Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-03-2012, 09:02   #1

Offshore in a 33' Motorsailor?

Found this 33 footer here on the west coast of B.C., Canada, and thought it looked like the ideal economical summer gunkholer.

The big question is, what if wanderlust set in and I wanted to sail her down the west coast to Mexico or across the Pacific? All things being equal, would a boat like this be risky or at the least incredibly uncomfortable to sail offshore?
I have little information on the weight, ballast or sail area yet. I'm really just looking for member's opinions or first impressions (I have zero experience with motorsailers).

I do have my reasons for looking at such a compromise between a pure sailboat and motorboat. Just trying to get an idea of the kind of limitations this boat would put on my voyage aspirations.

Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN2500.jpg
Views:	747
Size:	433.8 KB
ID:	38185   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN2504.jpg
Views:	585
Size:	415.4 KB
ID:	38186  

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN2509.jpg
Views:	596
Size:	425.7 KB
ID:	38187   Click image for larger version

Name:	Skye Song7.jpg
Views:	359
Size:	24.5 KB
ID:	38188  

coastdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 09:15   #2

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401
Re: Offshore in a 33' Motorsailor?

Looks more than capable to me!! Limiting factors will be fuel tankage and ballast. IE with enough ballast it should be stable.
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 09:38   #3

Boat: 28Ft Piver Encore, Tri-Maran, Anchored in San Diego.
Send a message via Skype™ to Nemo55

That sure looks like a nice boat,,,compared with mine a Cal28 which is a blue water boat,,that one looks totally capable

https://nemo1955.blogspot.ca/
Nemo55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 10:04   #4

Boat: Westsail 28

I have been on my friends Fisher 30' M/S. It rolls bad in just a mild swell with little wind. In the aft outside cockpit there is little room . In the wheel house there is just a little bit more room. In the saloon there is good room. In my opinion (and please people this just my opinion) these boat are grate for way up north. Down south I prefer a full blown sail boat. (pun intended) Hey coastdog think about this, why don't you come on
down here to sunny SoCal. Buy a real sail boat. There are so many for sale you won't believe it. 35-45 for cheap. You could buy it this summer. It could be your summer house. Then outfit to your taste. And do this years Baja HaHa.
markwesti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 11:26   #5

Now, there is one heck of an idea, markwesti. My personal preference would be a real sailboat - and I'd STAY south where it's warm! Alas, I have to consider the wishes of my crew. Ironic that in choosing the wrong boat, I could wind up sailing alone. Which would make it the "right" boat. Except then I couldn't afford to sail at all ...
Old 02-03-2012, 11:31   #6
Armchair Bucketeer

Judging by the height of the spreaders (pic bottom left) she looks seriously undercanvassed - if that is the case, it means your passages will always be under motor, even if getting a bit of a boost from the sails.....or slow. very slow!.....of course perfectly good for sailing accross the bay, if not in a hurry, and it blowing a bit - and you are prepared to motor back. and weren't intending to reach anywhere specific - just where the wind leads ya.

Nothing wrong with all that of course - but something to factor in both $$$ and tankage wise.
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 11:43   #7

Looks like a great NW Boat for sure! For warmer climes you are going to have to be inside though right? That's not bad for night crossings, but sometimes being outside is very nice. Looks like it leans toward being a trawler more than a sailor. As a "tool" to get you from point A to point B probably great. As a sailboat, probably not. Then again , I probably motorsailed 50% of the time cruising! Put a big Genny on her and she'll move downwind or broad reaching!

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 11:51   #8

Boat: 34' Crowther tri sold 16' Kayak now

I've never seen a 33' trawler capable of a "crossing" The tanks are just too small. The sails will help control rolling underway but not much else.
Old 02-03-2012, 11:54   #9

Boat: M/V Carquinez Coot

Seeing a similar boat in 2009 in Alaska convinced me to get a similar-sized recreational trawler.

I wouldn't classify "your" trawler as a motorsailer. Even if it had fore-and-aft sails, it would be 95% motorboat.

My trawler is a "sail assisted" motorboat (suitable for coastal cruising and gunkholing.) Depending on wind conditions, the sails add stability and a bit more range.

markpierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 11:57   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand crab View Post
I've never seen a 33' trawler capable of a "crossing" The tanks are just too small. The sails will help control rolling underway but not much else.
All about the tankage I guess. 150 gal at 1.5 gal per hours = 100 hours . at 7 knots that's 700 miles + and wind driven efficiencies... Not going to cross the pacific, but equal to many sailboats...

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 11:58   #11

Need to keep in mind there are perfectionists here, with a little salt added to opinions, it would probably take you anywhere you are brave enough to go.

I'd take it and if anything was lacking it can be modified or changed to fit your needs.
Wavewacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 11:59   #12

Boat: Shamrock 246 Open

The sail was probably intended to improve fuel efficiency in certain wind directions and to reduce rolling. I would say it wasn't intended for a primary source of propulsion.
scubasteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 12:05   #13

Boat: Cabo Rico Norteast 400, 40', 'Briez'
Coastdog,

Going offshore in a 33' motor sailer is not the issue, there are many out there that are eminently capable. However I agree with David Old Jersey that this one looks seriously under-canvassed. I would suggest you judge this one on the basis of being a displacement motor boat with steadying sails. If you want something about that size and style, consider a Fisher 34 - which by all accounts was (is) one of the best-sailing Fishers.
Arcady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 12:23   #14

Boat: M/V Carquinez Coot

Tankage on such boats variesgreatly. If carrying 600 to 1000 gallons, the boat would probably be capable of ocean crossings. With 312 gallons, my boat has a 1200 to 1500 mile range, adequate for almost all but ocean crossings. People have carried extra fuel in containers carried on deck to extend their boats' range. I wouldn't.
markpierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 16:29   #15

I appreciate the experienced opinions given on this thread. While she might be a good one for putting around the coastal inlets here, I don't think I'd want to sail too far from home. I'm going to keep planning. It would help to know where I was going to go....

Tags
offshore, motorsailer