Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-10-2016, 11:40   #1

Ontario Yachts Ontario 32

I'm looking at purchasing a 1978 Ontario Yachts 32. Not too surprisingly there are moisture concerns on the deck around stanchions, anchor locker, cockpit floor around the pedestal, port chain-plates, mast collar. There was some seepage into the cabin from around one of the stanchions. Prior to it going on sale, all stanchion bases were rebed(ded?) and sealed. I've heard that Ontarios are almost overbuilt and that core issues in these boats is not as "dire" as in some others...Does anyone have an opinion on the boats and if it is worth just staying away from entirely. I learned to sail on an Ontario 32 so have a soft-spot so to speak for them. Which may be the cause of my continued interest in this boat when perhaps good sense should get me away from it.
Solsun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2016, 06:30   #2

Re: Ontario Yachts Ontario 32

These are a C&C designed boat and were very well built. Several have been taken offshore without issues so the pedigree is good. That said, they are getting long in the tooth, if you want one don't get in a hurry and buy a problem, shop until you find a real nice one that has really been looked after.
robert sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2017, 10:07   #3

Boat: Ontario 32

Just picked up an 1984 Ontario 32 with similar moisture concerns but the surveyor said that this was pretty standard for a boat of this age and it shouldn't be a problem. Some rebedding will be necessary. Can anyone explain to me how the secondary waste holding tank in the bilge is used? I am a bit of a newbie so if the answer is obvious please excuse my ignorance. Trying to find some experienced owners to help me sort out problems over the next few years. Thanks! Greg
palardyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2017, 10:30   #4

Secondary holding tank? Maybe it's a grey water vs. black water?
hobopacket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2017, 10:50   #5

Graywater vs blackwater? Will take a look. Still haven't mapped all the plumbing. One would think that a schematic plumbing diagram would exist but so far no reply from Ontario Yachts.
Old 05-01-2017, 11:13   #6

Boat: Amel Super Maramu 53 ft

Quote:
Originally Posted by palardyg View Post
Graywater vs blackwater? Will take a look. Still haven't mapped all the plumbing. One would think that a schematic plumbing diagram would exist but so far no reply from Ontario Yachts.
No need to look... smell should tell you!! GL
Eleuthera 2014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2017, 12:11   #7

Here is a diagram of the bilge/graywater plumbing on my '84 Ontario 32. The question is the manual pump in the head area which seems like it should pump out the graywater tank. The manual pump output hose is open ended. Maybe it is supposed to be hooked up to something. Or maybe you just manually pump the graywater into the commode if your automatic pump bilge fails.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Slide1.jpg
Views:	299
Size:	49.0 KB
ID:	140137  

Tags
ontario, yacht