Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-06-2018, 14:56   #1

Boat: Columbia 9.6
New to the forum

hey everyone. Somewhat new to sailing larger boats and just became the owner of a Columbia 9.6. Shes pretty clean, all the rigging is good to go, sails are in good shape, and no soft spots on the deck whatsoever. She needs a haulout though for new paint and prop shaft servicing. The only issue I have is a seized volvo MD...whatever...the 10 hp jobs. It hasn't been seized for that long, maybe two months and I am going to spend some time this week dumping mystery oil and diesel into the heads to see if i can free up the cylinders. Water apparently backed up into the exhaust during a super low tide. Anyways, in the event I cannot get this thing turned over, I have an outboard I can slap on it to at least get it from the sellers marina to mine. Its 120hp though. Has anyone ever seen this? Would the transom even support something like this?
chrismct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2018, 02:45   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Re: New to the forum

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Chris.

The Columbia 9.6 has an IOR type transom, with a small reverse shear, triangular shape.
Several small diesels were supplied with the 9.6, including the 10-hp. Volvo MD6B and the MD7. Most owners complain that these powerplants are too small to move the boat at desired speeds, especially into head seas.

Justin Thompson has some original Columbia engineering drawings for the 9.6 and he also has owners manuals.
See ➥ Columbia P9.6 (Payne 9.6) Specifications

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2018, 11:31   #3

You might check the weight on that outboard vs. the weight of the Volvo engine that your Columbia 9.6 came with. A 120hp outboard can weigh in at 450+ lbs. It depends on which model Volvo they put in it or that someone else might have put in there. If it is the MD7A that many of them came with, you might be overloading that transom by 100 lbs plus. Now, when you turn that rocket ship on the stresses might be a risky business. Columbia's are tanks, but they are old tanks, lol. At the end of the day, though, you have a boat that was built to have a bal./disp. ratio of 44.11%. You have an absolute gem there if she is in reasonably good enough shape.
Timoqueg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 07:45   #4

UPDATE.........I got the Volvo running but she smokes. Not too bad and its white smoke so she is burning fuel more than oil which is a plus in my book. I ripped the cylinder head off, bumped the flywheel and got the cylinders moving. The cylinder wall on #2 cylinder is pitted so that is probably where my smoke issue is coming from. My only concern is a light sheen on the water from the exhaust. I know a little is okay so I guess only time will tell if there is a serious issue.

SO....for $1500 I got a Columbia 9.6, 2 year old standing rigging, running inboard, hull is strong no soft spots, topside has one soft spot above the forward berthing, could use new running rigging and hardware but its functional, down below is pretty intact, head works, needs re-plumbed but not a neccessity. Pretty good deal. Having a shake down cruise this Sunday to bring her home from Washington NC. 13 hours at 5 knots.
Old 12-06-2018, 08:35   #5

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

Welcome aboard Chris ! Sounds like you are in for lots of fun, especially if you like engine work! I always liked those Columbias. If you haven't moved it yet, wait to borrow a dinghy to tow/push your boat around I'd say. I have a good friend with a Cheoy Lee 30 with an MD7A and though it is in good shape NOW we went through quite a bit (of time and money) getting it back that way. I'd say to think about saving your pennies for a Beta, that's a fairly common replacement engine. If you can replace it yourself that's a real money saver too. But if you are REALLY having fun with the MD6B, then go for it!
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 09:05   #6

I think the Volvo has seen its hey day but the parts are just way to hard to come by and expensive. $350 for a starter is not what I consider a bargain. I am looking at getting a kicker just to get in and out of the marine after I get her here. Its only a 13 hour sail and I believe the motor has at least that much in her. I am looking at repowering with an inboard in the near future. I have been looking at Yanmar since those parts are cheap and available everywhere. Another option I have been looking at is a Volkswagon diesel marinized. More horsepower with transmission than a Yanmar and cost the same. NAPA has a beta and its round $8000......Also looking at EV kits for boats. Only problem with those is range on a doldrum day.
Old 12-06-2018, 09:11   #7
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrismct View Post
I think the Volvo has seen its hey day but the parts are just way to hard to come by and expensive. $350 for a starter is not what I consider a bargain. I am looking at getting a kicker just to get in and out of the marine after I get her here. Its only a 13 hour sail and I believe the motor has at least that much in her. I am looking at repowering with an inboard in the near future. I have been looking at Yanmar since those parts are cheap and available everywhere. Another option I have been looking at is a Volkswagon diesel marinized. More horsepower with transmission than a Yanmar and cost the same. NAPA has a beta and its round $8000......Also looking at EV kits for boats. Only problem with those is range on a doldrum day.
Beta Marine engines are highly recommended by many who have made a switch (repower).
https://www.betamarinenc.com
Steadman Uhlich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 13:15   #8

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

I am fairly certain it was a C 9.6 that the author and archaeologist Brian Fagan had in Santa Barbara, maybe he still does, and he wrote one of the best, or THE best, cruising guide to the California coast and islands.
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 14:07   #9

I will be sure to check it out
Old 19-06-2018, 15:45   #10

So to catch everyone up on my shakedown cruise bringing my boat from Washington NC to Cherry Point NC about 75 nm. First issue was there was about 3 mph wind when there was any so we averaged about 7 knots with the motor running and sails up. When we turned to go through Goose Creek and the ICW we sailed directly into the wind with no real room to tack due to the channel width. Once we approached the exit of the ICW into Bay River we got a strong southwesterly wind. The gods decided they would not let us pass and lost all forward propulsion before I could even get the sail up.
The wind and current pushed us out of the channel, keel was hitting the bottom between wave sets. I played with the transmission, put her at max rpm and was able to get into the channel, dropped anchor and the motor gave out. I would have put up a sail and tried to get some forward speed but that would have pushed us back into the shallows. Needless to say, the Volvo MD6B is way underpowered when there are multiple parameters beating you up.

I played it safe and radioed the coast guard which was only about 3 nm from us, they towed us to a shrimpery called R.E. Mayo in Hobucken NC and stayed the night at their dock. The motor still runs fine but the transmission is done for, I can hear metal and just banging around when in gear. I purchased the Boat US platinum before this little trip and was towed the rest of way for free. Talk about an adventure.
Old 19-06-2018, 15:47   #11

Good news is literally everything works and is functional on the boat except the motor/transmission. I am leaning more towards the transmission. Still cannot beat $1500
Old 19-06-2018, 22:01   #12

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

If you like to tinker with *stuff*..... Mr Volvo bought those gears from somebody, and they may still be available.... Save you much $$ over a new engine and tranny.

Do not put that giant OB motor on that boat, it would be asking for a whole heap of trouble.

Ann

Tags
rum