Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-11-2011, 10:53   #31
CF Adviser

Location: Wherever our boat is; Playa Zaragoza, Isla Margarita
Boat: 1994 Solaris Sunstream 40
Re: Opinions on Double-Enders

I have managed to locate the 'Moses' quote by Bob Perry that I referred to earlier:

"I have never bought into the often heard Moses theory that the pointed stern 'parts the waves'. For safety in heavy weather running, I would prefer to see a stern with more bouyancy aft and that's why I used the tumblehome canoe stern as seen on the Valiant yachts. With this shape the volume is pulled as far aft as possible before pinching it together. Certainly bringing the ends together can produce a 'balanced' set of waterlines that may enhance a boat's helm predictability.

I've designed sterns that have ' the shape you love to pat' myself, but I've put those sterns on boats whose sections were full right aft. It is an aesthetic thing, yes, but I make no claims that it makes a boat safer in heavy seaways."

Michael Badham and Robby Robinson, Sailors' Secrets, Camden Maine: International Marine,1999, at p. 193

Brad
Southern Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2011, 05:28   #32

Boat: Catalina 34

More good reading from Perry on double enders here: Sail Far Live Free: Double Enders According to Perry (Guest Post by Bob Perry)
Old 27-12-2011, 05:50   #33
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Cape George 31

How a boat glides through the water, and whether it pitches or rolls excessively is more related to what is under there bow to keelson rather than what shape is above the waterline aft. I think double-enders and canoe sterns are ugly and with a frightful lack of space. The reason they ride well in the sea (some of them), is because they usually have a heavy, long, deep keel, which is what makes a boat worth putting to sea in. Canoe stern or not is (IMO) just a matter of taste--but I find the Lyle Hess and Bill Atkins designs with actual transoms far more appealing.
Benz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2011, 06:51   #34

Boat: Chevrier 36

Thanks for posting the link to bob Perry's article on your website - great article and a great website. I'll be visiting often.

As someone with a Tahitiana - the Weston Farmer double-ender, I agree with the comments about the frightful lack of space at the stern. But "Kuan Yin" is what she is, she's taking me where I want to go and, to me, she's aesthetically very lovely.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	KY  Main depSM.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	387.0 KB
ID:	35158