Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-10-2021, 05:24   #1

Boat: Tripp 41
New York to Norfolk Chesapeake Bay

Hi,

I am making a return trip to the Chesapeake Bay from Long Island sound and looking for recommendations and advice as the NJ coast is fantastic at making me uncomfortable.

The boat is 41ft and has a 7’10/75 ft water/air draft so I understand my options are pretty limited. Motor is pretty weak. However, we only really need 5knts to really get moving, and with around 15+knots off wind, we can do 9-10kts with relatively low effort.

Current plan is to sail from Jersey city (person will be flying in) to AC and from AC to cape May and then up the Delaware and through the C&D down the Chesapeake.

Most of my sailing has been done on the Chesapeake, and now a little bit on LIS, so I am used to having lots of places to duck into should the need arise. On the way up a forecast 10-15 turned into 25+ with 35 gusts and some pretty serious waves along NJ (busted speed sensor pounding in the waves). I’d prefer not to have that happen again, but my weather skills are just not there beyond a very basic level.

What sort of weather window am I looking for? Realistically I only “need” a 12 hour window for safe harbor between hops, but I have no need to push it as we have about a 2 week time slot. Any general recommendations or advice will greatly be appreciated!
Notyetsinking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2021, 06:18   #2

Boat: Sabre 34-1 (sold) and Saga 43
Re: New York to Norfolk Chesapeake Bay

We did the coast twice this year. Once in June as we left Annapolis heading north. And then again in late September on our return. It was a great trip, including two weeks in Canada!

With your draft (we are similar at 43'/7'/64') you only have two choices. Cape May and Atlantic City.

We started our trip south just inside Sandy Hook beside the Coast Guard station. Actually, our trip to Sandy Hook was pretty nasty with 30 knots out of the southeast, so we took a 12 mile detour on the inside of Staten Island, made the trip much better. Something to keep in mind.

As you leave Sandy Hook, there is a channel called the False Hook. We took that on the way north, scared the crap out of me. It is not as easy as it looks! Go the extra 2 mi outside of it.

Atlantic City is 12 hours. A long day. Recommend you leave Sandy Hook as early in the morning as you dare, it is no problem in the dark. Atlantic City is very well marked, but watch out for the extended shallows on the north side on your way in. The chart is clear. Anchoring in Atlantic City is clean and easy, on the left before the bridge. You go almost to the bridge and turn around to come back to a nice basin area. Nothing to write home about, but very good anchorage.

Cape May is a bit of a challenge if you want to anchor. We anchored just off the Coast Guard station on the left, and it should be okay especially this time of year. We had a dog, making It important for us to get to shore. We only did Cape May on the way north. Note there is a very deep channel very close to the Cape that can cut 5 miles off the trip around to the Delaware Bay. You would be able to clearly see the fisherman and their fishing poles.

For our trip south, we were expecting strong winds from the northwest the next morning, so we went on across the Delaware and anchored behind the break water at Cape Henlopen. It was a good choice.

We use Sailflow for weather forecasting and find it useful. The anchorages that we used are also well marked and discussed on Active Captain.

I hope this helps.
sailingharry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2021, 06:20   #3

Oh, I should note that while Atlantic City is truly an all-weather port, I would be careful at night. There is at least one uncharted can on the north side inside the breakwater. It would probably show on radar, but would be an unpleasant thing to find by listening for the bang!
Old 28-10-2021, 06:31   #4

I just realized that while you talked about the Jersey Shore, and that was your question, you're talking also about going to Norfolk. I believe that between Cape Henlopen and the Virginia Capes is nothing but nasty sand. I don't think with your draft I would try any ports on the Maryland shore.

You might want to seriously consider the significantly longer trip up to the canal and down the Chesapeake.
Old 28-10-2021, 06:40   #5

Boat: Colegate 26

Similar to sailingharry, my wife and I did that area twice this year. We went through the canal, down the Delaware Bay, and around into Staten Island on the way north. Our southbound passage was from the Cape Cod Canal straight down to Norfolk, outside the whole way. We made no extra stops either direction.

Of all of that the only un-fun part was exiting the Delaware Bay, as we timed it poorly and were in some serious waves for about half an hour. We skipped it on the way south and went straight to Norfolk on the outside.

Southbound I think you want to have a northwest wind. That way there's very little fetch and the waves should be smaller, but you'll still have it on your beam for maximum performance. There's some amount of southbound current over there which should make the whole experience better.

I estimate our average passage speed at 6kts. From Jersey City to the mouth of the C&D Canal is only 31 hours. That should be an easy two day trip. The tricky part is timing the C&D Canal so you're going with the current. You'll want to plan somewhere to stage at the east end.

I don't think there's anything more special about the New Jersey coast than any other part of the coastline. I think bad conditions can happen anywhere. Don't let one bad experience ruin your ability to enjoy offshore sailing. Find a 3 day weather window (for good measure) and pack extra Oreos.
LoudMusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2021, 07:14   #6

Boat: 1987 Cape Dory MKII 30 Hull #3,

[QUOTE=Notyetsinking;3509958]Hi,

I am making a return trip to the Chesapeake Bay from Long Island sound and looking for recommendations and advice as the NJ coast is fantastic at making me uncomfortable.

....... Motor is pretty weak. However, we only really need 5knts to really get moving, and with around 15+knots off wind, we can do 9-10kts with relatively low effort.

Current plan is to sail from Jersey city (person will be flying in) to AC and from AC to cape May and then up the Delaware and through the C&D down the Chesapeake.

....... I’d prefer not to have that happen again, but my weather skills are just not there beyond a very basic level.

.....What sort of weather window am I looking for? R
===============================
Where in New Jersey is the starting point?
My preference will be Sandy Hook as staging point.
How many on the boat and skill level?

Few weeks ago a sailboat going south was lost "they tried to cut the corner heading into Barnegat Inlet with predictable results"

If your skills on weather management are poor, is a $ 300 dollars cost for a weather routing service (I use Jennifer Clark), Cheap insurance on the big picture and less expensive than the cost of a boat \.

Personally if have crew prefer to sail the length of that coast (about 120 miles from Sandy Hook to Cape May) without messing with negotiating those inlets,if the weather is good why? to stop,if the weather is bad may be treacherous.
davil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2021, 10:55   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingharry View Post
I just realized that while you talked about the Jersey Shore, and that was your question, you're talking also about going to Norfolk. I believe that between Cape Henlopen and the Virginia Capes is nothing but nasty sand. I don't think with your draft I would try any ports on the Maryland shore.

You might want to seriously consider the significantly longer trip up to the canal and down the Chesapeake.
Yep this is the plan. It’s the last trip of the year before putting the boat away, so I’m looking to take advantage. The Chesapeake is where I fell in love with sailing, and I am really looking forward to getting back.
You mentioned in an earlier post you had a dog with you, I just went through hell trying to get my dog sorted as I didn’t think he could handle the long NJ leg. How did your dog do?
Old 28-10-2021, 13:54   #8

[QUOTE=davil;3510012]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Notyetsinking View Post
Hi,

....... Motor is pretty weak. However, we only really need 5knts to really get moving, and with around 15+knots off wind, we can do 9-10kts with relatively low effort.

....... I’d prefer not to have that happen again, but my weather skills are just not there beyond a very basic level.

.....What sort of weather window am I looking for? R
===============================
Where in New Jersey is the starting point?
My preference will be Sandy Hook as staging point.
How many on the boat and skill level?

Few weeks ago a sailboat going south was lost "they tried to cut the corner heading into Barnegat Inlet with predictable results"

If your skills on weather management are poor, is a $ 300 dollars cost for a weather routing service (I use Jennifer Clark), Cheap insurance on the big picture and less expensive than the cost of a boat \.

Personally if have crew prefer to sail the length of that coast (about 120 miles from Sandy Hook to Cape May) without messing with negotiating those inlets,if the weather is good why? to stop,if the weather is bad may be treacherous.
Number on board is variable. I am picking up a couple friends in cape may or AC but they are relative newbies to sailing. I have a lot of sailing experience but my skills are more in the racing realm than passage making. The other person, who is on for the duration, is working towards a captains license and just completed a trip from Hawaii to Mexico.

As to your question on a weather router, the truth is I don’t know enough about the service to understand the value add vs general forecasting. For a race team I get it, but I have seen it recommended enough that I will look into it.

As to the anecdotal sailboat you referenced, I do not understand the point.
Old 28-10-2021, 14:28   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by davil View Post
Few weeks ago a sailboat going south was lost "they tried to cut the corner heading into Barnegat Inlet with predictable results".

That's an interesting story. When we were further north, we spoke with a Sabre 426, draws 6+, that home ports in Barnegat. We also called TowBoatUS/Barnegat. Both gave the same story, which is:

You can get 7'+ into Barnegat. The trick is to NOT go straight out the "channel" but to come in from the north, close to the shoreline, and stay VERY close to the tip of the green-side jetty. When leaving, go the same way -- head NORTH until you are well outside the jetty, then circle back to the south.

I've looked at the chart, and it makes sense. We had it as our "Plan A" on the way south, but the trip was moving nicely so we went on to Atlantic City. I wouldn't dream of it in bad weather, and it didn't seem prudent for the OP.

Oh, and about TowBoatUS -- that was the third or fourth time we called them this summer. They are a valuable asset. No membership required, no payment, just friendly folks. In every case, they gave me actionable intel, and I think Barnegat was the only place where I didn't then go in. Point is, don't be afraid to call them -- they are super helpful! Point Judith, RI, the marina said we couldn't get in with 7' -- but TowBoat said 10' easy, and they were right.
Old 28-10-2021, 14:37   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Notyetsinking View Post
You mentioned in an earlier post you had a dog with you, I just went through hell trying to get my dog sorted as I didn’t think he could handle the long NJ leg. How did your dog do?

We have a 45lb male Australian Shepherd. He was a great companion, and was generally not an issue. We spent 110 days aboard, with 87 different locations, and less than a dozen days at a pier. Most of his trips ashore were in the dinghy, with a few launches. He's a male, and so that's a problem -- females pee to pee, males pee to mark. We took him ashore at least twice a day (and the goal was 3 -- morning before departure, on arrival, and before bed), but that often meant 12+ hours between trips. He was anxious when we got ashore! We tried and tried to get him to pee on the boat, and on day 110, 2 hours from home, he finally peed on a Dorade vent. He could have picked a better place....

Finding places to land wasn't always easy. But north of Cape Cod (and for sure, north of Cape Ann), things became less populated and easier.

The trip from AC to Sandy Hook on the way up, and the reverse on the way down, were far and away our longest trip. But he seemed to make it.
Old 29-10-2021, 09:33   #11

Boat: 1993 Sabre 362 #113

We did the trip from NYC to Cape May and then the Chesapeake last September, a week or two ahead of SailingHarry.

Our initial weather planning was done with Predict Wind which was pretty accurate. Our buddy boat hired Chris Parker (~$30) for a one time consultation on passage timing, based on his recommendation we left a day earlier than planned and had a delightful overnight sail from NYC to Cape May.

Winds started light from NE and gradually built to 8-12, it was about an 18 hour sail.

Going up Delaware Bay we left at dead low tide in Cape May Harbor and rode the tide up the bay arriving at the C&D just about the time the current became favorable for passage down the canal. All in all, it was 12 hours from Cape May (we went through the canal, the OP won't be able to) to anchor down in the Bohemia River on the Chesapeake.

The take away:

Leave Sandy Hook early or mid afternoon. Sail all night to Cape May (Henlopen). Stay 3-5 miles off shore.
Leave Cape May at low tide preferably with an east wind and head to C&D. Duck into Bohemia River after the canal for some much needed R&R. Enjoy the eagles soaring over head.
Dave Lochner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2021, 09:35   #12

Boat: Gozzard, 44CC, 50'

Definitely NW down the Jersey Coast. Try for slack tide at Atlantic City and Mind the channel going in. Make dock arrangements ahead of time. Cape May has a soft bottom so use plenty of scope. Anchor in vicinity of CG station. Transiting the Delaware Bay with any wind out of the north can get very lumpy. Try for flood tide to get you up the bay and thru the C & D. JMHO
Scrimshaw4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2021, 10:21   #13

Boat: FP, Eleuthera 60

Just did the sail, we are now in Norfolk waiting for the next window to round Cape Hatteras. We used Predict Wind non stop NYC to Norfolk, with your boat an easy sail
MIRELOS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2021, 10:34   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Lochner View Post
All in all, it was 12 hours from Cape May (we went through the canal, the OP won't be able to) to anchor down in the Bohemia River on the Chesapeake.

I'm pretty sure the canal that Dave is mentioning as a problem is the Cape May Canal -- the C&D is not a problem! The Cape May Canal is problems for the OP on both water and air.
Old 31-10-2021, 19:55   #15

Boat: 1987 Cape Dory MKII 30 Hull #3,

https://www.thesandpaper.net/article...sh-into-jetty/
davil is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
chesapeake bay, new york