Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-08-2018, 12:33   #1

Boat: 1979 Mirage 26
pirate New to me Mirage 26

Hello everyone

I am not sure if I did the right thing but I just went out and bought a Mirage 26 for 3K, it come with both brand new main and Jib. Have a single cylinder diesel engine. So far as I can see look like the keel bolts have been replace not to long ago (still shinny with no rust), engine run on first start with about 10-15 sec of cranking time, no smoke

My plan is learn to sail in her up and down the columbia river for a few season before take her out to the ocean to go up to San Juan island.

Any suggestion of what maybe the problem I should start looking for to get her into ship shape.

Planning on take her out in the weekend motoring around and then apply some elbow grease to her.

Thanks for any advice and tip to the newbie boat owner
BB Bosun Mate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2018, 02:59   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Re: New to me Mirage 26

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, BB.

You done good!
Mirage 26/27 - Used Sailboat Market in Canada

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2018, 07:45   #3

Boat: 1979 Mirage 26

Status update: 8/27/18

So far I find out the ignition switch only work part of the time, it will crank the engine over once out of every 10 try or so, it happen during the docking of the boat, put the boat in reverse and kill the engine, could not restart. That get me sweating for a bit

Replace it with the generic automotive ignition switch for $10 and some change.

Discover the fuel tank leaking, not a lot but enough to make 1 drop every 30 sec.

Drain and move the fuel tank, replace the fitting gasket that leak (old gasket make out of rubber ) Reinstalled the tank and check for leak. The repair is holding no more leak.

I have been trying to find the shore power connection on the boat which it have none. Will need to get an adapter for the shore power cable so I can have power to recharge the battery, pressure wash the boat, and general cleaning the inside. .

Also find out the previous owner let me have a gennaker sail and spinnaker sail both still in very good shape I am going to try the gennaker out some day, I think the spinnaker pole is missing.

For the next urgent project: (My bucket list of thing to do)

1. To locate the engine oil leak (back part of the engine cover with oil film.
2. Change engine oil and filter. It's a Yanmar SB8 single cylinder, anyone with the service manual for that engine can share I would greatly appreciate, try to get one online and run into a few sites with malware on them.
3. Clean up the electrical system: (anyone with a wiring diagram to share?)
a. Rewire the alternator charging system.
b. Locate and check the navigation lighting (I have not been able to locate them) may have to go up the mast and see if they are up there.
c. Wire and install a new automatic bilges pump.
d. Clean and repair the deck drain of cockpit so it drain from both side.
e. Install a water strainer for engine water pump intake (it use raw water cooling system)
f. Need to install engine temperature gauge, the old one glass fog up so bad and I can not read the gauge, I am not sure if it's even work at all.
g. Wire and install engine oil pressure warning light and alarm.

So far these are the project that I can come up with to work on. I will add more and report back of how is it going, but for today I going to go and see if I can take her out for a short sail. (Soloing)
My sailing expertise come down to 3 hours of solo sailing in a Force 5 sail boat

PS: I would add picture and video if I figure out how to do so, I am not a computer tech savvy kind of guy,
BB Bosun Mate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2018, 12:45   #4

I just picked up one myself and would like to do a rehab of the interior. We should exchange some ideas as we progress.

Kris
kbetkowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2018, 15:27   #5

Boat: Mirage 35

FYI there is a Mirage owners’ group on Yahoo at:
https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/...E1MzUxMzE3OTE-
Old 25-09-2018, 16:33   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by BB Bosun Mate View Post
Hello everyone

I am not sure if I did the right thing but I just went out and bought a Mirage 26 for 3K, it come with both brand new main and Jib. Have a single cylinder diesel engine. So far as I can see look like the keel bolts have been replace not to long ago (still shinny with no rust), engine run on first start with about 10-15 sec of cranking time, no smoke

My plan is learn to sail in her up and down the columbia river for a few season before take her out to the ocean to go up to San Juan island.

Any suggestion of what maybe the problem I should start looking for to get her into ship shape.

Planning on take her out in the weekend motoring around and then apply some elbow grease to her.

Thanks for any advice and tip to the newbie boat owner
Welcome to the forum,

I purchased a 1980 Mirage 27 hull 323 about 5 years ago. Lots of interesting things to do, boat mostly just hard scrubbing not much money in. I was lucky. I have manuals for ysb8. I will figure out how to send them to you. There is a manufacturer's forum at the top of this forum, Mirage is represented and there are some Mirage owners with lots of info.