Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-03-2018, 10:27   #16

Boat: Oday Mariner 19 , Four Winns Marquis 16 OB, Kingfisher III
Send a message via Skype™ to Colin A
Re: New Hinckley Sailboat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don C L View Post
I know it is just an artist's rendering, but what's up with that mainsheet?? And I presume they'll be adding something for the helmsman to sit on? And I'd have them put in some big quarter berths and forget about sleeping up in the bow of a flat bottom boat. Even at anchor with a little chop I'd not likely last long with my head bouncing up and down in the forepeak.
I'm assuming they may be running the mainsheet thru the boom down under deck at the mast and out to the winches near the bulkhead.
Old 28-03-2018, 11:24   #17

It will only really matter what people who can actually afford one think of them.
sailpower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2018, 03:14   #18

Boat: Custom Swedish Vindö 50 (35 ft)

It's not an ugly boat, but I'm a little perplexed with regard to the transom. Why would a boat with such modern lines and wide stern sacrifice waterline by having such a large part of the transom above the waterline? Is this a nod to the old elegant Hinkleys with long overhangs like the Bermuda 40?
Copacabana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2018, 10:40   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Copacabana View Post
It's not an ugly boat, but I'm a little perplexed with regard to the transom. Why would a boat with such modern lines and wide stern sacrifice waterline by having such a large part of the transom above the waterline? Is this a nod to the old elegant Hinkleys with long overhangs like the Bermuda 40?
I noticed that, and I think that you are correct. With that stern, they are probably trying to rope in some of the old-school Sou'wester lovers. However, it is odd. I think that if they are now aimed at competing with the modern offerings from other builders, then they should have designed the transom to include a remote-operated drop-down swim platform. Then again, their market is rich people who spend summers in Maine and Cape Cod, and the water is chilly! I know. (haha) No swim platform needed. Just a little fridge to chill the French wine.

And, like someone else opined, I don't want to be a 'stand all day' helmsman.

I don't know. It's a bit of a shame. Hinckley is a world-class builder. Best quality and attention to detail, yet since those NYC investors took the helm my interest has seriously fallen off. Too many power boats, but they must know their market. Tab & Buffy need their million-dollar Bar-Harbor-summer picnic-lunch boats. (wink wink)
PortClydeMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2018, 10:48   #20

Boat: Gulfstar 41' ketch

Hinckley was bought out a long time ago. Different business model now... notice the resemblance to the "Picnic Boat"?!
sailor_ed is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat, sail, sailboat