Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-07-2024, 14:08   #1

Boat: 1974 Irwin 32
Operation/repair of Isuzu 2AB1 fuel primer pump

I have a Isuzu 2AB1 and fuel priming pump that I’m not sure is working correctly. I just got this boat and the engine is running fine so far. I WANT to check the fuel filter and know how to replace it when that becomes necessary, but I’m afraid to open the fuel system for fear of not being able to reprime it.

The 2AB1, I think, has a plunger-style primer rather than the level-style. When I try to manipulate the primer (in the Triangle annotation of the attached image), it doesn’t move - seems solid - though perhaps this is because the bleed valve is still closed?

The only thing I’ve been able to move is to unscrew the top of the plunger. Perhaps that’s step 1 for operating the plunger - unlocking it? However, once loosened, that top/plunger shaft and the spring around the shaft come off completely. The end of the shaft is cut to a ball maybe for a socket.

The fact that this pops off makes it seem broken to me. Is it? Can I repair it without replacing the $168 (says google search) primer assembly?

If I needed to replace that assembly, is that difficult?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0793.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	424.2 KB
ID:	292093  
mrmrsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2024, 15:19   #2

Boat: 35' Alden Design Cutter
Re: Operation/repair of Isuzu 2AB1 fuel primer pump

The primer top (1.) should unscrew then pop up (Not the entire primer). When it pops up, it works like a little pump.
The area that I circled (2.) is your bleed. You crack the outer nut loose and unscrew the center several turns with a flathead.

OK
1. unscrew the top of the primer pump
2. Loosen bleeder nut
3. loosen center bleeder with a flathead
4. pump primer until fuel and air comes out of the bleeder
5. keep pumping until there is no air
6. tighten bleeder
7. tighten bleeder nut
8. push the pump down and tighten
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	2.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	376.1 KB
ID:	292097  
Iron E is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2024, 15:21   #3

G’day mrmrsk and welcome to cruisers forum. The plunger on the priming pump is a fairly common failure, not because of bad design, but because it’s often not screwed down tightly enough and when it finally unscrews completely it’s then free to move up and down with the action of the fuel in the mechanical lift pump below it and a few hours of engine time is enough to wear out the piston seal and rod. You can get a kit to repair it OR a complete new priming pump for anywhere between $10 and $30 dollars. The newer pump has no screwdown function so far easier to operate. The hex on the lower end of your existing primer pump is there to undo it.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0062.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	216.6 KB
ID:	292096  
skipperpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2024, 15:37   #4

Oh, I nearly forgot the pentagon (lid ) ….. its a breather. Your injector pump has a dipstick and a drain plug just like the engine and is sealed completely, hence the breather. ya need to change the oil from time to time as it either leaks out, gets contaminated or gets diluted by diesel fuel from worn plungers. The dipstick is visible in your photo ….but not the drain plug.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0063.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	165.7 KB
ID:	292098  
skipperpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2024, 15:54   #5

Boat: 1974 Irwin 32

Oh wow! Thanks. I was also gonna ask about the breather because that part just pulls right off - I think "above" the bolt hex (yours is pictured upside-down) That looks like a cheap part I can/should replace too.

Is there a good place to identify the replacement parts available for this engine?
mrmrsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2024, 16:01   #6

Boat: 35' Alden Design Cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmrsk View Post
Oh wow! Thanks. I was also gonna ask about the breather because that part just pulls right off - I think "above" the bolt hex (yours is pictured upside-down) That looks like a cheap part I can/should replace too.

Is there a good place to identify the replacement parts available for this engine?
Don't hold me to it, but looking up 2AB1 Isuzu Diesel or 2AA1 Isuzu Diesel will get you about as close as you can get. Then use your eyeballs for the refinement. They were used in small tractors, snow blowers, etc.
Iron E is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
fuel, pump, repair