Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-10-2018, 12:14   #1

non skid fiberglass deck panels

Good evening to you all.

Me and my partner have just purchased a Hylas 44 after looking at loads of boats for long distance cruising this one seemed to be the best fit for us.

We will be re fitting the boat over the next year getting her ready for offshore work.

One of the major jobs on our list is the deck. The boat had teak decks originally and some one has done a really bad job of removing them. The teak as far as I can tell is still under the genoa tracks stanchion bases and davits. The boat has the had thin fiberglass non skid deck panels glued down some how in a nice deck pattern and then all the gaps have been filled and painted.

The filler is cracking in places and the non skid panels have become unglued in some areas as well. As far as we can tell the core is still ok but we wont know this until the fun has started.
To fix this properly we plan to remove all the deck fittings and the remove the fiberglass deck panels. lay up new glass then prep the surface for Kiwi grip or something like this product.

My big question is has any one removed fiberglass deck non skid panels before. What is the best process for doing this. We hope someone has been through this before and has some tips for our big project ahead.

I am sure there will be many more questions

Thanks in advance for any help

Blake and Erica
sailing alice is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
deck, fiberglass, panels