Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-01-2013, 23:25   #1

New Orleans area questions

Hi there!!

I'm moving to New Orleans towards the end of the month and am looking for info on marina's and travel lifts. I also have some questions that I'm sure will get many opinions and I am just looking for answers, not opinions. I will need to be able to launch my boat from a transport service and am looking for recommendations for a yard with a sling or a travel lift that is reasonable. As far as marinas go it seems that south shore is the cheapest? Is this right? Also does anyone know the legality of just anchoring on pontchartrain for a spell before choosing a marina. As far as insurance goes, It seems many places require it down there. I haven't had it in years and haven't been asked to have it up here in the northwest, I understand being in hurricane land is a different beast but does anyone know of marinas that don't ask to see it. I don't plan on being around too long and won't have much money after the move.
paulmccaige is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 02:01   #2

Boat: Bruce Roberts 44 Ofshore
Re: New Orleans area questions

South Shore Marina is cheapest. It is affiliated with Orleans Marina, where my boat lives. Orleans Marina is better protected. Both marinas require salvage and removal insurance. For my Cal 2-27 I think I pay $337/year or something like that. There are yards all over the place, but I have never hauled my boat out so can't comment.

Nobody anchors out in the lake. I don't think it is illegal, but really... my 35' slip with 50A shore power available and free water costs me $565 a quarter. There was a long waiting list but now there are often slips to be had. How big is your boat? I am pretty sure Orleans Marina can only accomodate up to about 60' in the marina proper but the levee district, which owns the marinas, has other docking available for larger vessels.

Up on the North Shore there are slips available in Madisonville and Slidell.

Google "Orleans Marina" and get the phone number. I am in Bahrain right now. Anyway call and ask for Miss Helaine. Tell her Robinson said "HI see you in March!" and recommended you call her. She is a perfect angel and a good troubleshooter for navigating through the red tape with the Levee District, Entergy, etc. The harbormaster is not the guy to talk to. He lives to complicate other people's lives, I think. SHE is the one who really runs the show and she loves to help people.
GrowleyMonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 02:53   #3

Boat: seawind II Patience

You might want to get an insurance survey while out .marc
marc2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 00:48   #4
Marine Service Provider

Boat: We have a problem... A serious addiction issue.

Paul,

There is nothing illegal about anchoring on the lake, but there is nowhere to anchor that is remotely protected. The best you can do is get close in to shore and get protected from one side.

There are a number of yards nearby with large lifts, but the only travel lift is Seabrook on the industrial canal. The other lifts exceed 25 tons though so it takes a pretty big boat to max them out.

- If animals weren't meant to be eaten then they wouldn't be made of food.
Stumble is offline   Reply With Quote