Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-07-2023, 18:43   #1

Oday23 rigging boom/main without traveler

Hello
I have obtained an older oday23 sailboat.
In setting up the sails and sheets I noticed I have to traveler. What I do have is a block with two pillows side by side on the end of the boom. I have a pulley/block on port and starboard, and I have a place to tie off/cleat on both sides as well.

So far I have tried pretty much every way I could rig it with one rope.
No success.
Now I’m thinking to use two ropes and set up one on each side using one pulley on the boom s as no one on the side and tie off.
Not sure how this will work before I go and cut my last halyard in half.
I have looked at all the diagrams I can find about this(Oday manual and elsewhere) and so far nothing has lit the bulb over my head.

Does anyone have the answer as to how it should be rigged without a traveler, why, and how to use it?

I would be thankful

Looking forward to taking her out sailing once I clear this up.

Thank you in advance,
Timothy
timothytrespas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2023, 19:12   #2
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Oday23 rigging boom/main without traveler

From what I can see you have two options..
1/ rig the mainsheet to a block centrally from boom to stern or have a double swivel block on the boom and run the line down to a single block on the stbd side, back up to the boom and then down to a single block on the port side with a cleat ing point, or a snatch/jamming block.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	picoday23105b.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	16.5 KB
ID:	278148   Click image for larger version

Name:	image7177.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	56.6 KB
ID:	278149  

You can't beat a people up for 75 years and have them say.. "I Love You.. ".
"It is better to die standing proud, than to live a lifetime on ones knees.."

The Politician Never Bites the Hand that Feeds him the 30 piece's of Silver..
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2023, 10:19   #3

Re: Oday23 rigging boom/main without traveler

Thank you
I have a double pulley block on boom and a single pulley block on port and starboard
My main halyard comes down mast and is guided to cockpit by pulleys and is tied at the bitter end.
I would need to replace the halyard or splice it to be longer
Why wouldn’t one use its own rope for this non traveler?

My question is do I use to lines, one for each side ?
When I cleat it to the boom and run from boom block to side block back to boom and to other side and cleat it when I pull it it only pulls down(which is ok) except it does not do much to keep the boom from moving side to side.
I always thought tge traveler is to control downward pull on boom for sail shape AND as a preventer to keep the boom from swinging until a proper gybe (spelling) can be made.
Is the boom disposed to swing wildly with the wind?

Is there any better way of explaining this like
“ first, attach the line to blank then run it through blank blan and next back to blank

Please explain it like I am a child.

I keep setting it up to see how it works and each variation seems just wrong.
It’s something I must figure out.
Thank you in advance for assistance
I’m learning still
timothytrespas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2023, 13:32   #4

Well, Timothy - since you asked for it. But please don't think I'm talking down to you :-)

Your little boat is a wonderful little boat to learn on. The key is to keep everything absolutely simple and not let the old hands confuse you if they turn all "technical" and "scientific" on you. What I'm describing below is just one way of doing it. There are many others, but this will get you going in the simplest and cheapest way possible.

Maybe, as we go, we can "conform" your terminology a little to set you up for a more thoroughgoing treatise later. :-)

Consider the objective(s):

1) You must be able to keep your boom end from lifting. Dismiss arguments about shaping the sail. At this point you are only interested in something that will preclude the boom-end lifting during a gybe [your spelling is correct :-)]. You see in boatman's pic that there is something going from the heel of the mast to some distance out the boom. That is good. Let's call it a "kicking strap". That is exactly what you need to prevent your boom end from lifting. Don't start calling it a "vang". A vang serves a different purpose.

You don't need a traveler at this point in your evolution because you are only engaged in learning what I call "coarse sailing". We'll put the polish on things later. So forget about travelers for now.

2) The device that controls the boom's swing from side to side is the sheet. A sheet can be rigged in many ways. The simplest way for you to do it is to fit a pad-eye to the starboard cockpit coaming just forward of the transom. From there you run a line through a single block on the boom end. This block is hung on a "tang". A tang is a flat strip of metal that embraces the boom and is fastened to it in such a way that the screws or rivets that hold it are "in sheer". From this block you run the line down to a single block on the port cockpit coaming just forward of the transom. This block is held by a pad-eye fastened to the coaming. From there the line is taken to a single block hung on a tang on the boom eight or ten inches forward of the end, and from there to a single block, also hung on a tang, at some convenient distance forward of that. From this block, the "fall" of the sheet drops into the cockpit where you can handle it.

On a tiny boat like yours, the mechanical advantage conferred by this rigging is quite sufficient.

You may want to fit a horn cleat on the aft side of your bridge deck where you can belay the fall of the sheet so you don't have to hold it in your hand the entire time. If you do that, then place the forward block on the boom a few inches aft of the aft side of the bridge deck.

There you go - you are now ready to go "coarse sailing" When you have become comfortable with that, we can begin to put the polish on your technique :-)!

All the best

TrentePieds
TrentePieds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2023, 14:26   #5

Boat: Sabre 402

Picture would help. Some boats have their main sheet run from an eye on the end of the boom down to a block on the aft deck to starboard, over to another block on the aft deck to port, then up to a block the end of the boom, then forward to a block at about the middle of the boom, and down to a swiveling block & cam cleat where the helms person can trim it. Does this sound like it might fit your situation?
psk125 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Main sheet, no traveler, Oday 23, rigging