Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-03-2014, 21:46   #1

New Horizons 26?

Has anyone ever heard of a New Horizons 26 or maybe even know someone who owns one?

Last year, I purchased a New Horizons 26 and have since been trying to locate any information available and others who may own one. Since there were only 175 made in the late '50s/early '60, it has proven to be quite difficult, so I figured I would just ask the forum. Any information would be very helpful and much appreciated.

Fun fact about my NH 26: it was the smallest boat to participate in the 1958 Port Huron to Mackinac race.
forvirret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2014, 13:02   #2

Boat: Judel/Vrolijk 33
Re: New Horizons 26?

Quote:
Originally Posted by forvirret View Post
Has anyone ever heard of a New Horizons 26 or maybe even know someone who owns one?

Last year, I purchased a New Horizons 26 and have since been trying to locate any information available and others who may own one. Since there were only 175 made in the late '50s/early '60, it has proven to be quite difficult, so I figured I would just ask the forum. Any information would be very helpful and much appreciated.

Fun fact about my NH 26: it was the smallest boat to participate in the 1958 Port Huron to Mackinac race.
NEW HORIZONS 26 sailboat specifications and details on sailboatdata.com

Sounds like you probably know as much as any body about it. It is one the earliest glass fiber production sailboats of this size, built by Ray Greene who was a real pioneer in the industry. And one of S&S's earliest designs that were intended specifically for glass construction.
175 is quite a large number for a boat of this size. (especially today)
I went on one a few years ago that had deteriorated quite badly and probably ended up in a dumpster.
No idea what yours is like. But it would be great to see a really well preserved (or restored example). If you have the inclination to bring one of these back, all the best to you. There is no more classic a 'plastic' than the New Horizons.
Barney Post is offline   Reply With Quote