Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-11-2023, 17:22   #1

New sailor smell

Well, I’m sure this discussion has played out a million times before, but here goes. I have never stepped foot on a sailboat. I have a feeling that will change soon. I have worked hard enough and now it’s time to pull the plug on gainful employment. My wife and I are browsing sailboats as many have done, I’m sure. However, when I get an idea in my head it’s like an itch that won’t subside until it’s scratched bloody. I do believe most people will say that my first boat shouldn’t be a complex sailing vessel of passage worthy size. Before you start in I must tell you, I’ve been a Mainer since I was 17. I worked my way up the hauspipe and I am currently an unlimited tonnage master with years of sea time. That being said, I wouldn’t know a sail from a bed sheet. All the boats I’ve worked on are point and go boats. I am looking for advice on vessel size and configuration. With all the uneducated research I have done I’ve come up with a center cockpit, 40 to 45 feet, aft main cabin and room for 3 adults to live comfortably for not less than 2 years. Eventually I’ll retire to the desert but I want to spend some time at sea for pleasure instead of pay. My first question of many: why are Hunter sailboats considered a poor choice? I can’t find any evidence of catastrophic failures or mysterious sinkings. Second question: if you had it to do all over again, which boat would you purchase for an around the world tour? Thanks one and all for your input.

Captain C.
Gilled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2023, 17:50   #2

Boat: Volkscruiser
Re: New sailor smell

Gilled I think one of your biggest challengers will be getting used to all the mucking around that comes from a blow boat. I come from a trawler background and was used to steaming at 7.5 knots in the right direction when on the water. But sailing seems to be a lot of faffing around to end up slowly at the same destination. All the while telling yourself that this is the cheapest way to do it (LOL).
As for Hunters, I have surveyed plenty that have crossed the pacific and end up here in Australia. There was one forum member Dale that circumnavigated in a Hunter and had no issues. I really don't understand the negativity of Hunter yachts. I would have thought with Americas fondness of suing that every Hunter yacht would be fit for purpose before leaving the factory.
Cheers
Fore and Aft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2023, 23:52   #3

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

So, given your background, my question is, why a sailboat? Fore and Aft summed it up pretty well.

Given what you described my thought went straight to a Kelly Peterson 44 but those aren't young boats.

I would say that while you are looking at boats, buy two Lasers, for you and your wife to learn on and see if you like it. If you find you both really fall for the feel of shaping big areas of cloth into wings and feel the boat silently take off, then you'll know you are on the right track, and your opinions of which sailboats you prefer may change too.
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2023, 00:21   #4

That must be a unique experience*of your extensive maritime adventure going through transitioning to a sailboat. You know normally hunters are criticized as they build a negative impact on them but few have successful voyages.*
Old 18-11-2023, 01:52   #5

Boat: Cruising Catamaran

My suggestion would be for you and partner to charter a 40ft yacht in the Med or BVI for a week. Then charter a 40ft catamaran for a week and see what you and your partner think after that.
Tin Tin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2023, 04:47   #6

Boat: Finnsailer 38

Keep in mind that the limiting factor for enjoyment of the East Coast of North America is a mast height that can easily clear the many 65-foot fixed bridges on the ICW from Norfolk to Miami. You don't want to write off half the coast by getting a boat that is too high, and much easier if you stick to 60 feet or under. Similarly, I think a draft of about 6 feet is max. for enjoyable cruising in New England, the Chesapeake, the ICW, Florida, and the Bahamas and 5.5 feet is much better. The joys of shallow draft and the ability to take the ground safely are way underrated. Catamarans are justly very popular right now, and they are worth checking out. The accommodations on a 40-foot cat are more like a 60-foot mono, plus you get shallower draft and upright sailing.
Old 18-11-2023, 06:35   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilled View Post
Well, I’m sure this discussion has played out a million times before, but here goes. I have never stepped foot on a sailboat. I have a feeling that will change soon. I have worked hard enough and now it’s time to pull the plug on gainful employment. My wife and I are browsing sailboats as many have done, I’m sure. However, when I get an idea in my head it’s like an itch that won’t subside until it’s scratched bloody. I do believe most people will say that my first boat shouldn’t be a complex sailing vessel of passage worthy size. Before you start in I must tell you, I’ve been a Mainer since I was 17. I worked my way up the hauspipe and I am currently an unlimited tonnage master with years of sea time. That being said, I wouldn’t know a sail from a bed sheet. All the boats I’ve worked on are point and go boats. I am looking for advice on vessel size and configuration. With all the uneducated research I have done I’ve come up with a center cockpit, 40 to 45 feet, aft main cabin and room for 3 adults to live comfortably for not less than 2 years. Eventually I’ll retire to the desert but I want to spend some time at sea for pleasure instead of pay. My first question of many: why are Hunter sailboats considered a poor choice? I can’t find any evidence of catastrophic failures or mysterious sinkings. Second question: if you had it to do all over again, which boat would you purchase for an around the world tour? Thanks one and all for your input.

Captain C.

I would strongly suggest an ASA or RYI course to know how to sail.. and give you a taste of what type of boats there are..

Charter some boats.... try them out.. see what you like and what type of boat you want to float...

Then start looking....

(with a good surveyor of course ready to inform you)
h20man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2023, 07:37   #8

Start with the basics, sign up for your local ASA sailing classes for beginners, if you are still having fun charter some local boats or buy a dinghy sailor and practice/have fun. Then if it’s still something you are into, go to the BVI’s and do the Bareboat ASA class maybe 114 too, spend a week with an instructor. (RYA is probably a better option if they are local to you, to me they take it to a higher level than ASA).

Then go bareboat charter 5-6 different boats, attend some boat shows along the way. All of the sudden you’ll see things completely differently. Then try to gain experience as crew on some offshore stuff, then you’ll really start to understand if the lifestyle is for you.

There’s no need to rush, enjoy the process & be safe!
Kinkircating is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2023, 08:17   #9
dlj

Boat: Belliure 41

Rather than take a course first, I'd recommend you and your wife sign up for an offshore passage with one of the many good outfits there are around to do so. That will do two things notably well. It will let you and your wife know if it's for you, and it will give you direct instruction on off shore passage making on a sailboat.

dj
dlj is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2023, 08:46   #10

Boat: 35 Ft. cutter, custom

Quote:
Well, I am currently an unlimited tonnage master

I’ve come up with a center cockpit, 40 to 45 feet, aft main cabin and room for 3 adults to live comfortably

if you had it to do all over again, which boat would you purchase for an around the world tour?

Captain C.
I'll attempt to interject some tongue-in-cheek humor, (each thread should have a little of it).
Lets see, a center cockpit of ~40>45Ft, with unlimited tonnage.
That's easy, a Westsail 42, a real sailing cargo vessel.
Since I'm a solo sailor my "around the world" boat would not be something that you would want, I'd be in an Alajuela 38.
Last sentence not tongue-in-cheek.
Old 18-11-2023, 08:56   #11
CLOD

Boat: none

Quote:
. My first question of many: why are Hunter sailboats considered a poor choice?
I understand your journey. I went from never sailing to owning a 39' boat with only some lessons and 3 months of weekend sailing on a 33' boats.

At time during my research about cruising and boats I was attracted to Hunters for the space and value. THEN I started reading Cruiser's Forum and the posters told me how I would die and that the boats were crap. So I got a Cal-39 instead and knew right away it was a mistake. So after 2 years with the Cal I moved to a 2001 Hunter 410, which I have now had 12 years with the last 7 plus full time cruising. Have not had 1 single problem with the Hunter built parts of the boat!

Don't focus so much on boat brand, but boat model. A 2005 Hunter 40-49 is nothing like a 1980 Hunter 33 except for the brand name.
Old 18-11-2023, 09:01   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlj View Post
Rather than take a course first, I'd recommend you and your wife sign up for an offshore passage with one of the many good outfits there are around to do so. That will do two things notably well. It will let you and your wife know if it's for you, and it will give you direct instruction on off shore passage making on a sailboat.

dj

The nice thing about a sailing course BEFORE going out raw on an offshore passage, is that you have an idea of what is going on....

The knowledge of what is going on.. helps demystify and to take the fear out of the unknown. Definitely good for the wife/partner...

Sailing is working with the elements... Powerboating is just getting from A->B without the need of thinking too much about the elements.

I can not strongly recommend enough the sailing courses.

Tiny price to pay compared to a boat.. and gives so much more confidence to all the parties involved..
h20man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2023, 09:07   #13

First, I second the suggestion that you take a sailing course or two, find someone to take you sailing, or charter with a skipper. Despite your unlimited ticket, you'll need some sail experience before bareboat chartering. Then do a couple of charters on different boats.

True story. When we were in Annapolis at Petrini's in 1996, the first winter of our circumnav, we made friends with a couple on a 40+ Hunter a couple of slips over (we met everybody at biweekly watering parties, where we shared our hoses to reach the nearest hose bib on shore).

Turns out they both worked, so they had a cleaning lady come in every other week. She was washing a fixed port in the hull and pushed the glass right out into the drink. Hunter replaced the glass, no charge.
Old 18-11-2023, 11:54   #14
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Benford 38 Fantail Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by h20man View Post
Sailing is working with the elements... Powerboating is just getting from A->B without the need of thinking too much about the elements.
Having cruised and delivered powerboats for 30 years between Duluth, Antigua, Honduras and most points in between ... You are incorrect.
Old 18-11-2023, 11:58   #15
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Benford 38 Fantail Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fintry View Post
She was washing a fixed port in the hull and pushed the glass right out into the drink. Hunter replaced the glass, no charge.
With around 5,000 surveys, I can give you a horror story of just about every production boat I can name.

Tags
sail