Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-07-2012, 09:02   #16

Re: Opinions on CAL 3-30

The Cal 34 is a solid cruiser, but despite being longer, it is slower than the Cal 3-30. The 34 also has a wheel, while the Cal 3-30 has a tiller. I much prefer the tiller, adds less weitht to boat and is much simpler to maintain then the cable system of the wheel.
Ben Cuker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2012, 09:16   #17

Boat: Cal 34

Actually, quite a few of the Cal 34s have a tiller, mine included. I too like the feel of a tiller, but for single handing, be sure you have a good tiller pilot.
As far as speed, I guess you would need to weigh the pros and cons of a slightly faster trip over the comfort the 34 would give you.
For some pics of what a 34 looks like, take a look at my blog in the signature below.
Good luck!
S/VSkylark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2012, 09:26   #18

I stand corrected! All the Cal 34's I have seen on the Chesapeake have wheels. Good to know some have tillers. Lapworth alos put a tiller on his famous Cal 40.
Ben Cuker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2012, 09:32   #19

Boat: C&C 40

I love cal’s. I almost bought one myself! My friend had a cal 40, it was a fantastic boat! It seems to me you can’t go wrong with ‘em. (lots of fun to sail)!
CnC40sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2023, 05:04   #20

I owned a 1974 Cal 3-30 in Northern California, and sailed it all over the bay and the delta, arguably, the best boat I ever owned. I really loved this boat, and honestly, I am sad I sold it. These boats, like all Cal boats, are built tough and fast. I would do the South Tower race every year with this boat which ran from Stockton to the south tower of the Golden Gate Bridge, a roundtrip of about 150 miles. The last year I did the race, the winds never dipped below 40 knots on the upwind leg, with gusts likely hitting 50-55. The carnage was everywhere. 2-3 boats were dismasted, 1 boat sank, 1 lost a rudder. Our boat , Voodoo Child, happily beat to weather in 5-7' wind waves, with just a mule flying , no main up at all, doing 7.5 knots the whole time. Did I mention these boats are fast and tough? We finished the race second place in our division. I could tell you other tales of huge seas off the coast of California, running off before hurricane force winds, but it would sound silly, and that's not really the point. These are fabulous boats. I would happily cross an ocean in one. The only areas of concern as far as I am concerned would be the keel bolts, ensuring your rudder and rudder stock are in good order, and of course replace all of the standing rigging. Also, if it has an atomic 4 in it, which is likely, try to replace it with a nice little diesel of some vintage. You will discover that the Atomic 4 tend to not be reliable, are prone to failure from moisture, and corrosion. great boats. Buy it, Hell buy 2, they're small.
johngurney1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2023, 15:27   #21

Hello there all. I could not help but to post, I own a cal25mk2 and it is hull number 335 it is not bad, It has been put through the ringer and still sprung back in shape, I had to do some glass work on the aft bulkhead as it was impacted and would have been issue. But other than the basic normal small issues it really is a great vessel. I hope to sail the Great loop in the end of next summer with the old gal. best.
Solafide is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cal