Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-01-2006, 16:08   #1

Boat: Ensenada 20
Question Opinions about Gulfstar 50 CC Ketch ??

We're thinking about going to Florida to look at this Gulfstar:

http://www.gulfstar50.com/

Pros & cons??

Watchouts??

Thanks.
Lightfin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2006, 16:59   #2

Boat: currently "on the beach"
When I started my boat search more than 2 years ago, I was planning on getting a liveaboard even though I would not be ready to go for at least a few years. The G50 was my favorite. I think they are a beautiful boat inside and out. Twice I came to offer and each time the boats had serious blisters and I walked away. Quality control was not good and these boats predate the change in resins. I would ask if there are any known issues. I would be blunt. I still think they are beautiful, but I would not assume anything.
I now would go smaller with something like a Bristol 38.8 or 41.1 w/ k/c. Tartan 372 and Pearson 422 or 424 and JBoats and Moody around 40' are also on my short list, not that you asked.

Larry

We have met the enemy and he is us. - Walt Kelly
capt lar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2006, 19:00   #3
Kai Nui

Check out SSullivan's pics and posts. He has refitted a G50 sloop for his charter business, and can probably tell you more from the inside out than most. His pics show an example of what can be done with the G50. As for the Ketch rig, I would take a ketch over any other rig for allot of reasons, not the least of which is sail combos.
Old 05-01-2006, 19:32   #4

Location: Ft. Lauderdale, FL currently CLODs [cruisers living on dirt]
See thread on SSCA board with exact same topic header
Jon D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2006, 06:06   #5

Sean's boat is not a G50. Newer ! Larry

Old 06-01-2006, 06:58   #6

Boat: Med Yachts 62 Trawler
Looked at several G50s during our search. Go for the 85hp version - later models in 79/80 I think - as the 64hp units were reportedly way underpowered.

Good interior space & sail plan if you can find one htat has not been abused / neglected. Blistering always a concern on the Gulfstars as noted already in this thread.

Enjoy your search!
Old 06-01-2006, 07:26   #7
cruiser

True... our GS is a Hirsh 45, with equipment and davits that cause it to be 50' LOA to the marinas we pay. So it is marketed to the general public (non-sailors) using that number, without naming the model, as a 50 foot sailing yacht.

It is actually a Hirsch 45 built buy Gulfstar. FANTASTIC boat, but of course... I'm biased.

Also, the main difference between a GS 50 and a Hirsch 45 is that the latter has a PHRF of 120. This is one of the reasons I got it. It moves along well for a big tank.

PS: No blistering.
ssullivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2006, 07:46   #8

Boat: Ensenada 20
Thanks to all for your feedback.

Sean, did you consider or research the 50? If so, what did you find and what do you think about them?

The current owner tells me that this particular boat has had 3 new epoxy barrier coats in 2005 and 5 coats of bottom paint in 2005. If so, does this mean that blistering should not be a concern???
Lightfin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2006, 08:24   #9

Again, with my past experiece - my question would be "why?". We don't wake up one day and say "Honey, think I'll peel the hull today." I read this as a bottom problem that has been addressed. The same is true for my Bristol 31.1 They were going to sell, found a blister problem, had it hopefully repaired. So far - so good. Does that mean no future problem - not necessarily. The quality of the repair is critical. The reason for the blisters is critical. The type of problem discovered is critical. Ask more questions. Ask what yard did the work. Call the foreman. Ask about warranty.
The Gulfstar I looked at in CA had a blister problem - large blisters in several areas. The boat was "repaired" and one year later, now up for sale, it had thousands of little blisters all over the bottom. The owner took the boat back to the yard that did the work and, under warranty, asked them to repair. They hauled the boat and immediately started their "repair" which was to drill 1/4" holes at every blister, fill with epoxy, sand and paint. Back in the water in a week. None of those steps were right. The broker was a liar, the yard was terrible, the boat was seriously affected and, after talking with a surveyor, I walked. Sad - eh ?

Larry

Old 06-01-2006, 13:43   #10
cruiser

Quote:
Lightfin once whispered in the wind:
Thanks to all for your feedback.

Sean, did you consider or research the 50? If so, what did you find and what do you think about them?

The current owner tells me that this particular boat has had 3 new epoxy barrier coats in 2005 and 5 coats of bottom paint in 2005. If so, does this mean that blistering should not be a concern???
We looked at the 50, but it was too old and too slow for us. There comes a threshold where on a boat of a certain age you will have to literally replace everything on it. I felt that a 1987 vintage would still be new enough to not need a complete re-fit. I was right. I have only had to completely re-finish the entire interior and exterior, upgrade the 12V system, buy a new refer, rebed everything that touches the deck, install lighting and new cabin soles. Oh, and let's not forget a genset, a tender, and a wood stove. I guess what I'm saying is it's a compromise. I picked one that was from 1987. I still needed to do all that to it (thank god there were no structural or other problems, but I made sure of this before purchasing). If you are buying an older boat, you must be certain of its condition. A GS 50 could be fine, but as with any older boat, make sure you know what's going on and get a good pre-purchase survey done.

Also, Capt Lar is 100% correct regarding multiple barrier coats. Nobody goes out and strips a hull down to install a barrier coat unless they have a problem to address. My gut says skip this boat and look at another GS 50 if you have found the boat you want.
Old 06-01-2006, 14:51   #11
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Amanda Faye 61' Custom Irwin aftcockpit ketch
In this area owners strip their boats and do epoxy barrier all the time. I did a blister job on my boat and I have not had any sign of problem in the 4 years sense I did it. I did 7 coats of WEST system. My question is what is wrong with buying a boat that has had work done if the wrok was done right? It is the surveyors job to make sure the bottom job is good.
Old 06-01-2006, 15:21   #12

Gunner - I absolutely agree. What I tried to say was...just because it was done does not mean it was done right.... It does not mean it was done wrong either, which is why I recommended getting more info from reliable sources - the yard and a surveyor. My Bristol had blisters and I bought her knowing it, after I did my homework.
I admit I have a bias on the G50 because their quality control was so bad and the cause of blisters in G50 seems to be extensive contamination in the glass according to surveyors I have talked to. (Also see G50 thread on SSCA) That suggests to me that the Gulfstar MAY have more likelyhood of future problems. Last, if the boat was going to live in New England and dry out 6 months of the year, I would be less concerned, but if she is going south for a few years, I think that also increases the risk. You make another good point - epoxy jobs don't last forever, so the answer to the original question of "should the blistering not be a concern" is,in my opinion still... "not necessarily". I would ask more questions, ask for survey, ask for repair invoice and, if she looks good, then jump a jet.

Larry

Old 06-01-2006, 15:23   #13
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Amanda Faye 61' Custom Irwin aftcockpit ketch
Well Larry , it sure looks to me that you and I are on the same page!
Old 06-01-2006, 16:06   #14
cruiser

Quote:
irwinsailor once whispered in the wind:
In this area owners strip their boats and do epoxy barrier all the time. I did a blister job on my boat and I have not had any sign of problem in the 4 years sense I did it. I did 7 coats of WEST system. My question is what is wrong with buying a boat that has had work done if the wrok was done right? It is the surveyors job to make sure the bottom job is good.
No kidding? I stand corrected. I had no idea anyone did that as a preventative measure.
Old 06-01-2006, 16:24   #15

There are many reasons to strip bottom paint, blisters being one. Performance can be severly affected if the bottom looks like corn on the cob. I have also seen paint failure where paint is failing at primer, including newer epoxy primer. These problem seem to come from applying non compatable paints or applying in inappropriate conditions. Gunner did his due to blisters. I would still think even the most anal of us would not do it without a perceived "need".

Larry

Tags
gulfstar, ketch