Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-12-2013, 15:29   #1

O'DAY 37

Hello,

I'm new to this forum and I would like to ask your opinion on sailboat I am looking at. I'd like t get as much info as possible and I will inspect it myself with the aid of a friend who knows about boats.

I just want to know if anyone has had any troubles maintaining this type of sailboats.

Also, is one happens to know the range price for a fair boat, o'day 37 '79.

Any comments would be really appreciated.

ubergravity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2013, 16:56   #2

Boat: Twin Otter de Havilland Floatplane
Re: O'DAY 37

Hi! Back in the 80's, Annapolis Sailing School used to have a fleet of O'Day 37 for students taking their sailing courses. They were rugged and required average maintenance. The fleet was replaced with Hunter's.

Why would you want to buy a 35-year old boat? She'll need major maintenance and upgrade; $$$$$. I would not recommend it. If I was in the market, I would find a boat under 10 years old. Good luck!

Mauritz
Old 30-12-2013, 17:54   #3

Thank you Mauritz,

I'll keep tat in mind. I'll keep looking for something worthwhile. The reason for wanting to buy is because I like the extra space and my budget ain't that big. It is also close to my location. USVI.
ubergravity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2013, 19:28   #4

Boat: csy 37
Depending on what kind of sailing you are considering it could be an excellent choice. There's one based near me that regularly does the east coast u.s.a. and bahamas. Oday built a good boat although at that age you will need to have a knowledgeable person do a good inspection of it to give you an idea of its general condition and what might need to be fixed or replaced.

The two main areas to examine are engine/drive train and standing rigging/chainplates. These would be the costliest fixes to do. For me serious engine/drive problems would probably kill the deal, but if you're already an experienced mechanic (as a friend of mine was) you might buy it anyway at a much reduced price. Rigging problems wouldn't bother me because I've done rigging.

There are other things to look for like leaky ports, spongy decks, substandard throughhulls (Oday boats often have these), separating hull/deck joints..... but I think you get my drift. Have a knowledgeable person, or two or three, give it a good look.

As for being old, don't let that fact alone keep you from looking. My boat was 24 years old when I bought her (now 34 years old) and could not be bought new today for five times what I paid for her. And I have not put a lot of money in her; labor? Yes, lot's of labor. But even a brand new boat will require a lot of labor, unless you can afford, or even want to, hire help.

I've also noticed that newer used boats, say up to 15 years old, are priced at too small of a discount from their brand new counterparts, making older used boats, especially higher quality ones, an even better buy.

The oday 37, for instance, has a skeg hung rudder. Many newer boats have their rudders hanging out in the water just waiting to be bent and damaged. I will check on that oday 37 near me and let you know what the owner has to say....
onestepcsy37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2013, 19:35   #5
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Seaton 60' Ketch

We used to sail the O'Days from Annapolis to St Croix every fall for their school in the USVI's.
They are solid boats but as noted may need substantial upgrades. They can and have done open water passages...
Scott Berg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2013, 19:42   #6

Boat: Key West 2020 CC

Quote:
Originally Posted by ubergravity View Post

...o'day 37 '79.

Any comments would be really appreciated.
uber, friends don't let friends sail O'Days.
Old 01-01-2014, 18:11   #7

Boat: Island Packet 380 - Delta Blues

I’ve owned two O’Days, including a 1978 37, which was a fine boat. Also sailed for many years with the O’Day owners association and was familiar with many of the models. They are a well-built production cruiser. The 37 was a fast, comfortable vessel. O’Day changed hands a few times in the 1970s and 1980s and production did suffer, but not with the 37. One concern I would have is to make sure the deck is sealed tight. The glassing process used in those days didn’t do well with age unless the boat was well maintained. Make sure the deck is checked by an expert.

https://sailingdeltablues.com/
dennisjay is offline   Reply With Quote