Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-06-2008, 19:37   #1

Boat: looking - but when I get one her name will be "Opportunity"
Opinions on a '71 Contest 30

I'm looking at a 1971 Contest that was on ebay. It sounds like it's in really good condition and has a lot of equipment and electronics. I can have it for $2000. How can I know if it's too good to be true. I live in SE Texas and the boat is docked in Boca Raton.
Any opinions/advice would be much appreciated.
angela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2008, 04:24   #2
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"
Would you buy a 37 year old car? If so what do you think it would be like?

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2008, 05:13   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
These boats generally sell for considerably more than $2K, so it sounds "too good ..."

Founded by Ed Conijn, Arjen Conijn now runs Conyplex b.v. in Medemblik (Holland), builders of Contest Yachts.

The Contest 30 was designed by Dick Zaal, and built between Built 1974 -to 1978 :
http://www.contestyachts.com/company...ntest%2030.pdf

Contest Yachts - Conyplex

Contest 30 ready for the islands.
Did you contact rwilliams for details & photos?
This is a well equipped and solid ocean cruising sailboat. She has all of the necessary amenities and a lot of comfort goodies. I have a complete list of the specifications and amenities. I also have photos. Send me an email for this information. You may reach me at rwilliams@out-pro.com I may also be reached at 910-228-2124. The boat is in Boca Raton and may be viewed if you call me.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2008, 20:44   #4

I would check the year. The Contest yachts were extremely well built. Given the age I would do a thorough survey and check the boats history the best you can. It may be a rel good deal, or not! If she is sound it is a boat that will take you anywhere. As I recall the mast were gold anodized and the rigging very stout, nice high bulwarks for offshore safety. The only downside is they had a very dark mahogany interior.
Rollo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2008, 07:55   #5

I'm very fond of my contest 27.
Interior is old world teak and white molded combo, not dark at all with the portholes.
My mast is gold anodized, typical northsea low aspect deck stepped rig, though I've seen photos with wood mast; perhaps a mod.
There is a member here has the 36 in nyc, forgotten who.
Even with the cost of a refit, (I did one), if there are no structural problems; you could have a boat that's really well constructed and a sweetheart offshore.
little boat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2008, 10:28   #6

Contest

I have sailed on both the 30 and 27 (when they were new and I was young) Very goog sailers and well balanced as I recall. I still remember the notches around the rudder post to lock the tiller when sailing on the 27! Fine boat. The 30 had the mahogany and the 27 teak in the interior.
Old 21-06-2008, 12:09   #7

Thanks Rollo for the snippet and the endorsement!
I've only run into a few of the 27's over the years and all were unattended; never yet met an owner.
I understand there are many more in Europe than this side of the pond.
One official HQ for contests in the U.S. was in Westport, Ct where I think they had a small fleet at one time. I have never tried to contact them to see if it is still active, though coincedentally, I grew up within a stone's throw of that shishi town.
I have heard that the 25 was a real 'cult' boat with a loyal following.
How I would have loved to see these boats fresh from the yard in Holland!
I envy you, Rollo and would adore hearing any other reminiscenses you retain re contest.
little boat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2008, 12:56   #8

Contest

I have a friend who owns a Contest 48 that was built in 1984. It is real stout, with center cockpit and hard windshield for protection. He sailed it to Mexico, Hawaii, over to Seattle and back to San Diego with his wife and three kids. Now he is lost because his kids are all grown and not available to crew.

The following address is for a guy whos father was the importer of the Contest boats back in the 70's & 80's. He(the son) is a boat dealer and sailing club. He should be able to give you more info on the boats.

Martin van Breems
54 Calf Pasture Beach Rd
06855 Norwalk
tel: +1 (203) 838 1110
fax: +1 (203) 838 0377
Old 04-08-2009, 10:41   #9

Van Breems is no longer selling Contest, but Hanse now. I would tread carefully. I knew both the old man and the son and bought a yacht from the old man.
Sandero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 11:01   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by defjef View Post
Van Breems is no longer selling Contest, but Hanse now. I would tread carefully. I knew both the old man and the son and bought a yacht from the old man.
Your point?
Old 23-01-2012, 09:23   #11

Re: Opinions on a '71 Contest 30

Hi defjef.

I know you are very familiar with the Contest boats, and hope that maybe you can help. Do you know if the Raider 35 is related to Conyplex Contest brand in any way. Do you know if the Raider 35 has a solid deck or a cored deck?

Here is a link describing the Raider 35 - a racer designed by Frans Maas, built by De Visser
RAIDER 35 sailboat on sailboatdata.com

Many thanks for any help you can provide.

littlewing
svlittlewing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2012, 15:09   #12
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Wauquiez Centurion 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
These boats generally sell for considerably more than $2K, so it sounds "too good ..."

Founded by Ed Conijn, Arjen Conijn now runs Conyplex b.v. in Medemblik (Holland), builders of Contest Yachts.

The Contest 30 was designed by Dick Zaal, and built between Built 1974 -to 1978 :
http://www.contestyachts.com/company...ntest%2030.pdf

Contest 30 ready for the islands.
Did you contact rwilliams for details & photos?
This is a well equipped and solid ocean cruising sailboat. She has all of the necessary amenities and a lot of comfort goodies. I have a complete list of the specifications and amenities. I also have photos. Send me an email for this information. You may reach me at rwilliams@out-pro.com I may also be reached at 910-228-2124. The boat is in Boca Raton and may be viewed if you call me.
There was an earlier Contest 30 designed by van Essen. here is a link to one for sale in the UK
CONOPLEX BV HOLLAND CONTEST 30/1 Used Boat for Sale | TheYachtMarket
mitiempo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2012, 15:17   #13

Boat: Contest 29

I own a Contest 29 that has been around the world (previous owner) and I cant speak highly enough of them. They absolutely inspire confidence and would be happy to be aboard in any weather.
Contest29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2012, 15:28   #14
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Opinions on a '71 Contest 30

The OP is 4years old by the way...
And Contest 29's are pretty good as well...

You can't oppress a people for over 75 years and have them say.. "I Love You.. ".
"It is better to die standing proud, than to live a lifetime on ones knees.."
Self defence is not an excuse for murder.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2012, 15:36   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by svlittlewing View Post
Hi defjef.

I know you are very familiar with the Contest boats, and hope that maybe you can help. Do you know if the Raider 35 is related to Conyplex Contest brand in any way. Do you know if the Raider 35 has a solid deck or a cored deck?

Here is a link describing the Raider 35 - a racer designed by Frans Maas, built by De Visser
RAIDER 35 sailboat on sailboatdata.com

Many thanks for any help you can provide.

littlewing
I owned a 74 Contest 27...and lived aboard for several years.

Really liked the design. The interior was magnificent. It had more useable storage than my current 30 footer. Boat was a wonderful heavy weatber boat. She lovedto frolic at 15 kts and above.

t was difficult to work on though. I'd find things like the nuts on the bolts to the stantchion bases under several layers of glass for instance. Trying to find parts was always an experience as well, although the advent of the internet should help with that.

Watch for serious gelcoat issues. Every Contest I've seen of that era has fairly major cracking.

And tbat boat taught me to hate Volvos.

AFAIK Conuplex had nothing to do with that other brand.
sidmon is offline   Reply With Quote