Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-08-2014, 05:20   #16

Boat: a sailing boat
Re: New here Colin Archer ca 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tellus View Post

took a post from another thread and agree:

(...)

The boat took half a gale to get moving.

(...)

The props are too far away from rudder.
Some comments.

How much wind it takes to get moving depends on how much sail RELATIVE TO BOAT DISPLACEMENT you fly.

CA are very voluminous. They have high displacement. This calls for more sail area (more per LOA as compared to a lighter displacement boat).

When adequate sail is carried, they sail as well as any other boat much as they will not point as high as a boat with fine underwater foils. A well designed, well sailed CA will sail within 90 degs true in flat water.

As far as prop to rudder distance is concerned, it is the opposite of what you say. The prop on a CA tends to sit almost on the rudder. The distance is much greater on modern boats, esp. those with a saildrive.

Looking for a CA boat it is good to notice if her prop is set in a hull cut-away or rather in a rudder cut-away. Those with rudder cut-away tend to steer very poorly on motor. Those with prop set in hull cut-away tend to steer very well on motor (forward). In reverse, they all pull to the side the prop walks in reverse until they get some speed when some amount of steering in reverse becomes possible (still not half as much as what can be done with a modern fin&spade boat).

As you noted, turning radius is considerably wider. Bad in the marina, good on a passage.

Effort from the driver varies with designs. Some are very light on the helm, some are hard to steer. No rule. This is a function of how well the designer drew the hull and how sails are distributed.

Hope this helps somewhat any potential CA owners to be.

Cheers,
b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2014, 07:54   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by oskarhhh View Post
Hello, my name is Oskar and I`m new here. I`ve been looking at the Colin Archer CA 40 from 1981. Does someone have information about these boats?
Not so much on the web.
Here 's one: Colin Archers For Sale
Tellus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2014, 08:47   #18
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BZT54 View Post
GordMay gave you two good sources. Here's one for sale south of your neighborhood.

1998 Colin Archer 40 Sail Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com

BZT
That boat has an outstanding interior that looks "warm, comfortable" and has had a "seaworthy design" (notice the handholds, deep lockers, sea berth).

It is small things that can make a big difference.

This boat evidently has an owner who knows how to live in that space and has a good sense of design.

I found this to be a very attractive boat over and above hundreds of others I have recently seen.
Steadman Uhlich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2014, 10:23   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tellus View Post
took a post from another thread and agree:
My one experience with a full length keel boat I owned wasn't that good.
The boat took half a gale to get moving. Plus, the long keel gave the boat a VERY wide turning radius, making it hard to manuver in the crowded harbor. But, if it's a blue water boat you're looking for, the long keel can't be beat. Once the wind was up and my course set, that thing sailed beautifully. Tracked well and easy to steer.

Beside the beauty and aesthetic of a wooden longkeeler, it is hard to handle in particular with hung rudder. The props are too far away from rudder. And our old Volvo wasn `t strong enough, 36hp by 12to displ. We had some dramatic experiences by strong winds in small and crowded harbours as well in Seaport Marina Ijmuiden/NL , where a finn keeled yacht can maneuver without any problem.
This is just inaccurate. Most of these Hung rudder designs the prop is actually IN the rudder or directly in front of it!
typical example: ALAJUELA 38 sailboat specifications and details on sailboatdata.com

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2014, 10:24   #20

Colin Archers designs of note: Ingrid 38, Westsail 32, Alequela 38.... hmmm... a heck of a lot of these have sailed the world!

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
arc