Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-06-2016, 15:05   #16

Re: New to Sailing, General Question

Learn basic safety issue and go sail,
Learning from experience then you may take some courses if you want to fill.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
cpt_757 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2016, 00:27   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronroesner View Post
The instructors I have spoken with make it seem like there are crucial sailing mysteries that will only be unlocked by taking all of the ASA courses, and that no person should go in the water without them.
I'm an ASA 201-205 instructor. For each level there's a 'checklist' of things the student should be able to do in order to achieve the certification. Taking a course is not necessary if you can check those boxes without formal instruction. However, if you plan to charter anywhere in the world, you will probably need to have some certification. Having taken to ASA 101 course, I'd suggest you have the basics, so just get out there and SAIL AS MUCH AS POSSIBLE!!
Getweh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2016, 13:16   #18
Marine Service Provider

All good advice - time on the water is what you need to build your skills and gain confidence. Lessons might help accelerate the learning process - but time on the water is what will make you a sailor. If you do decide to check out school options - take a look at our site and let me know if I can answer any questions for you. Enjoy the adventure!
LTDsailing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2016, 13:38   #19

As another self taught sailor, I agree with most of what has been said, especially getting to crew on other boats, but I have a little different view point on size. I cruised a 26 foot boat for several years and many thousands of deep water miles without ever taking a lesson. I read everything I could before I left. A few years later I bought a 37 foot boat and actually found it easier to sail than the smaller boat because the decks were so much wider, that going forward at sea was easier and safer. Handling ground tackle was harder, maintaining the larger boat was harder and of course costs went way up, but I felt that the actual sailing was easier. It is just my personal experience, but something to think about. _____Grant.
gjordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2016, 20:03   #20

Boat: Island Packet 40

My experience is that one learns more thoroughly when you can do the doing and reading concurrently. I have found the courses given by folks who have been there and done it are good for steering you in the right direction.

Do the courses, gain experience on the water and fill in the gaps in your knowledge through reading and applying.
RaymondR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2016, 20:30   #21

Boat: 1980 Morgan 415

Sailing off a lee shore is something you want to learn about in small boat.

A friend of mine, that started sailing in a Columbia 29 he bought 3 years ago, just bought a sweet little 10' sloop. Since buying it he spends every spare minute he gets trying to master it.

You'll smile a whole lot brighter learning to tack and gybe a teeny boat than checking boxes in a classroom.
Old 02-07-2016, 21:58   #22

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cap Erict3 View Post
Sailing off a lee shore is something you want to learn about in small boat.

A friend of mine, that started sailing in a Columbia 29 he bought 3 years ago, just bought a sweet little 10' sloop. Since buying it he spends every spare minute he gets trying to master it.

You'll smile a whole lot brighter learning to tack and gybe a teeny boat than checking boxes in a classroom.
Hey that's right, is that padave? Tell him to let us know how his C29 is coming along!
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2016, 22:37   #23

Boat: 1980 Morgan 415

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don C L View Post
Hey that's right, is that padave? Tell him to let us know how his C29 is coming along!

I spoke with Dave's sailing mentor a while back. I think the refit got to be to expensive and he took a different direction.

The fella with the sailing dink clawed his way out of being homeless with this C29 then bought a Seafarer.

My youngest son has the C29 now. He is talking of a moonlight sail with his girl friend tonight. He is almost 22 and...I guess being 21 says it all.
Old 03-07-2016, 05:53   #24

Boat: Nauticat 32

You sound like a person who is eager to learn new skills, is familiar with all kind of mechanical machines, who does not believe that he already knows everything, and is not likely to jump too much ahead into adventures that are risky or too challenging for your current skills. If this is the case, all the proposed paths forward will work fine for you. Just pick the path that feels best.
Juho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2016, 18:46   #25

My recommendation is to join crew on larger boats and get more experience. It will help make friends and also build confidence in your skills before you buy a boat. Plus it is WAY cheaper than owning a boat. Here in San Diego, slip fees are BRUTAL like over $600 for a larger 40' boat.

What I did was to take the Offshore US sailing courses in BVI and then I've been helping out on larger boats as crew to build on my training. So far, I've been picking up things that I missed in training and learning shortcuts and tips that make sailing more comfortable from skippers on larger boats. Its great fun! In fact, I am going out again tomorrow.
cruisernewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2016, 19:46   #26

Boat: Shannon Pilothouse 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tingum View Post
Go for it! We regularly see people who are new to sailing on boats under 30 feet pass through and they are just fine learning as they go. We also see folks on million dollar, fully equipped 40 footers who should have never left the dock. You sound fine with your background. Just use common sense
Add one vote to this approach. I didn't know how much I didn't know until I bought a boat. With just the slightest bit of common sense or good fortune you will carry it through and be an expert in no time!
OrangeCrush is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sail, sailing