Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-11-2018, 16:28   #1

Norvane windvanes, any out there?

A few weeks back I posted that I had to resort to making my own replacement parts for my Norvane windvane and that I made extra.
I was sort of surprised not to hear from any one else in need. Mine is serial number 300, so I figure a bunch were made.
It's a great unit, works great and hasn't needed attention for over 10 years. I love it.
So, out of curiousity, does anyone have or know of folks who have a Norvane windvane self steerer?
Allied39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2018, 17:10   #2

Boat: Westsail 28
Re: Norvane windvanes, any out there?

A friend of mine has a Norvane , he bought it 2 yrs. ago . I helped him install it , I liked the unit and thought it would work well on my boat (boomkin) . Anyway I was trying to contact them and was told they retired from business . But here they are .
Price List – Norvane Self Steering Windvane
markwesti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2018, 17:19   #3

Nope, sorry to burst the bubble. Thats the reason I had to make my own parts. This fellow purchased machinery and stock when the original fellow closed up.
I tried for months, at least 4, to get parts. Gave up in the end. Like banging my head against a wall.
On the bright side I became much more adept with my lathe.
Old 19-11-2018, 18:12   #4

Boat: Vancouver 27

I've got a norvane .. purchased and installed about 5 years ago. I didn't even know they went out of business.. which i guess speaks to the quality .. haven't had to inquire about anything!

The only gripe i have is how the unit swings up like an awkward inverted pendulum when not in use.
laika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2018, 19:12   #5

I was told that it was health issues that forced the business to close. It's a pity, they are a good unit.

It was pretty much the same for me, unit worked perfectly for so long there was no need to make contact after the initial instal.

I do regret not making a cover. Part of the issues I eventually had to deal with was the breakdown of of the delrin bearings in the vane blade base. But the sun will pretty much eventually break down anything left exposed long enough.

Thanks for the reply by the way.
Old 14-11-2019, 10:46   #6

I have the opportunity to possibly buy a new never used Norvane Model 24/20 and have a few questions, please...

1) I'm pretty sure this will install nicely on the transom of my boat but does anyone know if the Model 24/20 will work on a fast 38' Cross trimaran, or what size of boat it's supposed to work on?

2) There's a guy on eBay selling Norvane service kits for $235. Do you think this kit covers most of what could break or wear out? https://www.ebay.com/itm/133006912794

3) Since they are out of business, would I be a fool to buy this for $1000? Again, it's new.

Thanks
magentawave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2019, 12:13   #7

Hey there,

I am the guy with the Norvane parts on ebay,

As for models, I cant say. I do not know that there were multiple models. I do not know what model mine is.....if it has a model.

The parts for sale on Ebay replace every wear part on my Norvane. It was over 10 years in UV before any wear became evident.

There is a Part designed to break if the "rudder" were to hit something solid, which I do not have. It could be easily enough manufactered by a machinist on a lathe if ever needed. I have not ever come close to breaking mine.

As for should you buy it or will it work on a Tri......I can answer neither of those questions.

I love my Norvane. It is all stainless construction. I looked at some aries early on and had no wish to deal with any stainless to Aluminum corrosion issues....removing seized stainless shafts for example.

To me the options were one of the three full stainless units, Norvane, flemming or a monitor.

The Flemming was ludicrously priced ( and having escaped aus I had no intention of sending money back there) . The monitor seems to be a good unit by all I hear with many happy owners but also way more $$ than the Norvane.

Then I talked with the fellow from Norvane ( long gone now sadly) and was thoroughly impressed then with both him and the price.

Does the unit have the wheel drum? Which one, the basic unit or the the drum that can spin?

I dare say the Norvane works as well (perhaps better?) than the other servo pendulum units available......if they would work a Norvane would.

I hope this has been helpfull.

I have no interest in arguing with the trolls.
Old 14-11-2019, 21:17   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allied39 View Post
Hey there,

I am the guy with the Norvane parts on ebay,

As for models, I cant say. I do not know that there were multiple models. I do not know what model mine is.....if it has a model.

The parts for sale on Ebay replace every wear part on my Norvane. It was over 10 years in UV before any wear became evident.

There is a Part designed to break if the "rudder" were to hit something solid, which I do not have. It could be easily enough manufactered by a machinist on a lathe if ever needed. I have not ever come close to breaking mine.

As for should you buy it or will it work on a Tri......I can answer neither of those questions.

I love my Norvane. It is all stainless construction. I looked at some aries early on and had no wish to deal with any stainless to Aluminum corrosion issues....removing seized stainless shafts for example.

To me the options were one of the three full stainless units, Norvane, flemming or a monitor.

The Flemming was ludicrously priced ( and having escaped aus I had no intention of sending money back there) . The monitor seems to be a good unit by all I hear with many happy owners but also way more $$ than the Norvane.

Then I talked with the fellow from Norvane ( long gone now sadly) and was thoroughly impressed then with both him and the price.

Does the unit have the wheel drum? Which one, the basic unit or the the drum that can spin?

I dare say the Norvane works as well (perhaps better?) than the other servo pendulum units available......if they would work a Norvane would.

I hope this has been helpfull.

I have no interest in arguing with the trolls.
Hey thanks for finding me here! I don't know if the unit has the basic drum or the drum that can spin. I'll ask the guy though. So, is the kit you're selling the only kit you have for sale or are you having these kits manufactured and will be selling them on an ongoing basis?
Old 15-11-2019, 06:33   #9

The kit consists of delrin bearings, delrin bushes, pulley wheels , ACME thread and a ball joint.

The ball joint is improved from original design.

The bearings and pulleys are sourced and purchased. The bushes, acme thread and the ball joint are machined by me.

The original owner of Norvane had health issues. The fellow who ended up with all the machinery and stock is .....um....of no use.

I made extra because kits. I have two but can make more when...or if these sell.

I can't promise they will always be available....who knows, might catch a bad case of dead next week...but the plan is to help anyone who needs one so they dont have to deal with.......um.....useless.
Old 15-11-2019, 09:39   #10

Quote:
The kit consists of delrin bearings, delrin bushes, pulley wheels , ACME thread and a ball joint.

The ball joint is improved from original design.

The bearings and pulleys are sourced and purchased. The bushes, acme thread and the ball joint are machined by me.

The original owner of Norvane had health issues. The fellow who ended up with all the machinery and stock is .....um....of no use.

I made extra because kits. I have two but can make more when...or if these sell.

I can't promise they will always be available....who knows, might catch a bad case of dead next week...but the plan is to help anyone who needs one so they dont have to deal with.......um.....useless.
I don't know what this "drum" is or does yet but you asked if it comes with a basic or spinning drum. I contacted the seller and he said it has a basic drum but that since I'll be using this on a boat with a tiller that it wouldn't matter.

Do you offer a kit that's for tiller steering ONLY, and if so, does it cost less than the kit you're currently offering on eBay?

Thanks.
Old 15-11-2019, 09:57   #11

The kit that is for sale on Ebay is for the norvane servo pendulum unit.
I based all dimensions of all components on my unit.

Whether the control lines go to a tiller or a wheel drum makes no difference to the parts required after about 10 years of use.

A grand for a new Norvane is a pretty good deal in my opinion, but that's just my opinion.
Old 28-09-2021, 06:41   #12

Quote:
A few weeks back I posted that I had to resort to making my own replacement parts for my Norvane windvane and that I made extra.
I was sort of surprised not to hear from any one else in need. Mine is serial number 300, so I figure a bunch were made.
It's a great unit, works great and hasn't needed attention for over 10 years. I love it.
So, out of curiousity, does anyone have or know of folks who have a Norvane windvane self steerer?
Hi, Injust bought one from a salvage yard but wind blades are missing. Do you know where I can get them?

Thanks
HectorUribe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2022, 05:56   #13

Boat: Alberg 30

Do you still have Norvane spares kit available? I’m in Indonesia getting ready to cross the Indian Ocean and noticed play in the ball joint.
Thanks,
Jason
SV Lora
Alberg 30
jjernigan1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2023, 14:27   #14

Quote:
The kit that is for sale on Ebay is for the norvane servo pendulum unit.
I based all dimensions of all components on my unit.

Whether the control lines go to a tiller or a wheel drum makes no difference to the parts required after about 10 years of use.

A grand for a new Norvane is a pretty good deal in my opinion, but that's just my opinion.
Any means to find if Allied39 is still dealing at all or has spare parts, etc for a Norvane? Anyone have contact information?
HiSabre is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
wind, windvane