Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-05-2009, 12:16   #31

Boat: Tartan 37 "Velera"
One more contrast between the old boats and the new are also the lay outs. The new boats tend to be giant caverns arranged to attract the awe of the ladies by imitating your living room. If you are really going to sea and going somewhere for some time, you are going to look at storage and handholds and comfort while underway not giant curving couches and flat screen TVs (and cut flower centerpieces and glass wine glasses!).

The modern boat design has migrated to reality: the ocean passages and cruising for years are elusive for most boats' futures. Weekend or week long camping is mostly what they will see. Many of the vernable old boats were actually designed for seagoing--which, for most, will be a waste.
Castine, Maine
Pete the Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2009, 13:50   #32

Boat: ISLANDER 41 DAWN TREADER
Since I''m leaving in a few hours for four days sailing with the wife and kids, and I can't keep my mind on work, I'll jump in here. Did I mention it's sunny and the wind is blowing?
I agree that quality is quality whether in a new boat or an old boat. I have the capability to work on boats and I enjoy it. I don't have the capability to buy a new boat of a similar size and design. So there really was no option for me on what direction to go picking a boat.
I also agree that many modern production boats have 'attributes' that I find make me uneasy. Decks that ominously flex and creak when I stand on them, and I'm fairly skinny. Fish bowl cabins with no hand holds. I was on a boat recently that had 7 steps from the cockpit to the saloon floor. On a rough passage you could die trying to get to your bunk. This seems crazy to me but I suppose you get used to it.
On the other hand a modern quicker more condo ready boat that is not intended for passage making might be a better choice reality wise as Pete suggests. A lot of these boats are very nice for dockside entertaining, and far more user friendly for a day sail or weekend out than my old boat. Which I'm almost ready to head out to.
Everybody have a great weekend, maybe I'll see you out there!
TAREUA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2009, 14:16   #33

Boat: 82 Present, 13 ft dinghy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wainui View Post
I looked hard at many newer boats around the 50' lengths but could not bring myself to spend the $300 to $500k required. I brought a 1966 Cal 48 that needed much work for $50k and spent 4 years (weekends etc) and $75k restoring it. I now have maybe $50k that will not be recouped if sold. but a newer $500k boat would have dropped by at least $100k (not including the cost of money) over 5 years and I would not have aquired the repair skills that I now have.
I try to compare it to an old classic car that everybody comes over to admire, which makes the effort worthwhile. I do not believe that it is snobbery that motivates the older boat aficionado. I must admit that I like the look and sailing abilities of the newer Jeanneau 49
Each to his own
Mark
Mark, you make a lot of sense, as do most of, if not all of the replies to my questions and concerns. Seems to me the way to go is to find a boat that has been owned by a "Mark" where the bulk of the work has been done and buy that. I am handy with tools and have a garage full. That does not mean I enjoy using them all that much. I have found though, any money spent on tools comes back many times over. Besides that, I have found most work comes down to just doing it.

I am looking at a Nonsuch 30 and a Hunter 36, early 80's, with soft decks. I am kindda thinking about going to Houston next week or so to check them out. They are on Yachtworld.

Da Mule
Mule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2009, 16:37   #34

Boat: 82 Present, 13 ft dinghy
my oh my, the search feature here works really good. I found out what I needed to know, 'Ah got learned up on soft deck repairs.

Thanks anyway.
Mule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2009, 16:47   #35

Boat: 1995 Beneteau Oceanis 281
Mule, I read somwhere on a similar post once. "AS LONG AS YOU LOVE YOUR BOAT!"

Any boat can be safe through planning, maintanance, and experience. Find one you can't live without, and love it.

Launching in 3 days !!!!

Good Luck with your choice.
Waterborn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2009, 18:25   #36

New boats are a bit like new cars, they lose a lot of re-sale value as soon as they leave the showroom.

Production boats nowadays are mostly cruiser/racers with far too much and poorly thought out accommodation and general layout for cruising, nor are they engineered or constructed for serious cruising. They are designed for playing around in not far from shore, and are not really designed or suitable for serious cruising. 'Advanced construction techniques' in boats, just like cars, usually really means cheaper to build. Bolt on fin keels are a good example in boats and lots of plastic replacing steel and much thiner panels for light weight and better mileage is a good example in cars.

Seriously well built new cruising boats cost an arm and a leg and for good reasons. Ideal would be to look for a 10yr. old or less well built boat constructed for serious cruising but which has never done so [plenty around]. Due to the quality of construction and fittings, it shouldn't require many $ to bring it up to near new and save a packet in the process.
akabilk is offline   Reply With Quote