Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-02-2012, 20:15   #1

Boat: none yet
Opinions on a Pearson 365 Sloop vs. CS-36T

I would appreciate getting opinions and knowledge regarding a Pearson-365 sloop rigged model versus a CS ( Canadian Sailcraft) 36 Traditional with shoal draft.

After several months of searching for my next boat I have narrowed it down to these. Both are one owner boats that have been very well maintained and up-graded. The Pearson is a 1980 and the CS is 1981. Both are freshwater only boats. I am very familiar with the CS-36 since they were made near my home. I know little about the P-365 . It appears they made more ketch & cutter rigged boats and few sloops. Anyone have experience on the sloop-365?
My plans are to head south ( Bahamas maybe Caribbean) for 3-4 months each winter to escape the cold up here in Canada.
The price is comparable so which would use select for my sailing needs. Not into racing ( obviously) but seek a stiff & stable boat that is easy to handle with limited crew.

Thanks, Allan
allan C&C less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 17:39   #2

Boat: Custom 41' Steel Pilothouse Cutter
Re: Opinions on a Pearson-365 sloop vs. CS-36T

CS-36 in a heartbeat. The Pearson, build-wise, is a Chevy. The CS-36 is an Oldsmobile. With shoal draft.

But they are both 30 plus years old. I would specify sale subject to survey, engine oil analysis if not repowered and a sea trial.

Keep in mind that if you head south, your "perfectly good freshwater rigging" could, at 30 years, fail. Going into saltwater, I would re-rig completely, and see if the sails need upgrading for heavier air, as the Great Lakes usually feature light air and lighter sails.

Also, you would likely want an engine rebuild, not from over use, but under use. After all, that's 30 years of winterizations and oil changes you weren't present to log.
Can't sail? Read about our travels at https://alchemyonpassage.blogspot.com/. Can't sleep? Read www.alchemy2009.blogspot.com for fast relief. Can't read? Avoid www.volumesofsalt.blogspot.com, because it's just personal reviews of sea books.
S/V Alchemy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 17:51   #3

Can't get a P-365 to beat to weather with drum. Love the interior layout though. Do not like the engine set up, in backwards with a v-drive
Morgan3820 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 18:37   #4

Location: Cayuga Lake NY - or on the boat somewhere south of there
Boat: Caliber 40

Ditto on the new standing rigging. I got a freshwater 1989 boat and replaced it all before heading to the Caribbean. Not something you want to have to worry about.
sck5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 18:41   #5

Boat: none yet

Thanks for the comments.

S/V Alchemy - Not sure what you mean by "Great Lakes usually feature light air and lighter sails" ??? I have sailed from Toronto to the Caribbean. My roughest sea I have ever experienced was on Lake Ontario. I believe the sails and standard rigging of either model were designed for island hoping.

Both boats are shoal draft. The --365 is 4'6" & Cs-36 4'11"

Both boats have got new rigging and newer sails. The sails on the P-365 is 3 years old.

The P-365 has a new engine with 700 hours. The CS has a rebuild engine with 1100 hours.

I am not a fan of the V-drive engine either but not a deal maker.
allan C&C less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 09:06   #6

Boat: Custom 41' Steel Pilothouse Cutter
Re: Opinions on a Pearson 365 Sloop vs. CS-36T

Having experienced 60-plus knots on Lake Ontario during squalls, as opposed to 45 knots or so on the open Atlantic, I would tend to agree.

But it's a different case in my view.

The squalls on Lake Ontario, while strong, are over sometimes in a matter of minutes. You can get 25 knots around the clock in the Caribbean for weeks at a time, with higher gusts. There's no comparison when it comes to wind, and most Lake Ontario boats have, in general, lighter weight working sails because 15 knots is all there is much of the time, and 15 knots is the top speed they will go out into. Triple stitching and beefy tape at the corners not required or desired. Add to that that the sails might be quite elderly, if still good for Lake Ontario absent squalls, and you have a situation where the sails flog and chafe and split after a month in the strong tropical sunshine. Perhaps for some reason, both boat sellers installed "offshore-weight" sails for their daysailers, but I would guess it's more likely you have a newer set of light-air sails.

Whether the rigging on either boat was designed for island-hopping (how would that be different from any other rigging?) is not as important as its age...newer on Lake Ontario is not necessarily. Again, it's the law of averages at play. Freshwater rigging can last for ages with light service and a close examination of pins and tangs and swage entries. Salt water rigging has well-attested "best before" dates, so again, newer is relative.

I would still prefer the CS-36. It's easy to sail and drier than most aft. Glad to hear the engines are relatively fresh. Both are probably 35-40 HP, I would guess.
Can't sail? Read about our travels at https://alchemyonpassage.blogspot.com/. Can't sleep? Read www.alchemy2009.blogspot.com for fast relief. Can't read? Avoid www.volumesofsalt.blogspot.com, because it's just personal reviews of sea books.
S/V Alchemy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 09:10   #7

Boat: Marine Trader 34DC

Allan, I have had the opportunity to sail both for extended periods of time. The CS would be my choice, hands down. There is really no comparison in construction and sailing ability. As with any boat, a thorough survey by a qualified surveyor is a must. Chuck

The Trawler Beach House
Voyages Of Sea Trek
AnchorageGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 09:15   #8

I Think both are good boats. Get the one you prefer the layout in the most. A lot of Pearsons have been cruised. I've had V drives and see no reason to avoid them. Mine were Hurth. If either is a Velvet drive, just a word of warning , a rebuilt transmission can run $4500!
Managed properly, normal everyday sails will be fine in the Caribe. It's mostly daysailing with a few overnighters really!

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
pearson 365, sloop