Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-09-2023, 23:47   #1

Boat: Islander Bahama 30
Older version Trident gas sensor tripping

Hi,
I have an older version (“landscape shaped”) Trident gas alarm. It’s been tripping after being turned after about 20 seconds. I thought it was the sensor, so I removed it from the system and tried to wire the solenoid directly across the switch and bypassing the other electronics. The switch still flips after about 15 or 20 seconds. I would imagine that this can only mean thst either the switch or the solenoid is toast, right? Thanks!
zachduckworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2023, 01:20   #2

Re: Older version Trident gas sensor tripping

https://andrewandjazz.com/2018/09/09...the-gas-panel/

Humorous blog post by a guy. After messing with the same model for a few hours I concur that it was/is a trash product. I wonder, is there a better option than Trident out there? Maybe make my own? I wonder…

But I’m concerned it’s the solenoid itself that’s shot. I mean, it must be either or the switch at this point. But Trident doesn’t supply a single part for this older style system. I was not expecting to have to replace my entire LPG system this week to be able to make coffee aboard my boat. Ugh.
Old 13-09-2023, 01:47   #3

Boat: Mascot 28 pilothouse motorsailer 28ft

Use the 10amp scale on your multimeter(in series with one solenoid lead) to check solenoid current draw.
My solenoid had to be replaced recently because it was overcurrent popping the breaker and getting very hot.
Cheers/Len
Old 13-09-2023, 02:33   #4

Your Trident uses a TGS 813 sensor which often needs replacement.

https://www.ebay.ca/p/1108019935

https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums...ms-183078.html
Old 13-09-2023, 10:32   #5

My sensor is a white box with a black screen in front and a resent button on the bottom that gets hot when I push it.
Last night I unwired the entire mechanism from the electrical system. I’d be perfectly fine with just running the solenoid without a sensor but that doesn’t work. Even without the gas sensor the switch flips in about ten seconds or so.

Here’s a follow up question. The solenoid has two black wires and neither is marked pos or neg. The ancient instructions for the Trident (as far as they can be called instructions…) says that one wire of their solenoid should go to ground. But it is not grounded on anything as installed; both wires from the solenoid are butt-spliced to a rd/black wire that is in turn spliced into the negative power coming from the neg bus bar, along with the negative from the sensor. I can’t figure it out. Either way though the solenoid should operate in isolation from the other equipment but doesn’t. And finding the specific solenoid used seems like it would be tricky. I have a replacement solenoid already but it's a different model and the threads don’t match the gas hose to the stove. So, I suppose I could either buy a brass adapter to make the new solenoid work, then wire it directly into the on/off switch. Or I could do that and replace the hose. Which is tempting as the hose is probably 13 years old…
Old 13-09-2023, 15:31   #6

Perhaps your Trident isn't as old as the detectors that used TGS 813 sensor.
I notice the current LPG alarms (many,many brands) seem to be using an MQxx (Arduino) sensor.I have no personal experience with MQ series.
https://www.ebay.ca/sch/i.html?_from...ector&_sacat=0

A "solenoid" or relay has a simple coil that will operate regardless of which of 2 coil wires is + or -. They don't care about polarity. However,it is possible that in a non-marine use,such as an RV,car,truck,etc.-the vehicle mfgr decided to use "chassis ground"-in which case one coil wire would be connected to vehicle chassis.

https://www.amazon.com/marine-propan...opane+solenoid
Old 13-09-2023, 15:39   #7

Boat: Columbia 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by zachduckworth View Post
[url]https://andrewandjazz.com/2018/09/09/replacing-the-gas-panel/[/url

I wonder, is there a better option than Trident out there? Maybe make my own? I wonder…
I've used Xintex FireBoy alarm/control units on my last three boats and have had very good results. I chose them because it's a local company here in Grand Rapids but they've served very well.
capt jgw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2023, 16:32   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by capt jgw View Post
I've used Xintex FireBoy alarm/control units on my last three boats and have had very good results. I chose them because it's a local company here in Grand Rapids but they've served very well.
Their product is tempting. It’s easier to install and the instructions are more clear. I will look at it more seriously tonight.
Old 14-09-2023, 17:06   #9

Since the solenoid costs about $140.00, conduct a test before installing a new one. Disconnect its wires from whatever it is connected, use 12AGW wires + and -ve directly from the battery and see if it will work. Place a 5 amp fuse in the circuit to be safe incase the coil is shorted.
I used a relay to power the solenoid as I was not sure that Trident could provide the required current.
Old 14-09-2023, 22:47   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthBaySailor View Post
Since the solenoid costs about $140.00, conduct a test before installing a new one. Disconnect its wires from whatever it is connected, use 12AGW wires + and -ve directly from the battery and see if it will work. Place a 5 amp fuse in the circuit to be safe incase the coil is shorted.
I used a relay to power the solenoid as I was not sure that Trident could provide the required current.
Thanks for the advice but I ended up canking the whole thing. I completely pulled it, wires and all. For the next few months I’ll use jet boils and one of those butane mini stoves and store the fuel where the propane was at when it’s not in use. They’re easy to monitor because they’re always being set up and taken down. I want to see how that goes for a bit. The Xintec looks a lot more simple to install that Trident. I’m trying to save for a house while balancing a few big projects (re-rigging a 30’ boat plus replacing stinky head hoses), and I don’t bake many cakes underway so the stove is really a sideshow.
Old 15-09-2023, 08:39   #11

Boat: Norseman 447

$140 for a propane solenoid? I decided to change my propane system after a leaking regulator dumped a full 20# tank because the solenoid was on the low-pressure side of the leaking regulator. I found several high-pressure propane solenoids that were all in the $40 range. The new solenoid also outlasted the regulator that I installed at the same time.
Bycrick is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sensor