Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-12-2018, 07:39   #61
cruiser

Boat: Retired from CF
Re: older really strong boat or newer not-so-strong

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomm225 View Post
The thing is if you buy a new or newer boat you don't learn anything about maintaining the boat which is fine if you plan to pay others to do it.
Opportunities for DIY maintenance will always arise no matter what.

With the OP budget, getting a boat ready at signing to immediately get out there and sail should be the goal.

That does not correlate with buying a "newer" boat (under a decade) or an older one.
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2018, 08:36   #62

Boat: Bristol 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by john61ct View Post
Opportunities for DIY maintenance will always arise no matter what.
It's best to know your boat before the DIY Maintenance arises though.

The OP has already pretty much described what he likes which leans toward an older boat...not too beamy, rudder on a skeg, etc

With new or newer boats it's usually just about learning to sail it well since everything is usually all ready to go

With my new boats, the primary goal was to make them go fast but I was a racer at that time

For cruising, knowing your boat and it's systems well to me is a good goal.

Even on my old power boats, knowing the engine was quite important since we didn't have cell phones or radios on the boats back then

When you buy your very first boat, I think you will begin to understand a bit better
thomm225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2018, 09:10   #63

Several replies here have argued for an older boat that`s been well maintained. We agree! Would also add that purchasing a boat that has been cruised already, and cared for well, will save you thousands and give you a huge advantage when you'r looking for that needed part inthe middle of nowhere and it's there in your locker.

We are selling our Tashiba 40, take a look at our classified in CF, or send PM. Good luck!
Baidarka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2018, 12:14   #64

Boat: Mercer 44 sloop 44'

Take a look at a Mercer 44, a Bill Trip design, built from 1960-1962. Super strong and a comfortable cruiser.
2sailors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2018, 16:17   #65

Look at old Hudson or Island Packet yachts. Built like bulldozers.
OhPopEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2018, 15:14   #66

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qayaq View Post
To me if I was buying an older boat and didn't want to end up with a massive refit on my hands I would want to know that the following items are in good condition, IE they have been removed, inspected and hopefully documented in the vessels recent past. Keel bolts, Rudder and stock, chain plates and and mounting points, mast not corroded, thru hulls replaced, engine newer than original, osmosis succesfully treated. Tanks in good condition.

Older boats can be great but they can also be a significant drain on finances and your time.

Nearly finished the refit on my Valiant 32 now..... ho hum.

Me too ,just done mostly of the upgrades including a new motor Beta 35 horse with V drive.Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0852.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	349.4 KB
ID:	182709
Pieter Lanser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2018, 15:38   #67

Boat: 37 Uniflite Coastal Cruiser

Older boats versus newer boats, and older designs versus newer designs are discussions and debates which could go on forever. One important take home message, however, is that buying an older boat which needs work because that is as far as your budget will stretch is probably ill-advised. If you don't have the money to buy a boat in good condition, it is doubtful that you have the money to bring it to good condition for a bluewater crossing. Inexperienced boat owners need to have that one tattooed on the inside of their arm.
Dooglas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2018, 10:10   #68

Boat: 2002 Hunter 450/ 1987 Dehler 25

Then again check out which of those boats have been dismasted and/or DNF in this recent Golden Globe, mostly all full keel, a slow boat is at the mercy of the elements even if you have the benefit of advance warning, it still can't get away from the threat it can only try to ride it out. Personally I opt for the well built fast cruiser that will move out of harms way or have me safely in port before the storms arrival. Modern production boats have a great safety record. How often do you hear of a Hunter, Catalina, Beneteau, Jenneau or IP foundered due to a failure of the vessel? Would I take a production FRP boat into the high latitudes? Hell no that is the world of steel only, then again my love to be cold keeps me far away anyhow.
Dehler 25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2018, 12:27   #69

Boat: Olson 40

As with collectable cars, the most financially sound approach is to buy a boat that has just gone through a complete, high quality refit. Many, many people do this: buy a boat, pour a TON of money in, go sailing, and very quickly decide that seasickness is the worst thing in the world, and they sell.

However, its very hard to tell if the refit and all this gear bought because it was pretty in a magazine is actually necessary, appropriate, reliable, and repairable.

And worse, often the refit was done by someone with money and dreams but not enough experience, and then the boat sorta abandoned. If a boat is afloat, its in very high humidity. This means everything deteriorates very quickly. As we all know well.

So very often (in 100% of the boats I examined) all that stuff needs to be replaced again. Removed first of course, holes filled, new wiring and plumbing ...

Eventually, we picked up a boat (Olson 40) I lusted after for thirty five years, stripped it completely, put in all new stuff. Only the glass and balsa core (which is amazing if built correctly), aluminum spars, toe rail track, some six year old rod rigging, solid vang, and stern pulpit remained. Each item is brand new, what I want, installed how I want it, and is easy to inspect, repair, or replace. Bulb keel, high aspect rudder, strengthened keel floors, all core rot repaired, painted inside and out, new glass, Harken self tailers, carbon sails, sprit, code zero, A3, induction cooker, electric motor, LiFePO4, faucets by artists, all new mattresses and soft goods, led lighting, wireless instruments, fresh water flush electric head, etc etc. its taken two years, nearly done.

The cost was about double our optimistic budget, but less than a new 32 footer. Less interior than a new 32 footer too! But Olson 40s are fun boats, and darn few boats are actually fun to sail. Most are dull pigs. If its not enjoyable to your soul, don't do it. Life is too short.

If I got hit by lightning so the boat was sold, it would sell for half what I spent. But I still have not seen a better financial deal (boat I would rather have for the money), or a boat I would rather own.

Watch for SvenG’s Erickson 39 to be on the market: watch Grenander.com

They made their boat perfect, down to the last item that was giving problems — put in a brand new Beta — and then they bought a trawler!
u4ea32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2018, 12:57   #70

Boat: Presently between vessels

Don't stay in a yard or marina fixing up an old boat for years if what you want is to go sailing.
There are lots of good marinas and yards in wonderful places.
My friends agree that cruising is working on your boat in exotic places.
There are plenty of good values in boats listed for sail.
I bought a boat that needed work. I worked hard for two months to make it safe then took off. We've been fixing it up and replacing old stuff as we go. More than 6000-nm so far and we still have stuff to do. We would have missed a lot if we had fixed it all before we took off, besides it was in an overcrowded expensive city and we didn't enjoy being there.
I know a lot of people that obtained great boats at great prices. You can be one too.
RobPatterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2018, 19:35   #71

Boat: Cheoy Lee 47 CC

Old boat, new boat? All depends on how much money you have.
If I had my druthers I'd own a Hylas 49 built to my specs, or even better an Offshore center cockpit model. Both very capable and well built boats for the price. But unfortunately way out of my price range.
All the boats I've owned have been auction or insurance boats, bought right (money wise, I'm no dreamer or fool) and put into seaworthy condition. Through this experience I've learned what I do and don't want in a boat, I've also gained skills I never knew I needed. Mainly through having to fix and repair what I bought.
My curent bot is the only boat that wasn't an insurance or auction boat, but did need a lot of attention, and was bought right for that reason. Buying new or complete is great, but what happens when your in a remote place and don't know how to repair your boats need?
On this boat I rebuilt the engine, replaced the wiring, re-plumbed, installed and set up the new electronics suite, removed the teak decks and glassed the decks, removed and inspected all the deck hardware and went through the rig.
If you truly want to cruise to those far away places I suggest you get to know your boat intimately and know how to do your own repairs, there are some places you just can't call someone to come and do it for ou.
So, my vote? Get a moderately older boat of good pedigree, that need a moderate amount of work and get to know the boat well through your upgrades, that way you won't put yourself in position you can't get out of.
It will give you an added sense of accomplishment and confidence to go freely where you want to.
Of course, if someone wanted to give me a brand new Offshore Center Cockpit I wouldn't be too proud to refuse.I'm not that proud.
PS: I know this boat inside and out, I can do repairs and troubleshooting while underway because I did all the work. I don't get stressed when something goes sideways, which will happen eventually an any boat, no matter how new or old.
lifeofreilly57 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat