Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-11-2017, 20:07   #16

Location: Thhe boat is in Titusville, FL and we're back in CO for a few months resupplying the cruising kitty and raising money for our childrens dental charity www.sailing4smiles.com
Boat: 1982 Cape Dory 36 Hull #78
Re: Nylon bridle attachment to nylon rode

Thanks for the replies, I’ve now got more options than I thought. My objective was / is to be able to divide the energy of the rode evenly between the two forward cleats.
I think I’ll have an enjoyable time working through each option to figure out which is most suitable for my application. My new anchor is WAY oversized for the length of the boat but I had to step it up due to my displacement.
I now have a 25lb CQR, a big Fortress and an S100 Spade anchor (not a Mantus). I should be good for any bottom condition.
Now I need a windlass.
SSgtPitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2017, 08:41   #17

Boat: VIA 42, aluminium cutter

For the past 30 odd years i have used a ROLLING HITCH with 2 extra turns. They have NEVER slipped ... and never will, if tied in the CORRECT direction of pull ...
blueazimuth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2017, 08:49   #18

Boat: 2017 Leopard 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve77 View Post
Since you have a Mantus anchor, talk to the Mantus folks about this:

Snubber Pendant - Mantus Marine

It looks like an easy way to use a Prusik knot for your anchor rode.

Cheers!

Steve
That looks a lot like what I made for myself using Dyneema with splices at each end. I posted that here over a year ago. Hmmmm - wonder if they adopted that? I don't care if they did -- it works.
SailFastTri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2017, 17:09   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by deblen View Post
If you don't want to mess with knots,make one of these toggle bridles up.
Len

Attachment 158829

Attachment 158830

Attachment 158831

The anchor rode in red continues in one piece to the port cleat. The "bridle rope" is from the stbd cleat out to the rode.
You slack the rode on deck,make two loops in it,push the loops up thru the thimble in the bridle rope & insert the toggle.

I really like the idea of a toggle. Every knot weakens the strength of ropes. This makes the value of a bridal somewhat dubious especially in high winds.
james247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2017, 10:54   #20

Location: Thhe boat is in Titusville, FL and we're back in CO for a few months resupplying the cruising kitty and raising money for our childrens dental charity www.sailing4smiles.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueazimuth View Post
For the past 30 odd years i have used a ROLLING HITCH with 2 extra turns. They have NEVER slipped ... and never will, if tied in the CORRECT direction of pull ...
Blue, after the knot cinches down, how easy is it to remove?
Old 07-11-2017, 14:27   #21

Boat: VIA 42, aluminium cutter

Maybe I don't understand your question - unless you are trying to undo the rolling hitch under tension?? Don't - in any case, how can you reach it? To act as a snubber, the hitch will be several feet in front of the boat.
. Just reverse what you did when you tied on the rolling hitch - bring in the rode until you can comfortably reach the hitch - a few inches forward of the bow rollers - when there will be a loop and no tension on the snubber.
blueazimuth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2017, 17:09   #22
SFS

Why not just tie a long-enough bowline on a bight, and run each loop to a cleat?
SFS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 07:08   #23

Blue, what I meant to convey is after you’re done anchoring, how tight does that hitch cinch down and how hard is it to untie it?

If you guys read my first thread “50 and Ready to Shove Off”, it’ll prbly explain a lot about my sometimes ignorant questions. I read a ton and then go try it out, often spending more money than I should. My experience is limited but I’ve got a nice boat that I’m learning to sail confidently. I’m moving onboard in January and shoving off in 2018. CF members have been a HUGE help in figuring everything out.

I’m learning how to anchor now and don’t want to pull the front of the boat off
Old 08-11-2017, 07:29   #24

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 50 (aka 49)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSgtPitt View Post
My objective was / is to be able to divide the energy of the rode evenly between the two forward cleats.
Note that in harder wind, as your boat sails from left to right, the load will mainly be on one cleat at a time. The ropes will also chafe your bow quite a bit unless you carry them both over the bow roller.

I use a simple metal hook instead of a knot. (When there is no wind, the weight of the chain prevents it from getting loose.)
2big2small is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bridle, men, rode