Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-10-2009, 14:18   #16

the systems are all the things the boat cannot function with out extraneous electronics and such are not part of a boat only additions to make handling a boat easier. fuel, engine, electrical, water systems, head systems, steering gear, bilge pumps, through hulls, prop shaft and prop., mast, standing/running rigging, winches, sails, ports, fixed windows, ventilation, hatches, etc. these are the bones of the boat.
mike d. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2009, 14:18   #17

Good advice from Sailvayu... except, look for prices on other of the same boat deduct 30% from asking price, then deduct another 20% for this particular boat!

.....as far as the enigne goes....one option.... look at everything on the boat and decide "other than the engine" if you want it. If you do and can decide on a price, then just deduct $10k for the engine. Not a bad place to be .... you never know with a boat that's been sitting that long.... a quick sale for $25k might sound pretty good to the disillusioned owner right now.....
Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2009, 14:43   #18

That was great Sailvayu, thank you very much!

They said the masts and rigging have been stored in a barn and there are sails in decent shape. I'd bet on the running rigging should to be replaced but that's pretty common on a boat that old.

I'm fine with replacing some hoses, greasing up winches, etc....but working on a diesel sounds like it's probably over my head. And I know a lot of things that seem like they shouldn't cost a whole lot like props and dodgers can be remarkably expensive.

I'm guessing they've done some work on it...they say it has GPS and those weren't all that common 9+ years ago from what I remember. I'm looking at the pictures and see what's probably the 100' power cord lying in the yard, so maybe it was hooked up to power too....maybe someone living aboard in the yard?

The wife urging a quick sale to get that damn boat out of the yard would be helpful, heh.
jm21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2009, 15:02   #19

Boy, just from what I'm reading it sounds like there might be a lot of stuff that goes with it. But also reading between the lines... maybe you dont want to be too much of a boat mechanic...? That is a big boat and even one that has been used will be a lot of work.
Unless the engine was heavily fogged and maybe refogged yearly... If I bought that boat I might not even turn the engine over.... remove the head ...look for rust etc on the cylinders and clean it up if there is light rust. Just might save it if you do it right... Heavily rusted... overhaul it.
Old 29-10-2009, 15:49   #20

Well turns out they just trucked the boat up there and then haven't touched it since. Seems crazy to me...maybe it's more of a project than they're letting on.

I'd like to learn a bit more about diesels, but I've never had one before and don't know a whole lot about them. My uncle is a retired machinist though and has worked on the diesel engines in his boats a lot though, might be willing to help out or at least give me some advice.

I need some new hobbies but boat restoration seems to be an awfully expensive one.
jm21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2009, 15:59   #21

Regardless of restoring anything, just putting what's there back together and getting it working will require a big committment. You need to really want to go sailing and live aboard for that committment. Otherwise a nice little 30 footer will give you the same pleasure....
Old 29-10-2009, 16:03   #22

Boat: Irwin 40
"I need some new hobbies but boat restoration seems to be an awfully expensive one."

HA! it aint a hobby it is a lifestyle! lol and yes it is expensive and not for the faint of heart, but it is doable. But make sure you are committed or you will be selling this boat just like this guy is.....dreams gone bust!

Don't mean to be hard but make sure this is what you want and you are willing to work for it. The rewards are great but you pay in all your free time and money.

Oh and if you go ahead and the hull survey is good think about an engine survey. See.... the money spending starts before you even own it lol.

Wayne Canning, AMS
projectboatzen.com
sailvayu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2009, 16:10   #23

Boat: Cascade
Just jumping in and the others have vastly more knowledge than me but I have to ask after briefly reading through the posts.

Have you had a boat...a big sailboat before. There could be a huge amount of small issues with it and some big ones too.

Don’t buy someone else’s problems!

If you are very experienced or are willing to potentially spend double the purchase price in work ok. Believe me you will have enough of a hobby with just doing maintenance on a smaller good boat

It is expensive!

Why didn't this guy have it in the water sailing.
Old 29-10-2009, 16:20   #24

Boat: Prout Manta 38
Something else to remember, rubber goes hard with age, and it then may fail under use. Other components may also appear to be working and then subsequently fail.

Our first boat was a Catalina 27 that had sat idle (in the water, not on the hard) for some long period before we bought her. I think things started to fail the second weekend we took her out- stove, head, water pump, port seals... you get the idea.

Having said that, after some unexpected start up costs, she turned into a terrific boat, with a lot less wear and tear in most areas than others of the same vintage. When we bought the new boat, we just expected the same types of failures to happen. We weren't disappointed.:-) (Along with the engine, I would suggest paying particular attention to hoses, since they can be critical.)

Carrie
Kimarah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2009, 16:37   #25
cruiser

disuse is certainly a problem but looks like they went to a certain amount of trouble to put her in a tent and cared for her. as far as drug up the hill and forgot about her .... well I drove my '47 CJ-2 in nice shape back outa the way in the field and then life happened and there she sat for 30 yrs. so I understand how she could be forgotten..

whatever you do do it based on your own due diligence - don't walk away from what could be a great boat based on opinion of people who haven't seen her. no one on ebay expects to et full asking price either.

this opinion worth exactly what you paid for it
Noname1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2009, 17:35   #26
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"
I think it really depends on your goal in life.
Do you want to go cruising the tropical circumnavigation? Or do you want to work as a boat builder?

For the price you pay for the boat (not including what you wouold have to spend extra) you can afford a ready to go, low maintenance, ex-charter boat... buy in the BVI's today and sail away tomorrow.

Its your choice.

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2009, 17:50   #27

Boat: Gullfstar 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailvayu View Post
Are there trees nearby (within 100 feet)
It has been said in the past that there are no stupid questions, only stupid answers. What is important about trees within 100 feet?
Old 29-10-2009, 18:31   #28

Boat: Catalina Morgan 45
Looks a lovely type of boat. Go and have a good poke about in her. If she's been covered, rot from fresh water should not be too much of a problem. She may be a bit mouldy here and there, but you can get rid of that fairly easily. Things with rubber in them may need to be replaced as it will have gone hard from lack of use. But she definitely looks worth a close look to me. If she looks OK to you, hire a surveyor and brief him well. Good luck.
Cherp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2009, 18:33   #29

Boat: Catalina Morgan 45
Dune...trees shed leaves and bark. In general, this wil be acidic and will hurry-up any other process of deterioration.
Cherp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2009, 18:46   #30

Boat: Irwin 40
yes all those leaves and debris cause fungus and rot can make things bad fast

Wayne Canning, AMS
sailvayu is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
on the hard