Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-03-2014, 05:25   #1

Boat: 12' 1976 AMF Puffer
Ocean-crosser with 6'3" headroom for under $35k

Hello! This is a followup to my previous post: http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...0k-102269.html

My grad program took a bit longer than expected, but come August I'll be free to set sail. My budget is now $35k for boat and refit. I am looking for a well-founded boat that could cross the pond with at least 6'4" headroom. Lots of people have suggested I forgo this criteria but my preferences are such that I do not want to slouch, especially considering I intend to live aboard. I'm looking for a cruiser so speed is a distant priority.

I've done much research over the past year, and am going to visit a couple boats next week: a Dreadnought 32 and a Freedom 33 Cat Ketch. I hear tell that the later Westsail 32s had 6'4" headroom? I've emailed some dealers about it but have yet to hear any replies. If true, then that would certainly be top of my list.

My heart longs for a Bob Perry design, but my budget puts the Babas, Tashibas, and Valiants out of reach.

I look forward to any suggestions you have. I'm still new to sailing, but haven't lost the bug while poking around the SC lakes in my little puffer 12 for the past 2 years. My uncle sails (and has won races in) a Bristol 32. I might cruise to the Caribbean with him late in the summer. Or I might just take my own if I've found her by then.

Thank you for your thoughts!
dogeconomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2014, 10:17   #2

Boat: Freedom 38
Re: Ocean-crosser with 6'3" headroom for under $35k

Don't budge of your "have to have" criteria (as long as they're "reasonable").

You might also look at Freedom 32s, which will be easier to find on the East Coast. I looked at a Coast 34 in Vancouver a while back -- 7-ft headroom, and an extremely nice boat with lots of extras, but this one was about double your budget.
gamayun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2014, 10:17   #3

Boat: Cabo Rico 38 & Sea Sprite 30

www bestsailboat.blogspot.com
CR38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2014, 13:12   #4

Boat: Cabo Rico 38 & Sea Sprite 30

I am 6'5" and initially had a similar requirement - finding a bluewater capable boat with at least 6'5" headroom. Sadly, there just aren't that many boats built with tall sailors in mind. The Island Packets have the headroom but are well outside your price range. In the end, I compromised and found a boat with 6'2" headroom and you know what???? Its just fine. I have found that sleeping berth length is more important than headroom.

Check this blog. Lots of good info on great ocean crossers for less than $40K.

Best Offshore Cruising Sailboats < $40K
CR38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2014, 06:37   #5

Thanks thats a good site I haven't come across yet. Those Coasts are nice, but like you said, a bit out of my price range. It seems my options are severely limited, given my budget. Even that Freedom 33 doesn't have enough headroom. Dreadnought is looking like the best, albeit slow, option.

Holding out hope there are Westsails with enough headroom somewhere.
Old 12-03-2014, 07:56   #6

Boat: Aloha 34

I don't know if you'd consider an Aloha 34 to be an ocean crosser or not, certainly some have crossed oceans in the past, and it looks like it has comparable specs to the freedom 33 you're interested in. It has at least 6 foot 3 inches headroom all the way to the v-berth, and in most places looks like its closer to 6 foot 5.
redpointist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2014, 16:41   #7

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Try looking at an old Columbia 50. I'm short, so I may be wrong here, but I seem to remember they had excellent headroom. Be prepared to replace the engine or the suit of sails, but not both.

Ann
Old 12-03-2014, 17:16   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann T. Cate View Post
Try looking at an old Columbia 50. I'm short, so I may be wrong here, but I seem to remember they had excellent headroom. Be prepared to replace the engine or the suit of sails, but not both.

Ann
Thats a really good looking boat. Nice lines. Someone said 6'6" headroom. Unfortunately I'm looking for something I can comfortably single hand.

Just talked to the Dreadnought owner. 6'4" headroom, not the 6'7" I read online. I wonder why it isn't a more published feature? Though maybe most normal sized people don't have to worry about it.
Old 12-03-2014, 17:25   #9

On the cheap... a Rawson 30 has pretty good headroom. Probably hard to find a nice one anymore... some around though. Dry sailors, but old school Bill Garden design so shorter water line.... Probably $12k for a nice one! Better sailors than a dreadnaught, WS or Freedom 33 cat ketch.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2014, 17:33   #10

Boat: Pearson 39-2 "Sea Story"

I'll start sending you the ones that I (5'4) can't reach the grab rails. Unfortunately, the only one I can remember off hand is a shiny new Bavaria Vision.
Greenhand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2014, 18:26   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenhand View Post
I'll start sending you the ones that I (5'4) can't reach the grab rails. Unfortunately, the only one I can remember off hand is a shiny new Bavaria Vision.

You could pick any boat! I'm jealous.
Old 12-03-2014, 18:37   #12

Boat: Pearson 39-2 "Sea Story"

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogeconomics View Post
You could pick any boat! I'm jealous.
I have to check if my feet touch the ground sitting on settees and cockpit seats with cushions
Greenhand is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
head, headroom