Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-06-2020, 19:40   #1

Nordic 40 Questions?

Thinking about buying a Nordic 40, but I can't find much information on the boat except for a Cruising World review and a Cruisers Forum post on a possible keel stepped mast issue (both links below). I know that not many Nordic 40's were made and was hoping that someone could help fill in some of the blanks. I plan on using the boat as a liveaboard and sailing the Pacific Northwest (Puget Sound mostly) with dreams of bluewater exploration.

Questions:
- Is the boat a good liveaboard for a couple in colder waters? I see that it is insulated.
- How does it sail in light winds (Puget Sound) and heavy seas (possible future world travel)?
- Any major issues or problems that are common with the boat?
- How is the boats construction, fit, and finish?

Any information, advise, or thoughts on the Nordic 40 would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Links:
https://www.cruisingworld.com/sailbo...le-bellingham/
https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums...ion-46261.html
Battleshort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2020, 18:00   #2

Boat: Tayana 47
Re: Nordic 40 Questions?

I had a Nordic 44 for 11 years and it was an entirely positive experience for me. It's a very well made, solid boat and the 40 and 44 are extremely similar. I like the solid glass hull but with closed cell foam glued to the whole hull for sound and heat insulation. It's not very thick foam but it does make a difference. Workmanship on the interior is as good as anything but the very best, such as a Hinckley or a custom yacht. Forward cabin is big enough so you can be pretty comfortable. Head is located aft by the companionway which I think is a perfect location for it, with a fiberglass molded fiberglass shower tucked in under the starboard cockpit combing. They aren't super lighweight but don't do too badly in light air. The really nice thing about them is that I consider them some of the most sound and safest boats you can buy. They'll hold up great in almost all severe weather conditions and they do pretty well in light air, but not anything close to a 40' J Boat but of course, in the Nordic you're a lot less likely to have your fillings knocked out in heavy weather than you would be on a J. The medium long, deep fin keel makes a not an optimum Bahamas boat but offshore it's extremely seaworthy, and even though there's a substantial skeg in front of the rudder, it's well designed so remains pretty maneuverable in tight quarters. Another feature I like is that the windlass is beneath a hinged opening in the foredeck so it's never in the way.

These boats were designed by Bob Perry (probably designed more active cruisers than anyone else) as a 'performance cruiser' in it's day, though by todays standards it's more of a medium to heavy solid cruiser.

I'd say if you like the boat and it's a reasonable deal, buy it, or look for a 44 at a similar price. They're great boats!
jtsailjt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2020, 18:20   #3

Thank you for your experience on the Nordic 44. The Nordic 40 seems to be of high quality and sound design. However, the 44 appears to have a better interior layout with bigger aft cabin and a aft head (bigger boat). Was your Nordic 44 easy to sail / single hand?
Battleshort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2020, 18:28   #4

Boat: Tayana 47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Battleshort View Post
Thank you for your experience on the Nordic 44. The Nordic 40 seems to be of high quality and sound design. However, the 44 appears to have a better interior layout with bigger aft cabin and a aft head (bigger boat). Was your Nordic 44 easy to sail / single hand?

Very easy to sail and singlehand since all lines are led to cockpit and winch size is generous. I’d say my only complaint about cockpit is that seats are too short to sleep on when it’s hot and stuffy below. Really liked the big destroyer wheel so you can sail while sitting on coamings so you can actually see!
jtsailjt is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
nordic