream... the impossible dream..."
Where are you planning on sailing the boat... Coronado's are roomy live aboards with a gi-normous berth in the aft cabin.. but really only a coastal cruiser.. if you live in the US okay for the hop to the Caribbean... but world cruiser she's not..
If the boat has all the things you want it'll be more than you want to pay... or they'll be at deaths door..
Better to look for a good basic boat with sound hull, deck, good rig and sails, decent engine and comfortable enough to suit you... and minimum electrical toys... use your budget to buy new
Or alternatively... fly over and buy this... much more suitable than a Coronado...
Dufour 35 Boats for sale UK, Dufour Used boat sales, Dufour Sailing Yachts For Sale DUFOUR 35 1973 - Apollo Duck

You can't beat a people up for 75 years and have them say.. "I Love You.. ".
"It is better to die standing proud, than to live a lifetime on ones knees.."

The Politician Never Bites the Hand that Feeds..
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2013, 07:27   #3
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Oh...!!
Welcome to CF....
Beware... it can be addictive...

Old 18-05-2013, 08:27   #4

Hi boatman61. I'm an EU citizen and I will start in Europe. I will most probably fly an Red Ensign...my country and its regulations will be to bodering and expensive(I know that registering in Gibraltar is ok...I still don't know the annual fees). So, I will be in Med and arround untill I will become a decent sailor but after that I intend to circumnav. at least once.
Old 18-05-2013, 08:30   #5

@boatman61
What new boat for 2 people can I buy for 50k USD?
Old 18-05-2013, 08:51   #6

...and I will forget about Coronados...sorry for posting so often but I'm on my smartphone not laptop and I don't see the edit post buton ... that I just found
Old 18-05-2013, 09:04   #7
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

I was talking new electrics.. don't let toys tempt you if there's a better boat without them for the same or less..

Old 18-05-2013, 09:11   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
I was talking new electrics.. don't let toys tempt you if there's a better boat without them for the same or less..
Oh ok. I finally understood thank you. So, a boat from Europe will be perfect for me... Dufour look good. Anything else but with a generous aft cabin?
Old 18-05-2013, 09:12   #9

Re: New guy in town- coronado boats

mainly coastal cruisers and there are better boats for your money. A Coronado 35 at $45000 would be a very bad deal for you.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2013, 09:17   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
mainly coastal cruisers and there are better boats for your money. A Coronado 35 at $45000 would be a very bad deal for you.
Thank you...coronados are out of my list.
Old 18-05-2013, 09:21   #11
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Beneteau Oceanis 350 Boats for sale UK, Beneteau Used boat sales, Beneteau Sailing Yachts For Sale Beneteau Oceanis 350 - Apollo Duck

PS; Random searches... no affiliation...

Old 18-05-2013, 09:46   #12

No problem, I'm glad that I get usefull info.
Old 18-05-2013, 10:56   #13

Completion: can be biger than 35'
What about Colic Victor 34'PH?
Bavaria 38
Old 18-05-2013, 12:24   #14

Boat: 15 foot Canoe

Welcome to the forum. I think the best way to start looking at what you might want is to walk the docks and find people who are doing what you want to do and ask lots of questions and make friends who will give you a tour of their boat.
kind regards,
Old 18-05-2013, 12:31   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkiprJohn View Post
Welcome to the forum. I think the best way to start looking at what you might want is to walk the docks and find people who are doing what you want to do and ask lots of questions and make friends who will give you a tour of their boat.
kind regards,
Thank you for the welcome.Unfortunatelly in my country will be impossible with such short number of boats and sailors. That's why i try to make me an solid impresion for when i will go to buy my baby.