Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-11-2023, 12:33   #16

Boat: Finnsailer 38
Re: New sailor smell

Personally, I think the best method is to purchase a smaller boat and work your way up. But, if you do purchase a bigger one at least plan on spending a couple of years getting to learn the ropes close to home. Maine is a fantastic place to cruise, and many people spend a lifetime on her waters and never visit every little cove. Those two years of practice will teach you so much more than one of the courses. A huge part of cruising is repairing your boat in exotic places, and just learning the maintenance and repair aspects of a sailboat takes a couple of years even for experienced sailors. I've bought and sold a bunch of cruising sailboats and it takes me several years before I feel fully comfortable with her. For example, until you know your boat and her systems you will have no idea what spares to store onboard before you set off.
Old 18-11-2023, 13:20   #17
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Beneteau 432, C&C Landfall 42, Roberts Offshore 38

Tough to find these days, but my 2c would to peruse Yachtworld and look at the plethora of older models available.

Many are fixer-uppers, but others can be well maintained and worthy of a look.
Typically for many of these boats, is usually an attractive price point, and most....you'll find...have updated equipment, rebuilt engines, newish sails, etc.

As suggested above, you can narrow your search by plugging in draft of 6' or less, mast height less than 60' or so.
You can also finesse your search by plugging in center cockpit, aft cockpit, etc to narrow down the search.
Having owned two center cockpit boats, I'm off the opinion, the you really need at least 45' LOA to make this a workable interior. Off course, smaller center cockpits are available, but invariable something has to sacrificed to pull it all off.
Having finally settled on an aft cockpite boat, I would not go back to a CC boat again for a number of reasons.
Finally, no point in looking at boats that are 100's of miles away, keep your search local.

It would also help to work with a knowledgeable boat broker that can suggest boats for you, etc. This is often a tricky situation, as some brokers will be willing to lean over backwards for you, while others won't.
MicHughV is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2023, 17:08   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatpoker View Post
Having cruised and delivered powerboats for 30 years between Duluth, Antigua, Honduras and most points in between ... You are incorrect.

I probably should have been clearer.. Obviously things need to be taken into account.. but on a sailboat one takes into account wind direction, waves, current.. One may have to tack to the destination....

On a powerboat... it is easier to just adjust the heading and go... even though the journey may be a bit rough.

I am certain that a real sailor on a powerboat can make things more comfortable.. but to often inexperienced sailors just attempt to power through ...

(No insult to power boaters meant.. )
h20man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2023, 04:37   #19

Boat: Finnsailer 38

Quote:
On a powerboat... it is easier to just adjust the heading and go... even though the journey may be a bit rough.

I am certain that a real sailor on a powerboat can make things more comfortable.. but to often inexperienced sailors just attempt to power through ...
Having cruised in company with some long-range powerboaters and knowing well some others they have an advantage over sailors in that they get to go when things are flat calm, or at least very calm. They then go fast and cover lots of territory before the wind and seas pick up, even if the light wind is right on the nose. Sailors trying to make miles tend to wait for the right wind speed, direction, and sea state. Sure, some powerboaters occasionally just plow right into the wind and seas, but not the longer range ones I have observed. Most places there are more calms than perfect sailing conditions, so the powerboats end up being able to make miles while the sailors are waiting.
Old 19-11-2023, 05:24   #20
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Beneteau 432, C&C Landfall 42, Roberts Offshore 38

I did a delivery on a power boat once....never again...it was bashing headlong into big waves and rolling my brains out in the process.
Motoring in calm conditions is one thing, but when wind and wages pick up, it's quite another.
MicHughV is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2023, 05:30   #21

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilled View Post
which boat would you purchase for an around the world tour? Thanks one and all for your input. Captain C.
Being an American centric forum most folk are probably going to recommend some long keeled 1960-70 design. However, if you want the big picture then also consider Eruopean yachts. Anything from Beneteau, Bavaria, Jeanneau or for more up market the Scandinavian yachts, Malo, Najad, Hallberg-Rassy.

These will be fin keeled yachts.

If you want to see what people are using today, worth having a look at the ARC Rally, Canaries to Carib Nov 23, or the World ARC entries.

https://www.worldcruising.com/arc/ev...id=152&rtid=12
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2023, 05:32   #22
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Benford 38 Fantail Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by MicHughV View Post
I did a delivery on a power boat once....never again...it was bashing headlong into big waves and rolling my brains out in the process.
Tack.
Old 19-11-2023, 07:13   #23

Boat: 58' Sedan Bridge

Quote:
Well, I’m sure this discussion has played out a million times before, but here goes. I have never stepped foot on a sailboat. I have a feeling that will change soon.

Second question: if you had it to do all over again, which boat would you purchase for an around the world tour?
Why sail? Is it that "around the world tour" thing? If so, how likely is it that you actually try it? (Because if it's a "just thinking about it" notion," you might perhaps find some additional boats that might be suitable "enough"... )

Quote:
Originally Posted by MicHughV View Post
Motoring in calm conditions is one thing, but when wind and wages pick up, it's quite another.
Quote:
Originally Posted by boatpoker View Post
Tack.
Indeed. And/or slow the hell down.

-Chris
Old 19-11-2023, 12:30   #24

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Quote:
Well, I’m sure this discussion has played out a million times before, but here goes. I have never stepped foot on a sailboat. I have a feeling that will change soon. I have worked hard enough and now it’s time to pull the plug on gainful employment. My wife and I are browsing sailboats as many have done, I’m sure. However, when I get an idea in my head it’s like an itch that won’t subside until it’s scratched bloody. I do believe most people will say that my first boat shouldn’t be a complex sailing vessel of passage worthy size. Before you start in I must tell you, I’ve been a Mainer since I was 17. I worked my way up the hauspipe and I am currently an unlimited tonnage master with years of sea time. That being said, I wouldn’t know a sail from a bed sheet. All the boats I’ve worked on are point and go boats. I am looking for advice on vessel size and configuration. With all the uneducated research I have done I’ve come up with a center cockpit, 40 to 45 feet, aft main cabin and room for 3 adults to live comfortably for not less than 2 years. Eventually I’ll retire to the desert but I want to spend some time at sea for pleasure instead of pay. My first question of many: why are Hunter sailboats considered a poor choice? I can’t find any evidence of catastrophic failures or mysterious sinkings. Second question: if you had it to do all over again, which boat would you purchase for an around the world tour? Thanks one and all for your input.

Captain C.
Actually, you might know a sail from a bed sheet, mate. Ever been on a fishing boat with a riding sail?

What you don't mention is what ages you and your wife are, and that may play into the plans as well.

However, what I would suggest would be a two step program. Buy a used Catalina in decent condition, and start playing around in your coastal waters on it. Maybe hire a skipper for a day or a half day to show you how "stuff" works on boats. Maybe send your wife to sailing school to learn the basic skills, without you, so she can learn without that pressure, and bring something worthwhile to the whole effort. She should learn about who is the stand on vessel and how she can tell that, a little pilotage, and helming. With that in back of her, she is going to be way better crew, and maybe you learn to value her in that unique way. If you then have plans to go further afield, it will work better.

You know what the sea can throw at you, but perhaps she doesn't, so for her, developing skills in a planned out progression to bring her up to a skilled novice level should happen before any chartering, should you decide to do that.

Honestly, if she goes for it, chartering has little to do with running your own boat in the way you like. You may keep the Cat 30, it's a big boat for two people for coastal hops and the ilk. Or, you may start considering stronger, more suitable boats for a circumnavigation.

I think if you get this far, then the two of you will find what is the right boat for you, and it could turn out to be a Nordhavn, or one of the Scandanavian sail boats, or even a catamaran. I'm a monohuller, don't like the twitchy motion cats get on a beam reach. They do behave differently, though, and if you consider one, you might want to try them on a 20-25 knot day. (Though light air capability is very important for a circumnavigation, if that's what you have in mind.)

Fwiw, sailboating is like trying to put a quart into a pint pot. You will find that access to stuff you want to work on is limited. So much so that it is referred to around CF as "boat yoga". Part of the Cat 30 recommendation is so you can see how you like maintaining a sailboat, with it's little engine, good for getting in and out of harbors and perhaps not too much else.

You will be well served by reading a serious book on sailing yacht design, to learn some of what to look for. Don't bother with magazine reviews of new boats. The writers always "love" all of them.

Ann, cruising full time since March of '89.
Old 04-12-2023, 22:33   #25

Boat: Island Packet 29

You have to decide what boat you like. They're all different. People kept telling me to get a Catalina. "They're the best bang for the buck, etc, etc...". I chartered one and totally hated it. Chartered a Cape Dory. Loved it. Im a full keel guy to the bone. Ill quit sailing before I buy a Catalina. To each their own.
Rockinar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2023, 07:39   #26

Boat: Columbia 9.6, Hunter Cherubini 37, Jeanneau 57

As far as hunter is concerned, they are not always bad boats. The old Cherubini boats were great. I personally am not a fan of any boat without a backstay though, and the last several years they pushed that hard. Hunters were built to a price point, and you could feel it. The floors flexed a little, the hull flexed a little... The hunter 54, which was a great sailing boat, flexed enough that when under way, some sliding door cabinets would seize up. I heard rumor of one being reinforced and fixing all that though. Hunter was very good at "enough", rather than "sturdy."

As far as your selection is concerned, see what feels right by asking around at a local yacht club, people are usually willing to take people out on day sails for a little extra crew help, particularly if you offer to bring food.
Greatest Lakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2023, 10:18   #27

Boat: SAnta Cruz 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranger58sb View Post

Indeed. And/or slow the hell down.

-Chris
Slowing down makes the rolling worse.
donradcliffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2023, 10:42   #28

Boat: 58' Sedan Bridge

Quote:
Originally Posted by donradcliffe View Post
Slowing down makes the rolling worse.

Sometimes, yep. But Mic said "headlong into big waves..." and that's not usually so much about rolling... and slowing down usually helps in that situation.

Not always, though, and stuffing the pulpit isn't great... so powerboaters can tack, too.

-Chris
Old 06-12-2023, 11:01   #29

Boat: Cascade 42

You may have experience with at sea and in larger boats, but does your wife?

FWIW: My wife didn't have any sailing experince and we bought a 42 ft sailboat, I had sailed 27-30 ft boats before and while it IS bigger I am learning how to handle it in a usual manner. She however is NOT comfortable with the larger boat, but can take a 21 ft boat out without an issue. We are now considering getting a C30 a stepping stone for her mental sailing game.

Ann's advice is again on point.
pdx_sailing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2024, 01:38   #30

I appreciate all the thoughtful replies. To answer a couple of the questions: We are mid 50s but in great shape. (Well almost great shape).
Wife grew up in the Puget Sound area and has some experience on boats. Nothing outside.
I have fixated on the Island Packet 40. It's not CC but its shallow draft and displacement are what I am looking for.
There is also an Island Packet 445 CC available from a private seller. It's way over my budget but I am considering it. Beautiful boat.
Thanks for all the input. There were a few suggestions that I didn't think of.
Gilled is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sail