Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-07-2009, 17:17   #1

Opinions on Buying a C&C 27

I've never owned a Sailboat, so don't know all the questions to ask.

I think I might be interested in buying a C&C27, though do not know for sure.

1) is Diesel preferred to gas inboard? If so why?

I've seen a few for sale that are about a 4 - 4 1/2 drive from me. I was thinking once I've decided I'm actually going to buy a boat and that I see a boat that seems to meet my criteria I would do the following:

Contact and ask more thorough questions and ask for more recent pictures of the entire boat including hull if it is out of water.

If all the answers and pictures seem to indicate that it might be worth getting a surveyor to look at it, then I would arrange to come see it and have it surveyed.

If it passes or nothing big is identified, then done deal.

I guess the right thing would be to drive down look at it myself, then if it appears in good shape etc.... arrange for a survey. But then I'd have to make another trip.

The problem is I don't know all the questions to ask since I've never owned a boat.

Suggestions?

1) ever in salt water
2) age/condition and # of sails
3) when was it last hull coated
4) any history of osmosis or any hull issues?
5) any history of structural issues
6) electrical systems all work
7) engine history?
8) water,fuel line, head issues?
9) condition of wood below and above deck?

obviously the seller cannot be trusted so to speak on the answers, but I guess it is a starting point.

Are all C&C27 rigged with a traveler in the cockpit? If so I guess this means you could never fully enclose cockpit with dodger, bimini etc... for foul weather?

Is a 30hp inboard diesel too much? most I've seen have a 7 or 7.5hp
outdoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2009, 17:24   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: Gozzard 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Pblais
Quote:
If all the answers and pictures seem to indicate that it might be worth getting a surveyor to look at it, then I would arrange to come see it and have it surveyed.
If possible and it's your first boat you should go there yourself. If you have to Captain the boat it ought to be a boat you like. It takes a lot of time and lovin to own a boat so don't run off and get married to her until you are sure. Then call the surveyor and don't fall in love until she passes inspection.

Listen to the seller and pay the surveyor. Not everyone is out to cheat you. Only people that really know you can try that.
Pblais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2009, 17:55   #3

Boat: '75 Hunter 27 SD
I looked at a C&C 25 before I bought my Hunter 27. I really wanted to look at a C&C 27 that was for sale as well, but the owner wasn't keen on letting anyone look at it . Anyways the 25 was very nice, and C&C made great boats I think.

C&C (Mk V) - Used Sailboat Market in Canada

great site to compare small sail boats

My club www.SYClub.ca
Greenman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2009, 18:13   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by outdoor View Post
1) is Diesel preferred to gas inboard? If so why?.............

Is a 30hp inboard diesel too much? most I've seen have a 7 or 7.5hp
Diesels are simpler, stronger, like to be run under load, and the fuel is much safer. OTOH, a good old Atomic 4 probably puts out a lot more power than the diesels they put in older C&C 27s.

Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows (River Rat to Mole)
slomotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2009, 18:30   #5

Boat: Shamrock 246 Open
Diesels are much safer since the fumes are not flammable. I get nervous when changing fuel filters, lines, pumps ext in a closed compartment on my boat.

I do agree that the atomic 4 is a good engine and as long as you take the right precautions it should be fine.

I don't think 30hp is overpowered but does seem large compared to most 27'ers. I like the idea of the bigger engine if fuel capacity and physical size is not a problem.
scubasteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2009, 20:08   #6

Boat: CSY 44 Tall rig Sold!
I remember my first boat, a c&c 33 , wonderfull boat, sail fantastic, there is some points to check very carefully in a c&c .
1 keel to hull joint , many c&c are prone to keel smiling,
2 the status of the core in hull and deck , c&c have cored hulls and decks, check for delamination and moisture content specially close to the keel.
3 bulkheads, because c&c use second liners in the structure and bulkheads are secure in the liner slot, flexing and a hard sailing past made the bulkheads to move out from the slots, chainplates in c&c are secure to bulkheads to, check for rot wood in this areas.
The bilges in some c&c are flat , standing water in the bilge , close inspection to the mast base and bulkheads in contact with bilge.
4 Rod rigging is another feature in c&c , and here the same , close inspection and if the rigging is 5 years old my sugestion is replace the rod or change to wire.

Here is some points to remember in a c&c and i talk under my experience with a c&c, in any case c&c are terrifics under sail, good windward ability , fast, nice hull lines , in other words wonderfull boats. I own right now a csy 44, a big diference , but some times i miss my old c&c.
Good luck .
neilpride is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
c&c