Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-12-2022, 14:42   #1

Boat: Irwin, 44
Northern Eleuthera " Devic's Back Bone "

Greetings,

I am headed to Eleuthera from Ft. Laudr via north of Grand Bahama and Abacos.

Destination is Bottom Harbour near Whale Point.

I have been told that the Navionic Magenta like can guide you thru the Devils Back Bone ( East ward ) with out having to pick up a pilot in Spanish Wells.

Anyone here ever successfully used the " Maganeta Line " using an ipad with Navionics? to get thru the Devils Back Bone by entering from north of Bridge Point?

What is the current price for a pilot from Spanish Wells ? How long does it take to find and hire a pilot? Is there a pilot that anyone can recommend with their contact information.

Vessel is 44 Irwin sail drawing 5 1/2 ft, engine is 55 yanmar

I look forward to any help,Thanks!
gtwashio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2022, 15:59   #2

Boat: 1992 lagoon 42 tpi
Re: Northern Eleuthera " Devic's Back Bone "

I have only done the devil's backbone in the dingy, following aquamaps. Going there was quite simple, it was high tide.
On the way back was low tide with many of the reefs poking thru the waves. My phone died, so we stopped and got it running on my wife's phone . It took about 30 seconds. When I was ready to throttle up and continue, we appeared to be surrounded by reefs! The chart got us through but it was quite tense.
So I guess what I'm saying is it is very difficult to visually navigate and a mistake can be disastrous. I personally have no desire to take my boat through, even though I know I could.
From what I've heard a pilot is around $100.
chris mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2022, 11:20   #3

Boat: Gemini 105Mc+
Send a message via Skype™ to Sailorman Ed

While it has been a few years, I don't think they have changed much. We had a small Garmin unit and followed the suggested course, piece of cake but the seas were calm. When you see the big ferry go thru, you know there is plenty of room. I did put my son up on the spreaders but unnecessary. Pretty sure there was an ad up at the fuel dock for a pilot.The Explorer charts will list a couple pilots as well.
Sailorman Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2022, 11:44   #4
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Beneteau 432, C&C Landfall 42, Roberts Offshore 38

Usually there is more than one boat doing this trip.....just get on the vhf and ask around...split the cost
MicHughV is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2022, 13:53   #5

Boat: Catalina 350

I’m not an expert but was there 10 months ago. Magenta line is a good guide if you go 3/4 flood tide. Your a little deep on draft for about 500 yards thru 1 section but should be fine. Dorian hit and moved some sand around but not the coral . Explorer charts most likely not updated as yet Keep it pretty slow but fast enough to correct for tidal current and wind drift. Don’t put anyone aloft, if you should hit a coral head they may be flung forward. As always only transit reefs in good light and smooth surface water. Spanish Wells has pilots (fishermen) that also taxi people to the area. It should take about 2 hrs to get thru. Ask at the fuel dock in Spanish Wells.
Will you be going out Ridley Head from Spanish Wells?
Fiftybucks is offline   Reply With Quote