Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-07-2009, 03:54   #1

Newb from Brazil - Need a Boat

Hi people,

Hello,

I'm from Brazil, and new to sailboats but old in motor boats. (i have 33 years old).
I never put my feet on a sail boat yet but i'm definitively go cruising (sun rote)

I have about 70k (budget) to buy and equip a sailboat but i dont know anything about boat builder :. I'm disposed to buy it in US ou
Caribbean because in Brazil every think about boat is very very expensive we have a very limited options.

I think in a 30' 35 feet because i go alone 90% time. I like to buy a Hallberg Rassy or a Island Packet new but you know $$$
So i have so many question, i dont know if i buy a good boat like Island Packet ou H.Rassy but OLD or i buy a newest but with this reputation!

I have one shore! i need a boat with have a little maintenance when i'm cruising and much job to refit or reform.

I'm open mind for any sugestion.
thanks for you help and sorry my english.

Caio
SailBR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2009, 07:31   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Greetings and welcome aboard, SailBR.

Good luck in your boat search.

Don’t be sorry about your English; which is MUCH better than my (and most others) Portuguese.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2009, 15:58   #3

Thanks God May,

I'm searching and searching... and more i searching more i'm confused.
I'm reading this topic http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...old-24748.html and make more confuse!
With my budget I can buy a very good boat but old like IP, HR,CSY, Sabre with unquestionable reputation in other hand wiht the same budget I can buy a newest boat like Jeanneau, Beneteau Dufour, Catalina, hunter etc

I will live in the boat for next 5 to 10 years. I have $ to refit, repair or refurbish but after that need had a good boat with law maintenance, i don't will like know my boat have a big problem in a hull or mast or where else. I think i will do 85% of the job.

Tanks for any suggestion.
Old 22-07-2009, 14:50   #4

nobody ?
Old 22-07-2009, 14:59   #5

Boat: o'day 22
Mahina Expedition - Offshore Cruising Instruction look at this site it should be a big step in the right direction
bigwhyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2009, 15:05   #6
Eternal Member

Boat: Simpson, Catamaran, 46ft. IMAGINE
HI,

I love your country, Brasil, and the people. I spent a month driving from Cuiaba to Rio, and then north to Mackae, and back.

Sounds like you are already doing some good research with the boats you are naming. Sometimes it takes a while for a thread to get moving, so be patient, and answers will come your way.

If you can visit the USA, then Florida has good buys with our economy. Also don't forget you can get some good buys in the Carribean. That's where I bought Imagine. many people's dreams end there for one reason, or another. I went through Bay Island Yachts on St. Maarten. Knowledgable, and good people to work with if they have something for you. BEST WISHES in finding a boat to serve you well.......i2f
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	JESUS & I.jpg
Views:	188
Size:	99.0 KB
ID:	9051  
imagine2frolic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2009, 15:18   #7

OK, I'm not sure whether you plan to cross oceans (sun rote?). If the plan is to cruise the Bahamas/Caribbean single handed - start with this:

1979 Columbia 9.6 Sail Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com

I know nothing about it beyond what’s in the ad. But, there is some reason to believe that she is a good old boat with some nice upgrades, reasonably well equipped for single handing, and in good condition she would be suitable for cruising the Bahamas/Caribbean. Only an expert survey can tell you for sure.

Make this boat your baseline for comparison with others.

Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows (River Rat to Mole)
slomotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2009, 06:55   #8

imagine2frolic
Yes, Brasil is a very very nice country, with nice places and good people but with serious problem too.
The most important is the high cost of living, extortionary taxes from government and violence.
because this thinks I decided to run away and change the way of life.
Every think about boat here is very expensive 2 x more than US and Caribbean.
Since I decided to change I buy everything in US. I do not spend plus a dollar here, with customs taxes and shipping is more cheap than to buy here.
I visited florida 3 time but it is to another topic.
I have in a boat sinse i have one year old. My father had many yachts so i think i have some
experiences with navigation but in motor boat.

bigwhyte
yeh, i read the Mahina Expedition same times, it's very elucidative and very instructive but it does not answer mine doubts.
I think the must important for now is: Is better a old very good boat like Hallberg Rassy, Island Packet or not to good boat but newest.
In the Mahina Expedition database I don't see anything about Dufour, Jeanneau or Beneteau.
It's important because the difference can can be about 2 years or more of free sailing with all pay.

slomotion
Tanks for you replay, I'm sure it's baseline for comparison with others.
My plan is living on board for the next 10 years and voyage world almost time single handed.
almost following the equator line.
this rote:
Old 23-07-2009, 13:07   #9

Boat: Tartan 27' - 'Odalisque'
Have you considered an Allied sailboat?
I met and sailed with a guy from Chile who came up to NY to buy a 1972 Allied Seawind 32' ketch for $8000. It had good sails, the motor worked and it was an impressive boat for the money he paid. Last I heard from this fellow he was already south of Norfolk, VA on his way to Miami and he was mostly solo sailing.
I met this chap on sailnet and took some photos of the boat for him before he came up here.
Good luck with your search.
CalebD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2009, 13:44   #10
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
My choice would generally be for an older 'quality' boat, preferably “un-improved”*, over a newer 'commodity' boat.
* Owner modifications are seldom improvements.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Brazil