Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Today, 15:26   #1

Boat: Looking
Okay, this is getting dumb

So I am close to moving out of my parents house (I am going to community college and working at McDonalds) and I was looking at prices of houses in my hometown in SoCal, small town, about 15,000 people, and the cheapest 2 bedroom 1 bath house to buy is $88,000. Now, the average Passport 40 is $80-$100k, for an extra $10k, I could have one of the best seagoing houses available, and since I am pretty mechanically inclined, most of the repairs I could do myself. The only problem that I could foresee is work, but since I am going to school for Mechanical Engineering and there is an aerospace company in the town over that most of their engineers work from home. I also know many of their engineers so I might be able to get a few good references. How does living on a boat make so much sense here or am I missing something huge?
Cool Runnings,
Toast
Toast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 15:31   #2

Boat: Woods Mira 35 Catamaran
Re: Okay, this is getting dumb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toast View Post
So I am close to moving out of my parents house (I am going to community college and working at McDonalds) and I was looking at prices of houses in my hometown in SoCal, small town, about 15,000 people, and the cheapest 2 bedroom 1 bath house to buy is $88,000. Now, the average Passport 40 is $80-$100k, for an extra $10k, I could have one of the best seagoing houses available, and since I am pretty mechanically inclined, most of the repairs I could do myself. The only problem that I could foresee is work, but since I am going to school for Mechanical Engineering and there is an aerospace company in the town over that most of their engineers work from home. I also know many of their engineers so I might be able to get a few good references. How does living on a boat make so much sense here or am I missing something huge?
Cool Runnings,
Toast

Unfortunately, marina costs and place availability, as it sounds like.
Franziska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 15:33   #3

Sure, I have considered those, but you also have the equivalent problem in a house with bills and gas for your car, and insurance for both those things (I know you also need insurance for your boat).
Toast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 16:03   #4

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Toast, see if there are any liveaboard berths for a Passport 40 and yourself in your area. If your boat's not easily accessible for the days you have to be at the workplace, you'll wind up wanting to have some form of transport, might be a motor scooter, but you'll want SOMEthing, and there'll be storage issues for it, also. You'll need to run the numbers on costs to tell if it is more cost effective to try the boat; usually it works out living on land is preferred. Remember to include Calif.'s tax on boats: they are taxed as real estate, and it's a biggish percentage, that is commonly considered a tax on people wealthy enough to have a yacht and a house, there are no tax breaks about it. The law allows CA to tax you until the vessel is registered in another State, and you have to document for CA that it is registered.

As to the equivalent of home upkeep, failure to do upkeep on the boat can lead to sinking, so it has to be done. Deferring it is more risky.

One of the moderators here is Trente Pieds, who is also an accountant. He has often written about the costs of boat ownership. Try a CF Custom Google Search with his screen name and boat ownership costs, and consider what you have read.

Ann
Old Today, 16:09   #5

The days that they need you at the job, they will fly you out and put you in a hotel, I plan to leave California soon, so I'll have to look into the taxes on boat purchases in other states.
Old Today, 16:18   #6
CLOD

Boat: none

Quote:
So I am close to moving out of my parents house (I am going to community college and working at McDonalds) and I was looking at prices of houses in my hometown in SoCal, small town, about 15,000 people, and the cheapest 2 bedroom 1 bath house to buy is $88,000.
Wow a 2BR house in SoCal for $88k

You should buy that!
Old Today, 16:22   #7

Ha, no, I like my house to built out of wood, not sawdust and plastic.
(edit: looked at the sq footage and its 800 lol)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ezgif-4-2b438fefab.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	273.3 KB
ID:	294214  
Old Today, 16:59   #8

Boat: Catalina 320

Boats in California are subject to annual "unsecured" property tax to the county in which they are located at the same rate as "secured" property (real estate). A little under 1 percent, a boat assessed at about $65,000 is taxed $615.
Calif.Ted is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 17:41   #9

Boat: Donelle 35 Cruiser

Quote:
Ha, no, I like my house to built out of wood, not sawdust and plastic.
(edit: looked at the sq footage and its 800 lol)

Looks more like a double wide trailer than a house. And by the looks you are in a trailer park. I would not call that a house by any stretch...