Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-05-2009, 07:53   #31

Boat: Bristol 29
The size of a Nor'Sea 27. By Sea Ray 34 standards, the 27 is a "little" boat on a trailer.

Yes this is an 8000# displacement, full keel boat. I know the boat and have seen one out of the water on a trailer, parked next to a West Marine store in Orlando where it was being refurbished. It is a big sailboat for trailering but compared to the trouble and expense required to put my 9000# Bristol on a hauler, and have it trucked to my house, the package of the Nor'Sea and its trailer is a neat soluton.

The mast is not something you can step by hand; it will require a yard to step and unstep the mast. However the mast fits onto the top of the boat using the bow and stern pullpits very nicely. I'm not advocating that one should dry sail a Nor'Sea 27. I am simply responding to the original poster's request for info about it as a potential boat for his situation. I think it is an ideal solution.
Old 05-06-2009, 07:47   #32

Boat: Ericson 38-200
My wife and I lived aboard a Nor'sea 27 for 3 years, in our early 30s. We had no trailer for it, so it was in the water full time. It was a comfortable home, and great fun to sail. We would slip the dock lines nearly every weekend and go cruising. We used to purposely go out during small craft advisories to build our confidence, and the Nor'sea always felt safe. By living aboard, we also saved enough money to buy our first home. Though we now sail a larger boat with a much different design, I still look back fondly on our Nor'sea. When the time comes when we can no longer justify the expense of our current boat, we will consider going back to a Nor'sea, with a trailer next time. It will be stored in our driveway where we can easily work on it during the off-season. We'll rent a haul vehicle for the few times we will need one.
Old 05-06-2009, 18:24   #33

Boat: Pacific Seacraft 37, Strike 26
Having lived on a westsail 32 for 4 years, I was amazed how much space for storage we didn't use, I would move to a smaller boat for living/cruising if I wasn't in love with our w32. We've discussed it at length and for us, a well designed 25 to 27 foot hull would be ideal. That said, it is nice to have 4 inches to spare on the water line as she sails great light.
dixiepixiew32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2009, 15:42   #34

FloridaWriter, and all other nice folks.. I've never seen a Nor'Sea 27, but have hoarded all the literature I can find. Stepping the mast seems to be the easiest arrangment ever conceived for a boat this size. I tried to replicate it on a racing scow, but it wasn't a deck mount. Simply slide the mast back and attach it to it's deck bracket. Attach the boom to the mast pointing skyward to form a triangle with the halyard and mast, and use the trailer winch to pull it upright. Once it's up and tight, attach the forestay. It always looked like a 30 min job, even 100 miles from the nearest paved road!
nDanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 13:45   #35

Boat: Looking
Well we've moved from Maryland to the little Historic town of Bath N.C.. one time home to Blackbeard the Pirate. One block from the marina with the Airstream in the side yard. I tow with a 06 Ford 350 6.0L PSD. Should be enough to tow the NorSea. Now to start seriously looking.
Craftsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2009, 11:41   #36

Boat: Looking for a new boat
I noticed that this thread petered out a while ago. Did you ever buy one?
unbusted67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 17:52   #37
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Although there have been no recent contributions to this thread there are still folks out there reading the posts. So... I initially inadvertently posted this under the best trailerable sail boat thread, and my request that the moderator transfer it here failed.

Can't help but to give my two cents worth in this thread. I've lived aboard my center cockpit Norsea27 for 16 years. In that time I have completed most of a global circumnavigation spanning 4 years, 3 months. Having nothing better to do with my time, I am back in Brisbane, Australia now - having sailed from Washington, State to San Francisco, points in between and eventually from Mexico via the milk run to Brisbane. Living aboard a Norsea27 can be a challenge if cruising - especially if there is more than one soul aboard. But, the never ending effort to get stuff off, and control what stuff comes aboard is not unique to small boats - as others have already alluded to in other posts. Her strengths have been adequately covered by others here. Negatives? Sure. She is a "wet butt" boat due to her low free board and tendency to occasionally take water over the rail. Uncomfortable with following seas alternatively lifting her quarters that create significant roll. But, how many boats are not uncomfortable going down wind? She is a champ on a broad reach and with the wind anywhere near a close reach. Fast? Nah. So, if you want to cover ground quickly, a boat with a longer water line would be a better choice. Storage space? If I used it all she would be another 4 inches down on her lines. Safe? A relative question for all boats, but the Norsea27 is built to take abuse. The boat is more likely to come through exceptionally bad conditions than I am... Another negative regards owning a trailer. Most owners probably trailer their Norsea27 infrequently, meaning that they must have some place to store the trailer when not in use. Potentially very expensive and troublesome. Try pulling your Norsea27 to San Diego then find either a place to park it for free or at an affordable cost. Good luck. Been there, done that. Corrosion to trailer brakes and other parts is unavoidable and again potentially expensive to repair. Been there and done that too. For single handing the Norsea27 is ideal. Attracting crew can be a challenge if you want someone to sail with you. Been there, done that. Managing close quarters with someone you know is quite different from doing so with a stranger. Frankly, I have a hard time understand how some couples - possibly married for years - manage the limited space. Can I recommend owning a Norsea27. You bet. As in owning any boat, serious consideration must be given to what you plan to do with the boat, your personal limitations, wants and needs.

Bob Lorenzi
PorkLoin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 18:15   #38

Hi Bob,

Good to see you on the board.

Greg
Delezynski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 19:56   #39

Boat: Bristol 29
Here is a great blog on living aboard a 27: Living Aboard a Nor’sea 27
Old 06-08-2010, 17:07   #40

Boat: I have been from 8' sabot to a 65' Ketch. I am over the Norsea 27 and looking for 50'+
I just came across an add for "White Cap", a couple circumnavigated her over a 12yr time period and loved her.
Tropicyachty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 00:46   #41

Boat: Thinking and looking
white cap

Yep, I just finished looking thru their site, she's for sale, but no price that I could find. I'm sure she is out of my range though.

On a side note, seems pretty difficult to find one for sale on the low end of the price scale.
suwanee62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 08:58   #42

Boat: I have been from 8' sabot to a 65' Ketch. I am over the Norsea 27 and looking for 50'+
White Cap is sold and he doesn't know how to take her off the internet.....
Tropicyachty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2010, 09:47   #43

Boat: Looking
Haven" t bought a NorSea yet but haven't given up the dream. Wife got transfered to New Mexico (FDIC) so we"ve been living in the Airstream. Going back to Maryland in October so may have a chance to buy one when we get home. My tow vehicle by the way is a 2006 Ford F350 Crew Cab Diesel,. The Airstream is just over 8000 lbs GVWR so shouldn"t have any towing problems.
Craftsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2016, 06:12   #44
cruiser

Boat: Current Bristol 32, past Columbia 26, Tahiti Ketch
Re: Nor'Sea 27 as Liveaboard ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pblais View Post
I wouldn't call it easily trailerable. It is a lot of boat in the water. It also will take a lot of trouble. One of the first boats I saw on a trailer and wondered just how big it was. This in not a boat you pull with the Ford Focus.
It seemed obvious to me that the post referring to "and it's easily trailerable" was not referring to a bike rack, lol. What I believe he was saying was that compared to a non-trailerable 27, it does not require a mast lift, a lift out, loading onto a cross country commercial hauler, and a reassembly and costly launch only at properly equipped yards or marinas - all at great trouble, time, insurance, cost and possible damage - why yes, in comparison the Nor'Sea is in fact "easily trailerable".

To me this is a criticism in search of a problem.
Capn Jimbo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
liveaboard, nor'sea