Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-07-2010, 10:14   #1

Nor'sea Aft Cabin 27'

Anyone have any thoughts or experiences with this boat?
Aloha
dofthesea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2010, 10:37   #2

Here is the link for the boat I'm looking at.
View Boat Photos - YachtWorld.com
Old 31-07-2010, 11:10   #3

Boat: Tartan 41 #68
You might look at this site and send her a message....She has a Nor'Sea 27. She is also a member here (LittleFlower), but haven't seen her post recently, but I'm sure you can contact her from her web site.
Sailing, Simplicity, and the Pursuit of Happiness
bob_77903 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2010, 11:21   #4

Boat: Beneteau 32.5
They have a reputation as well built boats. When I was looking at pocket cruisers, I passed in favor of something with more interior space.

A good resources here for well built pocket cruisers:

Atom Voyages | Voyages Aboard the Sailboat Atom -* Good Old Boats List - choosing a* small voyaging sailboat
nautical62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2010, 11:28   #5
cruiser

Boat: Looking and saving for my next...mid-atlantic coast
They have been regarded as being very good and desirable cruisers. Good versions do not last long on the market and can be pricy. That said:

- Rear caddy cabin is sort of a waste of space and difficult to get to stern
- Tends to be wet cockpit in weather - low freeboard and center of boat.
- Forward cabin is a bit strange. Stowage may be a problem. No fixed chart table.
- Most were delivered as kits and fixed by owners so you get a lot of differences in build quality.
- There were a few aft cockpit models but they are rare and go very quickly on market.
- Engines tend to be underpowered for the boat. Think manufacturer was cutting costs and size. Engine access is difficult.
- This particular listing has sinks on side rather than centered, so may not do well at sea.
- Watch for blisters, rotting rudders and tiller, rotting sprits.

This particular listing has been on market some time ago, and I had called about it. Why it hasn't moved I do not know. You will have to check it out yourself.

I'm not longer interested in Nor'sea due to size and interior design.
SaltyMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2010, 17:01   #6

bob
thanks for the info

nautical
thanks for the info.

Salty
is there a big difference in the aft cabin verses standard cabin?
Salty like this one which is for sale as well in Hawaii?
1977 Norsea Sail Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com
Old 31-07-2010, 17:19   #7
cruiser

dofthesea - i dont know this listing you posted but look like an aft cabin. standard cabin is more roomy and better galley. Seems like there are a lot of norseas that come up in hawaii from time to time.

They even had a motorsailor version 1979 Nor'Sea Pilot House Cruiser Sail Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com

Here is one stateside which will give you a clue on how well the upper price versions can be had:

1988 Nor Sea Aft cabin Sloop Sail Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com

pretty
Old 02-08-2010, 12:57   #8

Norsea 27 review

You could take a look at Nor’Sea 27 Review : Bluewaterboats.org for more info and useful contacts. There's a Norsea 27 owners group on Yahoo too
rosiemac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 16:08   #9

Boat: Nor Sea 27'
Quote:
Originally Posted by dofthesea View Post
Anyone have any thoughts or experiences with this boat?
Aloha
We've had ours since '91 and sailed her from Ca to Fl. One of the prettiest and sweetest sailing little boats available in my opinion. The aft cabin was mainly used for storage when we were cruising.

I've replaced the bowsprit because of rot. I've replaced the fuel tank because of corrosion. I've repaired and modified the rudder.

She still looks good for a 35 year old.

Old 02-08-2010, 23:11   #10

knothead

thanks for the video. What do you you like and dislike about the boat?
Old 03-08-2010, 05:11   #11

Boat: Parkins Herreshoff 28
heres a junk rigged version for 20K!
Home Page
pressuredrop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 05:59   #12

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 331
My dock neighbor has a Nor'Sea 27 aft cabin. He sailed it to Mexico then acreoss to Hawaii with no problems or issues. I've been on it some. It is really a great little boat!
Liam Wald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 06:25   #13
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by pressuredrop View Post
heres a junk rigged version for 20K!
Home Page
I've looked at this. Don't bother
Old 17-04-2011, 17:13   #14

Boat: NorSea 27, Daphne
Re: Nor'sea Aft Cabin 27'

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaltyMonkey View Post
They have been regarded as being very good and desirable cruisers. Good versions do not last long on the market and can be pricy. That said:

- Rear caddy cabin is sort of a waste of space and difficult to get to stern
- Tends to be wet cockpit in weather - low freeboard and center of boat.
- Forward cabin is a bit strange. Stowage may be a problem. No fixed chart table.
- Most were delivered as kits and fixed by owners so you get a lot of differences in build quality.
- There were a few aft cockpit models but they are rare and go very quickly on market.
- Engines tend to be underpowered for the boat. Think manufacturer was cutting costs and size. Engine access is difficult.
- This particular listing has sinks on side rather than centered, so may not do well at sea.
- Watch for blisters, rotting rudders and tiller, rotting sprits.

This particular listing has been on market some time ago, and I had called about it. Why it hasn't moved I do not know. You will have to check it out yourself.

I'm not longer interested in Nor'sea due to size and interior design.
I have a Nor'Sea and would like to address some of these comments on the Nor'Sea.
-Engine: I have a Yanmar 2GM and it is not underpowered for the Nor'Sea. Its just the opposite. In fact, I buddy boat a lot and travel with other sailors and she is very fast under power comparatively, and handles well. Very responsive. Under sail, however, they don't point very well. Yes, engine access is difficult, unless you are little and do a lot of yoga like me. I changed the connecting myself and didn't need to remove the engine from the engine room. I do know that there were problems with rotting fuel tanks in older Nor'Sea. So, if you plan to purchase an older one, check to see if the fuel tank was enclosed in fiberglass. If it wasn't and the tank rots, it is quite a project to replace it.
- I LOVE THE AFT CABIN! I don't think it is a waste of space at all. In fact, that was my favorite cozy place. I could sleep back there and only needed to sit up to scan the horizon. Its a quiet place to sleep underway. There is room for two in the aft cabin. I often slept athwart ships. Yes, it did make it a little bit of a climb to get to the wind vane, but it wasn't a big deal and I didn't have to do it often. I highly recommend the aft cabin model. I slept under the stars every night with the hatch open.
-In my experience traveling aboard other sailboats, there is no stowage problems with the Nor'Sea. The lockers are large and easy to get to. And there are many of them. You can watch my videos on my blog. I take you on a tour of my cabin and show you all the places I stash food and other stores Teresa Carey's Sailing Simplicity and the Pursuit of Happiness Blog Just click on the "video" link. There are several good vids of the Nor'Sea. I lived aboard and had a lot of stuff and amazingly it all fit. The official navigation table is too small for paper charts. I used the stovetop which had a countertop to place over it. It was no problem at all.
-Yes, certainly find out if it was a kit boat and if a good craftsman finished it.
-My sink was on the starboard side. I had the gunwale in the water and the sink never filled. Its not a problem at all. I don't understand that comment. You don't need a sink in the head. You'll never use it. You can't stand up in the head anyway, so you'll likely use the galley sink.

Overall, I give the Nor'Sea an A+. Its a great small pocket cruiser and very seaworthy. And its very pretty. Its good for one or two people and a cat. However, any more than that for a long duration would be difficult. I've heard of families cruising on Nor'Seas, so its possible, but I think my family would go nuts! I've had my Nor'sea since 2008 when I first moved aboard.

I'm happy to answer any more questions you have.

Sincerely,
Teresa
LittleFlower is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
nor'sea