Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-01-2013, 07:28   #46

Boat: Newport 28 II
Re: Off Shore Boat Price Consideration

Wow dude,you know nothing about real estate,Here in the bay area houses have been selling for one third of asking for the last 4 years. I guess boats have been bucking the trend.
tommyh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2013, 07:47   #47
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Camper Nicholson 44 Ketch

And you will NEVER find it. There is no perfect boat.

Chris

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommyh View Post
I realize now that im wasting my time with all this reading and writing and need to get back on the road looking for that perfect boat.
witzgall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2013, 08:21   #48

Boat: Beneteau FIRST 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by witzgall View Post
And you will NEVER find it. There is no perfect boat.

Chris
and you'll never get those days back you spent looking..once they're gone, they're gone..

knowing what I know now, and having shaired the last 10 years aboard with my wife, and exploring new places, I would have paid double the asking price of the boat we now own..

You not only need to put a value on the boat, but your life aboard as well.
Randyonr3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2013, 11:55   #49

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"

As I've said before for those that love sailing and cruising buying a boat is more an emotional experience rather than a dollars and cents decision. I bought my latest boat in the US when the Canadian dollar was trading at 76 cents US. The Canadian dollar is now at par or better. But it's eight years later, it's eight years I've had cruising in my new boat. I'm eight years older now, if I'd waited for the Cdn dollar to rise (or the US dollar to fall) I'd have gotten a better deal but it would have been eight years without the new boat. I realize I'll never get my money out of this boat but eight years cruising in a well fitted out boat must be worth something.

You can wait forever for the best deal of your life but you might be dead the day after you close the deal. Time cannot be bought.
Old 29-01-2013, 15:22   #50

Boat: Balboa 27

I haven't tried this technique out with boats (yet), but it worked great the last time I bought a house:

I submitted TWO written offers on the same house on the same day. Offer #1 was app. 25% off the asking price, but in as-is condition. Offer #2 was for the full asking price but with a 2 page list of all the defects (both large and picayune) that needed to be fixed prior to closing. The seller accepted the 25% lower price the next day, with no haggling.
susswein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2013, 15:26   #51

Boat: Newport 28 II
I did try that,he got offended.
tommyh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2013, 15:29   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by susswein View Post
I haven't tried this technique out with boats (yet), but it worked great the last time I bought a house:

I submitted TWO written offers on the same house on the same day. Offer #1 was app. 25% off the asking price, but in as-is condition. Offer #2 was for the full asking price but with a 2 page list of all the defects (both large and picayune) that needed to be fixed prior to closing. The seller accepted the 25% lower price the next day, with no haggling.

Well there's a problem. To get a survey and sea trial (to find your 2 page list of defects) you need an offer accepted. Of course you can offer full price subject to survey but what if the survey finds only minimal defects.
Old 29-01-2013, 15:33   #53

Quote:
I did try that,he got offended.
You made an offer at full price? Thought you only offered half to a third of asking.
Old 29-01-2013, 15:48   #54

Boat: Islander Bahama 24'
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
In a nutshell....forget nada. find comparables, how long on the market, last lowest price listed, subtract about 30% and start there. 40-50% for a little known boat in poor condition, 20% for a well known boat in decent condition....
Buying a boat is also "selling". You need to sell your position to the broker or seller. convince them your offer is fair with facts, similar boats, work needing done, location... etc...
Some sellers are too new to market conditions to be realistic. time will convince thm , but you cant.
*nod*
Old 29-01-2013, 17:36   #55

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

Quote:
I have been in the market for a year now trying to find a suitable boat for me,the advice iv recieved is offer half to a third of asking price,iv done both and have gotten no ware.
I am stumped as to putting a value on a boat. I can only put it this way,their are boats that are for sale and boats that are just on display. I have not yet met a seller that has the same idea of value than I have.
Keep lowering your price until the seller punches you in the nose. That is an indicator you need to double that price. try it...it works!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasco View Post
Don't know where you got the advice from but obviously it was not good advice. If you have been looking for a year and haven't bought yet, your idea of value is much different from the market. Perhaps we might understand your predicament better if you gave us an example, say your last offer and the boat that you made the offer on.

I don't know the age of boats you're looking at but just check the price of a new boat and you might get a better understanding of what boats cost. There is little wiggle room on new boat prices.
So true...Better still hire a broker. It doesn't cost the buyer anything to my understanding.

Quote:
I offered 15,000 hopeing a counter would be just under 20,000. By the way tire kickers doNT walk around with cash.
Let me guess...he knew you had cash from the $100 bills popping out of your pockets.

Quote:
Wow dude,you know nothing about real estate,Here in the bay area houses have been selling for one third of asking for the last 4 years. I guess boats have been bucking the trend.
I live and work in the bay area. The only ones that are selling for 1/3 are the unhabitable ones up against the freeway. A 2 bdrm 2 bath in Alameda is going for $650,000 asking and getting offers for more. I can imagine SF is pricier.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2013, 18:01   #56

Boat: Roberts 434 pilothouse

Is there not a word for those who prey on the misfortunes of others?
Iskoteo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2013, 18:26   #57
Marine Service Provider

Boat: command yachtsdouglas32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iskoteo View Post
Lots ,Pawn Broker,Attorney,Funeral home person,used car salesman,and the worst one of all, Aircraft brokers!...
tropicalescape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2013, 19:07   #58

Boat: AHD windsurfer :p

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iskoteo View Post
After the market has gone down that equates to ALL buyers, the misfortune being that someone bought something at a greater value than the market now percieves or can afford.

There's some odd thinking in this thread, if anything is forcing someone to sell their boat then that is outside the buyers ability to fix unless they just feel like giving that person a get out of jail card and take a loss when they go to sell...

For someone to fire sale at 40% means that they tried selling it at what they thought was 100% and no-one wanted it, a market correction then occurs until it sells in the time frame required.
Old 29-01-2013, 21:07   #59

Boat: Caliber 40 LRC
Long time lurker finally joins

To tommyh,, I live in the S.F. Bay Area and I know real estate. Other than bank owned p.o.s houses, nothing is selling for 1/3 the asking price, same for boats. Between the " Dude" and the snide " some rich guy" comments on this post I think I've got a pretty good idea what kind of boat buyer you are, the kind I'd tell to take a hike, which I'm sure in the year you've been looking you've heard before.
Red Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2013, 21:45   #60

Boat: Roberts 434 pilothouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparau View Post
After the market has gone down that equates to ALL buyers, the misfortune being that someone bought something at a greater value than the market now percieves or can afford.

There's some odd thinking in this thread, if anything is forcing someone to sell their boat then that is outside the buyers ability to fix unless they just feel like giving that person a get out of jail card and take a loss when they go to sell...

For someone to fire sale at 40% means that they tried selling it at what they thought was 100% and no-one wanted it, a market correction then occurs until it sells in the time frame required.

I think a lot of sellers are letting go a boat load of memories/dreams and so it's tough to begin with. I don't believe a seller should have to deal with someone who tries to guilt them any way they can into giving them something for nothing. Simply show the seller some comps. In this world most often "you get what you pay for"
Iskoteo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
price