Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-04-2016, 00:52   #16

Location: Horseshoe Cove Sausalito/Currently in La Paz,BCS,Mex.
Boat: Ron Holland 43 Semi-custom Sloop
Re: Newport 30 open transom

I had a N-30 Phase ll and raced one design(San Fran. YRA) until the fleet was dropped in early 2000. These boats are Gary Mull design,i.e.,the Phase l & ll,the Mark III's were Mull copies, as I understand it,not willing to pay Mull design fees they designated it "Mark" III and was listed as being designed by the "Capital Yachts Design Team", she is obviously very similar to the base model 30 and Phase II versions which were listed as Gary Mull designs. The keel and rudder of the Mark III are radically different shapes than the earlier boats, the prow is more knife edged than the rounded prow of the earlier boats and the deck to hull flange joint turns outward rather than inward making her appear wider on the spec sheet than her earlier siblings. Per the spec sheets, the Mark III is about 3 inches wider and 1 foot longer than the earlier models.When I was measurer for the fleet,it was dying then, we decided to allow the Mark III's to be part of the fleet in spite of their different and various configurations to keep the fleet alive. We inquired around for some missing info for the Mark III.
Asking the factory how much ballast weight she had since the sales brochure did not list a ballast weight in the specs. Their answer was "enough", then asked if she had more or less ballast than the Phase II and the reply "less". The ballast figure in the specs for a Phase II listed it at 2800 lbs., so one must assume that the Mark III is less than 2800 lbs. For more info check out <http://www.newport30.org/>it's dated,but there's an email add. of the fleet champ in the racing link - tell'em I sent ya Jack
Oh, the transom, never seen one like that.
Capt Gill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2016, 11:48   #17

Boat: Newport 30

OK all,
So I`m going with the modification being done by a previous owner. As I said earlier everything on the top side is seamless, kudos to whoever is that much of an artist with glass and gel coat. I crawled deeper back this morning and it was cut out from original mold at some point. Until someone says they also have one or seen one we`ll stick with the modify version and not that Capitol Yachts was experimenting. Thanks for the input and regardless, sure is nice to just walk out the back and slip into the dinghy!
Dubble D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2016, 20:45   #18

I was looking at saildata and the 27 had that layout ....i have no idea what that says!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk
Seacod is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
newport