Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-02-2008, 08:24   #31

I guess I didn't make myself clear:

Mopars blow the doors off Ford and Chevy.

Well, I guess a Chevy 409 is pretty cool - don't want you to think I have a strong opinion or anything.
slomotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2008, 08:53   #32
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by swabbmob View Post
I just closed a deal on a 1973 beast
but she is in great condition, with minimal refit required
you can find great boats, especially Pearson 365's, that have been well cared for

once you and the Admiral have spent a week on it, she will learn to love it, and she will, over time, understand the quality difference when compparing to some of the newer boats.
I agree and would like to add something from my own experience with wives and boats:

My wife will not step foot on an type of Catalina/Hunter or even Beneteau (sorry guys... her preference, not bad mouthing those boats -nothing wrong with them). Why? She firmly believes that these boats were made with shareholders in mind, more than quality in mind (again... no flames, please. These are her thoughts). She likes a big, heavy boat and understands the comfort that goes along with one.

She developed this preferences at the Newport in-water boat show before we even bought a cruising/liveaboard boat. We went on all the latest cats, Catalinas, Beneteaus, and it turns out she liked the older, more sturdy feeling boats in the used fleet better than the new.

To her the new ones felt like campers, while old ones felt like ships. Jump up and down in a new boat or on its deck. Then go over to a big, old heavy boat and jump up and down. The difference is readily apparent.

Jump up and down inside the boat as well.

My point is that wives don't all need fancy stuff or modern beauty to be happy and secure, especially our new member's wife if they tented all over the place and stuff.

There are different types of wives. If you married a "cool chick", you don't have to worry about the wife side of it, except that you need to make sure she likes the boat and feels secure with it.

If you married high maintenance, well... then you need the new boat.
ssullivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2008, 09:45   #33

Boat: 2008 Hunter 49
My husband and I just purchased a new Hunter 49. We never thought we would be interested in one; however, we have really noticed a great improvement in the line. We had already ordered the new 49 when we found it had been named Cruising World`s Boat of The Year. Also, Mike Harker just sailed one 26,000 miles in 11 months with no construction problems.

We`ll keep you posted over the next year about any issues.
jayncee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2008, 10:19   #34

ssullivan,

You're not giving your wife enough credit. Not only did she wind up with a drop dead gorgeous 45' Gulfstar; but she also managed to convince you that you have her all figured out.
slomotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2008, 10:37   #35
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by slomotion View Post
ssullivan,

You're not giving your wife enough credit. Not only did she wind up with a drop dead gorgeous 45' Gulfstar; but she also managed to convince you that you have her all figured out.
Yeah.... she's good.... ha ha ha

For real though, she's like being married to a guy, only more fun. If only I could post a pic... lol I wake up every day feeling like the luckiest guy alive when it comes to the "wife lottery." Maybe I'll post a pic for like 2 seconds in the gallery and then delete...
ssullivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2008, 11:33   #36

Boat: Dix Custom 65
The choice is a tough one.
A quick compare of modern light designs, as opposed to older heaiver displacment.

New lighter designs, mean faster cheaper,more space, probably eaiser to fix when it does go wrong and it will. and a bit smarter all round ,being faily new.

On the flip side , new light designs break eaiser, have a much livelier motion in a sea way and at anchor, can't carry much of a payload , and believe me you will need a pay load capability when long term blue water cruising.

It depends on what sort of cruising you will be doing, marina hopping or blue water.
A little light Tupperware type boat will fit the marina hopper.

The old saying, go for the biggest boat you can afford has some merit also.

Graham Yacht Lorrigray II
lorrigray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2008, 11:36   #37

Boat: 15 foot Canoe
Hey Cowboy,
I didn't know were going to do a tally!! I would have voted early and often just like I do here for the elections.
JohnL
SkiprJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2008, 12:11   #38

Boat: C&C 38'
Good Reliable Information from this Great Forum

Good Reliable information
I just had to make this public. It is priceless. I know that it was a private message and I should ask first but he might have said no!
I had a question about CSY boats so I sent CSY man a private message and he replied in kind. What follows is the unvarnished truth.
First I said:
Originally Posted by Cowboy Sailer
Need a little info.
Presently YachtWorld.com has two CSY 37's, one is plan A and one is plan B. There were no interior pictures of Plan A and the ones of Plan B didn't have an understandable picture of the layout.
I thought, "Ask CSY Man, he will know!" Can you direct me to some resources that will help me understand? Do you have any opinions about these boats? What other words of wisdom do you have?
Thanks in advance,
Jerry

And here is the priceless reply conveying his great knowledge that he so freely shared with a poor searcher of truth:
Well, I knew the difference, but have forgotten.
Plan A (or was it B) had a smaller main cabin and an additional "bedroom".
One had the head in the bow, behind the chain locker...A or B, can't remember..:-)

Basically the difference is between a lay-out for charter or a lay-out for personal cruising, the charter boat had an extra double bunk in an extra cabin.

We have a CSY e-mail list on Topica.com
You can sign up there and research the CSY archives and also ask questions or just chat and hang out.

In general the CSY boats are well built and they have quality hardware and bits and pieces.
They are getting old but if the previous owners have maintained the boats well, they could be a bargain

I love my CSY 33 and I have never met an unhappy CSY owner.

Old 16-02-2008, 12:19   #39

Boat: C&C 38'
Good Reliable Information from this Great Forum

I just had to make this public. It is priceless. I know that it was a private message and I should ask first but he might have said no!
I had a question about CSY boats so I sent CSY Man a private message and he replied in kind. What follows is the unvarnished truth.
First I said:
Originally Posted by Cowboy Sailer
Need a little info.
Presently YachtWorld.com has two CSY 37's, one is plan A and one is plan B. There were no interior pictures of Plan A and the ones of Plan B didn't have an understandable picture of the layout.
I thought, "Ask CSY Man, he will know!" Can you direct me to some resources that will help me understand? Do you have any opinions about these boats? What other words of wisdom do you have?
Thanks in advance,
Jerry

And here is the priceless reply conveying his great knowledge that he so freely shared with a poor searcher of truth:
"Well, I knew the difference, but have forgotten.
Plan A (or was it B) had a smaller main cabin and an additional "bedroom".
One had the head in the bow, behind the chain locker...A or B, can't remember..:-)

Basically the difference is between a lay-out for charter or a lay-out for personal cruising, the charter boat had an extra double bunk in an extra cabin.

We have a CSY e-mail list on Topica.com
You can sign up there and research the CSY archives and also ask questions or just chat and hang out.

In general the CSY boats are well built and they have quality hardware and bits and pieces.
They are getting old but if the previous owners have maintained the boats well, they could be a bargain

I love my CSY 33 and I have never met an unhappy CSY owner."

That's my story and I'm stickin' to it! (thanks CSY Man, lol)
Old 16-02-2008, 12:24   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weyalan View Post
Personally, I don't think that "lighter" necessarily equates with "more flimsy" necessarily. Materials and designs continue to improve (otherwise we would still all be sailing square riggers made from oak). Using "exotic" materials such as kevlar and carbon fibre can allow designers and builders to produce vessels that are stronger and lighter than older boats. Furthermore, while I can't speak for American built boats (damn you, Jones Act), European built boats (such as Beneteaus, Jeanneaus, etc) haave to be built to quite stringent scantling rules.

If I had the money (which I don't), I would go for new/light every time.
Weyalan, you have to come visit. We'll take you sailing and maybe change your mind about old and heavy?
Joli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2008, 12:25   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pelagic View Post
“Newer, Lighter or Older, Heavier “ model.

Just to be clear, we’re talking about the boat here…not the wife?
What a great line!
Joli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2008, 16:36   #42

Boat: 15 foot Canoe
Aloha Cowboy,
Would you expect a 33 owner to know immediately what the 37 layout is? Just curious. Very different boats you know. He's probably not a factory rep..
I guess I'm not understanding what your post is implying???
JohnL
SkiprJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2008, 17:46   #43
Senior Cruiser

Boat: 1980 Endeavour 43 (Ketch)
John - I think that Jerry was extolling the response as honest and informative ... and the link to the CSY forum obviously was a great lead. I do not think that Jerry was slamm'n anyone. We ALL have to remember that nuances do not translate well in written form.
S/V Elusive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2008, 06:21   #44
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowboy Sailer View Post

Didn’t know weather question was about boats or wives!
One

What a Forum!
I thought we were talking about muscle cars - LOL.

Good one Cowboy. You're gonna fit right in.

BTW 8-7 or now 8-8 on opinions? You expected someting different - Hahaha...

PS - 1961 Chevrolet Bel Air 409 2dr Hdtp PRICE REDUCED For Sale
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2008, 13:04   #45

Boat: VandeStadt IOR 40' - Insatiable
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joli View Post
Weyalan, you have to come visit. We'll take you sailing and maybe change your mind about old and heavy?
I'd love that. Unfortunately current plans / budgetary constraints preclude significant overseas trips for the foreseeable future.

My preference for lighter boats is not necessarily a criticism of heavier boats, more a case of "devil you know"... I learned to sail on racing boats. So I am more familiar with their strengths / weaaknesses and general caprices than I am with the older heavier designs.

I was merely pointing out that the often held belief that newer lighter boats are not as strong as older heavier boats is not necessarily the case. I'm sure that there are production boats that are built for charter-fleet day sailing (with the idea that they will have paid for themselves in 3-4 years of chartering) that are light and flimsy, but this mentality is only a small portion of the modern boat market. Not that my boat is particularly new (early 80's), but it's hull & decks are a combination of fibreglass and kevlar, and I think it is pretty strong.

To be 100% honest, I'm not too fussy about what I sail on, provided I have a dry bunk and enough breeze to get it going under sail...
Weyalan is offline   Reply With Quote