Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Today, 13:57   #1

Boat: Looking
New Sailor, First Boat, Help me find a good one?

Hi,

I'm a complete newbie, looking to try the singlehanded, liveaboard, cruising lifestyle for many reasons. Recurring costs are of course one of them, inspired by the book "Voyaging on a small income", but certainly not the only reason. I'm based in Texas USA, and will be going down to the Galveston area for a day or two to look at boats very soon, as well as taking my first ASA course on one of the nearby large lakes in my area in a couple weeks. I know I have an uphill experience battle here, so I'm expecting a lot of time in a slip as I slowly learn enough to take the boat out by myself. On the other hand, I'd like to minimize time spent in a boat yard or I will never leave.

I've been looking at boats, mainly on yachtworld, and I have a few contenders that I think might work. my general parameters seem to be:

Budget: $10-35k
Size: 25-35ft seems like the compromise between singlehanding, and liveaboarding.
Location: Ideally TX, where I can go see the boat in-person easily. East-coast at the very least is where I want to be longer-term. I have been shying away from more distant locations, as I don't really want to deal with the headache and cost of traveling, and towing a boat, and I won't be experienced enough to sail it initially.

My top options at the moment, in roughly my current preference order:

1. There's an interesting Catalina 30 nearby. It looks like the owner pulled out the engine and did an electric conversion this year using a thunderstruck 10kw kit. This sounds like a really intriguing option to me, I'd love an electric motor and a large lifepo4 battery bank! But other than that, the boat seems rather average, and looks like most of the interior has been removed, with most of it "in storage". Seems like a decent likelihood of inheriting someone else's project boat. It's on the low end of my price scale, so I can afford to upgrade and repair more things. It's nearby in TX, so I can move in as soon as I buy it (and repair anything :P).

2. There's a 35' Hinterhoeller Niagara that looks well maintained in florida. It looks like a better boat, even though it's on the bigger end in my mind. It has a slightly shorter draft, what looks like a more solid keel, and is better furnished. Already has a small solar+wind setup, and looks more "liveaboard ready". Obviously no electric motor :P However it's more expensive, and that means less $$ for upgrades and repairs. And being far away, I don't know how to work out the logistics.

3. A Tanzer 27, also in TX. It's also on the lowest end of the budget, so $$ for upgrades and repairs, but I'm wary that it will be a bit too cramped for me. It's amazing what 3 feet does even in photos. Maybe it's just the spartan interior. I'll know more when I set foot inside I'm sure. But it does stand out in price, location, and size!

All 3 boats are mid-1980's. Any thoughts on these, or other, boats are appreciated. I reserve the right to ignore any and all good advice :P
SixSails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 14:18   #2

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop
Re: New Sailor, First Boat, Help me find a good one?

Go look at the Tanzer. It's local. It may not be too small for a starter boat. One of our members, Mike OReilly, suggests that the smallest you are comfortable with is the soundest purchase. You could pulse him for his reasons.

And here's a link for you to consider before you go look, to help you learn what most to look for: https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums...1-a-78671.html

There are probably other Catalina 30's for sale in TX. Electric locks you into very specialized use patterns; imho, you'd be better off with an inboard diesel engine, for their reliability and the flexibility they lend you. They are a big 30 footer; they're a good starter boat because a known quantity, with easy re-sale if you decide you don't like it.

Yacht brokers have access to what current sale prices for boats have been.

Ann
Old Today, 14:53   #3

Boat: Looking
Re: New Sailor, First Boat, Help me find a good one?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPA Cate View Post
Go look at the Tanzer. It's local

I will!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPA Cate View Post
Electric locks you into very specialized use patterns; imho, you'd be better off with an inboard diesel engine, for their reliability and the flexibility they lend you.
I think I'm okay with those restrictions. I'm aware of some of the compromise an electric motor brings. It's more for me about the rest of the boat that has me wondering... Good to hear that they are a great starter boat in general!
SixSails is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat, sail