Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-08-2013, 11:30   #1

Boat: Allmand 31
No.2 Allmand 31

Hi Again All,

Attempt #2: A step up from the 28' San Juan... a 1979 Allmand 31. Laid a bid down yesterday, waiting for the seller's answer. Pristine condition, only 2 owners. Don't know if its a "tall rig" or not. Wife really fell in love with that interior! All controls lead aft and all she wanted to know was if I could sail it by myself.

Actually the boat buying experience so far has been fun and consumed 3 weeks, going on 4, could last the rest of the nice sunny boating season up here in the Pacific North West.

Dave
Old 12-08-2013, 09:01   #2

Re: No.2 Allmand 31

Owners accepted our offer, so the process starts all over again. Water test this Saturday, survey after that. Fun, fun, fun!
Old 12-08-2013, 09:04   #3

Boat: Pacific Seacraft a Crealock 34

Good luck. Sailed an Allmand 35 pilothouse cutter from Texas to Virgin Islands. Very very strong boat. Great layout as well.
Old 12-08-2013, 17:27   #4

Boat: Watkins 29'
Good luck with the survey / sea trial. My father in law had a 31' back in the early 80's, she was a good boat and was easily single handed. I had a 35' Tri cabin and was very happy with her, sailed well and was very comfortable.
Old 18-08-2013, 06:55   #5

Hi All,

The water trial went very well. The wife and I were both pleased with the motoring performance. Din't have enogh wind to really sail. The 10k we did have just wasn't enough to get this heavy thing doing much of anything against a 3-4k current. The sails are horribly dirty, but didn't look "worn out" (kept their shape). Turns out this boat was shipped to Seattle in 1980 and kept/owned by the Allmand dealer at the time, sold to the present owner in 1991 and now I might be it's 3rd owner. The husband and wife owners took emaculate care of it and kept up with maintenance and improvements. Survey water trial and haul out this coming Wednesday.

Dave
Old 20-08-2013, 07:30   #6
cruiser

Boat: Slocum 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_E View Post
Hi All,

The water trial went very well. The wife and I were both pleased with the motoring performance. Din't have enogh wind to really sail. The 10k we did have just wasn't enough to get this heavy thing doing much of anything against a 3-4k current. The sails are horribly dirty, but didn't look "worn out" (kept their shape). Turns out this boat was shipped to Seattle in 1980 and kept/owned by the Allmand dealer at the time, sold to the present owner in 1991 and now I might be it's 3rd owner. The husband and wife owners took emaculate care of it and kept up with maintenance and improvements. Survey water trial and haul out this coming Wednesday.

Dave
I was the Purchasing Manager for Allmand Boats 1980-82 just before they went out of business. The Allmand 31 was a hand laid up boat and very stout. Her major design flaw was excessive free board that caused the bows to oil can. Look in the bow to see if FAB matt was used to stiffen the bows. This was done when I came on board, a '79 model may not have this feature.

Great layout and perfect Bahama boat. That was what she was designed for. She actually is a Charlie Morgan designed race boat below the waterline. You will notice a flat section amidships that helps her performance but was somewhat defeated when Allmand reduced the draft to 4'.

Btw, the 35' and 35 pilothouse were stretched 31's with reverse transom and a foot of draft added.

If you have any questions give me a shout.

RT
vtcapo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2014, 07:19   #7

RT -

Did you know anyone who took the 31 offshore? Not saying I ever would (too much water in Puget Sound).

The boat has been a pleasure so far. I refitted the mast... all new standing and running rigging. Our first year of cruising was good, (2) 8 day voyages and a couple overnighters.

The boat is super solid and did not give me any reason not to invest in her, i.e. new hot water heater, new pumps, new head, replace this, replace that.

Dave
Old 10-09-2019, 21:04   #8

VYCAPO,
Attached please find photo of rudder post to a 1983 Allmand 31 at MYC.
GEICO wants me to service the post for corrosion.
What and how would I do this?
Thank you,
Chris
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1983 Allmand 31 - rudder post.jpg
Views:	184
Size:	171.6 KB
ID:	199624  
Paradox111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2019, 09:14   #9

Boat: Cape Dory 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paradox111 View Post
VYCAPO,
Attached please find photo of rudder post to a 1983 Allmand 31 at MYC.
GEICO wants me to service the post for corrosion.
What and how would I do this?
Thank you,
Chris
Your photo and the arrows seem to indicate you are concerned with the condition of the stuffing box hose and the hose clamps in particular. The quick and dirty solution is to remove the old clamps and replace with new clamps.....unless it appears the old hose is cracking or showing other signs that it is failing.
Get in there with some simple green so you can see what you are dealing with.
Repacking your stuffing box and replacing the hose and clamps would be the best advice for a boat that age if you are so inclined.
Orion Jim is offline   Reply With Quote